Subtank Mini RBA constantly shorting out on iStick 50w

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlsnk

Apr 28, 2015
WHO DEY NATION
Hey gang. First post, long time lurker. Need some help. I cannot for the life of me get my Kanger Subtank Mini rba to fire properly. It's definitely an issue with the deck, I can't even get it to dry fire. Here's my setup.

Subtank Mini
iStick 50w
26ga twisted kanthal, 5 wraps around Subtank screwdriver
comes in @ .5ohms

Checked the tightness of the deck into the base, the base into the battery, and the coils into the pins/screws. I attempt to fire at 22w (3.3v) and it fires for 0.3 seconds and then shorts, screen blinking "Power Low". Tried to fire at various voltages, no dice. Messed with coil positioning. Nope. Tried disassembling and reassembling multiple times. Still nothing. Did a ton of searching on this and other forums as well as blogs, sites, etc. Couldn't find anyone that was having this issue. I have some pics I can throw on here as well to show my coil and iStick settings.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I have been using the rba for about two weeks without a hitch until last night when I got a couple misfires. A couple more misfires this morning until it went straight FUBAR this afternoon. First week worked flawlessly with straight 26g kanthal 5 wraps @ .5ohms, then flawlessly for two nights straight using the twisted kanthal setup. I am clueless, any ideas??

20150427_210631-1-1.jpg 20150427_210651-1.jpg 20150427_210614-1.jpg 20150427_210931-1.jpg

Edit: Obviously made sure Power Low wasn't due to battery being dead. Happens when it's plugged into charger as well, and with full battery.

Edit2: Couldn't not vape, so threw in the OCC .5ohm premade that came with the tank and it's puffing smooth as silk. Gotta be an issue with the deck...

Edit3: Just had misfires #1 & 2 with the OCC. Now I am just utterly confused.

Last edited:

evlsnk

Apr 28, 2015
WHO DEY NATION
I have a new Lethal clone RDA coming in the mail I can try once it gets here. Other than that I do not have another tank.

Reason the coil is sitting so high was to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't touching any part of the deck itself other than the posts. I am dry firing with no casing or chimney, just deck and coil and that's it. that's when I am getting the Power Low message.

Reactions: heath71

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a new Lethal clone RDA coming in the mail I can try once it gets here. Other than that I do not have another tank.

Reason the coil is sitting so high was to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't touching any part of the deck itself other than the posts. I am dry firing with no casing or chimney, just deck and coil and that's it. that's when I am getting the Power Low message.

If you're having problems doing Dry Fires without the Cover or Chimney, something is Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs.

Have you tried doing a little Higher Build? Say .8 Ohms or so.

evlsnk

Apr 28, 2015
WHO DEY NATION
If you're having problems doing Dry Fires without the Cover or Chimney, something is Coo Coo Cocoa Puffs.

Have you tried doing a little Higher Build? Say .8 Ohms or so.
I have not - yet. I threw my OCC in the tank because I was wanting to vape and obviously the rba wasn't working. When I get time tomorrow I will try a higher resistance coil on the RBA.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have not - yet. I threw my OCC in the tank because I was wanting to vape and obviously the rba wasn't working. When I get time tomorrow I will try a higher resistance coil on the RBA.

I hope it works. The .5 Ohms OCC giving you problems Isn't a good sign.

Could be the iStick Battery isn't performing all that well. And the iStick is trying to protect itself. A Higher Ohm Build will probably tell what is going on.

evlsnk

Apr 28, 2015
WHO DEY NATION
I hope it works. The .5 Ohms OCC giving you problems Isn't a good sign.

Could be the iStick Battery isn't performing all that well. And the iStick is trying to protect itself. A Higher Ohm Build will probably tell what is going on.
Alright. Does it matter what volts specifically I dry fire at? I try to keep it somewhere between 3 and 4, figure that's around what I'd be using when actually vaping. Obviously the watts will vary depending on the resistance of the build.

Are there common issues with the iStick I should be aware of? Never even thought about it being the battery itself...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Alright. Does it matter what volts specifically I dry fire at? I try to keep it somewhere between 3 and 4, figure that's around what I'd be using when actually vaping. Obviously the watts will vary depending on the resistance of the build.

Are there common issues with the iStick I should be aware of? Never even thought about it being the battery itself...

When I Dry Fire a coil after I build, I like to Fire it at Low Wattage, 10W or so. Easier on the Coil. I just Pulse it until the Entire Coil is Happy Red. Not Angry Orange.

I haven't kept up on the iStick 50. I have two iStick 20's. Haven't had any problems with them. But I don't Build much below 1.1 Ohms.

Try adding an Extra Loop. Or maybe even 2 and I think your Problems will go away. If they Don't, I think the Problem is your iStick. And not your Subtank Mini

evlsnk

Apr 28, 2015
WHO DEY NATION
Moved to New Members Forum

Simple Solutions is for brand new vapers using basic beginning equipment. :)
Sorry 'bout that.

BTW - If raising the Ohms a tad Doesn't work, you might Link this thread to a Post in this Thread...

Eleaf Istick | E-Cigarette Forum

It is a Humongous Thread. And I am sure that Someone there has had the Exact Same problem you are having.
Alright i will give that thread a look. I just saw this thread:
istick 50 watt exploded | E-Cigarette Forum
And now I am wondering if I should just try to take the thing back to the shop I bought it at. if it's already acting up, I don't want to risk burning down my entire condo complex...
:evil:
Seems eLeaf knows about issues but seems to be stiff arming people having said issues. not to derail my own thread, just wanted to bring it up.

Regardless, I will try a higher ohm build tomorrow and post my results.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Seems eLeaf knows about issues but seems to be stiff arming people having said issues. not to derail my own thread, just wanted to bring it up.

Regardless, I will try a higher ohm build tomorrow and post my results.

Yeah... I would see what a Higher build does 1st.

As to eLeaf knowing there are problems and then "Stiff Arms" people? I'm not sure I could say that?

The Problem is that I don't know of Any APV that hasn't had a Issue. And I know for every person who posts that there is a Problem, there are Hundreds if not Thousands of people who Don't have a Problem, and Don't post anything.

There is also the Issue of 1:1 Clones. How many APV's have had problems and they weren't Genuine OEM Products? But the OEM still gets the Blame.

If I had bought this iStick from a B&M, I would probably take it back.

dmwalker24

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Little Elm, TX
I had problems with the rebuildable deck on my Subtank mini. Resistance jumping all over the place. Also the power low and the 50w shutting off until the usb charging cable was plugged in. For at least part of the problem I found that the pin on the bottom of the deck section can become loose causing a faulty connection inside the tank base. You can just tighten that pin back up by screwing it back down to the rest of the deck.

As for the power low and the shutdown issue I think those are bugs with the early version of the 50w as I've had those issues with my Goblin RTA as well.

Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread