Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I have a question for the istick folks... if you buy the full kit, with the cable and wallwart and 510/ego adapter... is that a 1A cable/wallwart? I bought my iStick just by itself, no kit, and Im using my .5A charging cables and wallwart; if the one that comes with the iStick is for 1A, then it would be worth it for me to buy the full kit for my next one. If it's not a 1A cable, then I'll just get another mod-only.

Andria

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It's highly preferable to let your battery rest for at least an hour after charging so that all the little excited bits inside the battery can migrate off the poles and back to the center of the battery where they belong.

I like that. :) It's actually very helpful. TY

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have a question for the iStick folks... if you buy the full kit, with the cable and wallwart and 510/ego adapter... is that a 1A cable/wallwart? I bought my iStick just by itself, no kit, and Im using my .5A charging cables and wallwart; if the one that comes with the iStick is for 1A, then it would be worth it for me to buy the full kit for my next one. If it's not a 1A cable, then I'll just get another mod-only.

Andria

Hi, Andria! I only own iSticks 20 and 30--never needed 50 watts so I never got one. But I bought mine without chargers; I use the USB chargers that came with my two MVP 2 and I have an Apple (made in Japan) wall wart; Output 5v-1A. Never had a problem with this setup. I never leave my charging batteries unattended, I never charge overnight, and I always try to take them off the charge as soon as they are done. Those things can be dangerous, so I'm extra vigilant.

Having said that, I'm beginning to think that iSmoka should recall iStick 50--too many problems. And someone may eventually get hurt.

Reactions: YoursTruli

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Meh this is why I never started with non removable batteries that I know have certain headroom based on published stats from the manufacturer. Be safe folks. I'm glad you made it out through this ordeal unhurt, scary indeed.

Not to be argumentative, but replaceable batteries are not much safer, really. I could post a few pictures of thermal runaways (in a ProVari), but that's off topic. Bottom line--batteries store energy>this energy is always trying to escape>sometimes it finds a way.

Heck, even Boeing had problems with lithium batteries. Big problems, as I recall. ;)

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Not to be argumentative, but replaceable batteries are not much safer, really. I could post a few pictures of thermal runaways (in a ProVari), but that's off topic. Bottom line--batteries store energy>this energy is always trying to escape>sometimes it finds a way.

Heck, even Boeing had problems with lithium batteries. Big problems, as I recall. ;)
You are 100% right when you say this. Actually non replaceable batteries should be safer if the electronics can do proper readings and have good cut off stages. The reason I said what I did is because I invested in a charger with features like slow initial charging to revive fully drained batteries, and also have a .25 amp charge rate and .5 and 1, and good cut off when reaching the capacity of full charge. Basically I've spoiled myself with safegaurds that created illusions, while also using reliable Sony Vtc 4 batteries with good track record.

Bradinpenn

Apr 28, 2015
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Really not helpful :( - Robino1

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
And for those thinking removable batteries are superior- someone posted yesterday that Nitecore has a recall out on a charger of theirs.
At most, these recalls are usually only 5-10% effective.
Nitecore doesn't have a recall from what I've read. The problem is counterfeit nitecore chargers.
Counterfeit Nitecore D4 Digi Charger - UPDATED 28/04/2015 Recall | Electrical Safety First
Also by having removable batteries you decide what cell you use in your device. You can choose to use reputable companies like AW, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung off the top of my head or roll the dice with something else. Buying enclosed battery devices you have zero control over what cell the company chooses to use.

Also having a good charger and removable batteries will alert you to when a cell is going bad and let you take it out of rotation.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I have a question for the iStick folks... if you buy the full kit, with the cable and wallwart and 510/ego adapter... is that a 1A cable/wallwart? I bought my iStick just by itself, no kit, and Im using my .5A charging cables and wallwart; if the one that comes with the iStick is for 1A, then it would be worth it for me to buy the full kit for my next one. If it's not a 1A cable, then I'll just get another mod-only.

Andria

Andria, the charger that comes with the iStick is a 1 amp rated charger. I have been using that to charge my iStick 50 (and the iStick 30 before I PIF'ed it) and have had no problems with it at all. Neither the charger nor the iStick got warm when recharging. IMO, the failure has to do with the circuitry inside it which controls the charging. Instead of stepping down the charger into trickle charge mode as it nears capacity and shutting off the charging when full, it continued charging. We don't know if the circuitry was faulty from the factory or if it was damaged some how.

FWIW, just in yesterday's news, a student's cell phone burst into flames in their locker at some school.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I've only had my iStick 50W for a few weeks. I had to wait for the local B&M vendor to restock before I could buy it. Mine may be a recent revision. On the bottom plate there's an etched label that says CE 4400mah 5V---1A. The 1A rating should refer to charging rate since high voltages paired with lower resistances produce much higher output amperage at the atty coil.

I've heard of auto fire malfunctions. Mine hasn't done that so far. I could see how batteries could get overheated if it was constantly firing for 10 seconds repetitively without some rest time.

Hey Dave...always good to see your posts.

My few weeks old 50w may be newer as well as I waited for restock. The only irregularity I have noticed is the occasional " the VV/VW dance." Does yours ever exhibit this?

Reactions: DaveP

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hi, Andria! I only own iSticks 20 and 30--never needed 50 watts so I never got one. But I bought mine without chargers; I use the USB chargers that came with my two MVP 2 and I have an Apple (made in Japan) wall wart; Output 5v-1A. Never had a problem with this setup. I never leave my charging batteries unattended, I never charge overnight, and I always try to take them off the charge as soon as they are done. Those things can be dangerous, so I'm extra vigilant.

Having said that, I'm beginning to think that iSmoka should recall iStick 50--too many problems. And someone may eventually get hurt.

Right, I never charge unattended either, after viewing some of the pics and vids posted here at ECF. *shudder*

The only USB-to-micro-USB's and wallwarts that I have came with a) my eRoll, and b) my iTaste vv3, and those being such low-power devices, I'm thinking the cables only accommodate .5A -- that's why I was wondering if the one that comes with the iStick30 might be a 1A cable and/or wallwart -- I don't actually know which part selects the proper charging amperage, but I'm pretty sure that whatever I have, being for lower-power devices, probably only goes up to .5A.

Andria

Reactions: Katya

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Andria, the charger that comes with the iStick is a 1 amp rated charger. I have been using that to charge my iStick 50 (and the iStick 30 before I PIF'ed it) and have had no problems with it at all. Neither the charger nor the iStick got warm when recharging. IMO, the failure has to do with the circuitry inside it which controls the charging. Instead of stepping down the charger into trickle charge mode as it nears capacity and shutting off the charging when full, it continued charging. We don't know if the circuitry was faulty from the factory or if it was damaged some how.

FWIW, just in yesterday's news, a student's cell phone burst into flames in their locker at some school.

Ok, that's good to know; I had told my husband about all this, with the 1A charging, and that the next one I buy, I would most likely get the full kit. Already got a 510/ego adapter, but never hurts to have a couple, and that higher amperage charging would sure get it charged faster. :thumb:

Andria

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I just ordered the eleaf Istick 50W. Is this a common problem, should I be afraid here to use this?

Next question, same order eleaf Istick 50W kit, does it come with the wall charger or will it come with charger that plugs into my computer? Ordered from vaperoyalty.

The problems can be serious. Thus, somewhat high profile. It's not clear what the frequency of serious problems are though it seems quite a few have the minor quirk of changing between Voltage and Wattage on the display. It may be a small percentage that have serious failure problems, but percentages are not known.

Whether or not you get the wall charger or a cable depends on what you bought. Often those sold with a charger, cable and Ego adaptor are referred to as a 'full kit.' The full kits cost a bit more than the mod only. There are variants that include a cable only, I believe. Check your sales receipt (email?) and the listings on the site if you bought online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread