3,452 Parents and Grandparents urge President Obama to protect children from all tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
70% of smokers do not develop a dependency to smoking.
that is why half of all smokers have quit by themselves by
their 30's.
regards
mike

Those numbers don't make a lot of sense; if 70% don't develop addiction, then why do only half quit before they're 30? I would be willing to wager that anyone who persists in smoking past their teens is probably addicted, as much as they might wish it were otherwise. I'll grant you that most who experiment with smoking, nowadays, probably don't persist past their teens, but many do develop addiction while still in their teens -- I was a 2 pk a day smoker before I was 18. The stuff that BT adds to the tobacco seems to be for the express purpose of making sure that anyone who tries more than a couple will probably become addicted -- that's BT's bread and butter.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Those numbers don't make a lot of sense; if 70% don't develop addiction, then why do only half quit before they're 30? I would be willing to wager that anyone who persists in smoking past their teens is probably addicted, as much as they might wish it were otherwise.

I didn't smoke in my teens but understand that's likely an exception for most smokers. I think weight reduction/maintenance is another factor - maybe a big one - for people to continue to smoke. And why some return, no doubt. I just liked smoking and liked the nic in my bloodstream as well, without those other factors.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I didn't smoke in my teens but understand that's likely an exception for most smokers. I think weight reduction/maintenance is another factor - maybe a big one - for people to continue to smoke. And why some return, no doubt. I just liked smoking and liked the nic in my bloodstream as well, without those other factors.

And don't forget the emotional disorders that benefit from those alkaloids in tobacco smoke. After my last go-round with clinical depression, I figured the suicidal tendencies were a much bigger threat to my well-being than my smoking, which is why when I first discovered e-cigs, I was thinking about reducing smoking, not having to go outside in the cold, more than I thought about quitting -- I didn't think I *COULD* quit and wasn't stressing over it too much. Though seeing my dad's death from lung cancer sure gave me some pictures to mentally view every time I lit up. :facepalm: I can only wish they'd come out a lot sooner, and maybe he'd still be around.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
And don't forget the emotional disorders that benefit from those alkaloids in tobacco smoke. After my last go-round with clinical depression, I figured the suicidal tendencies were a much bigger threat to my well-being than my smoking, which is why when I first discovered e-cigs, I was thinking about reducing smoking, not having to go outside in the cold, more than I thought about quitting -- I didn't think I *COULD* quit and wasn't stressing over it too much. Though seeing my dad's death from lung cancer sure gave me some pictures to mentally view every time I lit up. :facepalm: I can only wish they'd come out a lot sooner, and maybe he'd still be around.

Andria

Same here..... (click to expand to see the bold) :- )

Reactions: nicnik

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
When I was a teenager, I probably would have started vaping instead of smoking if it had been an option.

I'm 62 years old. When I was a teenager there wasn't such a huge public addiction to money coming from tobacco sales. Had vaping been an option, there would likely have been great public support for its THR capabilities. Had I still started smoking back then, I would've have replaced it with vaping as soon as I had wanted to quit, which I clearly wanted to do, and started to try by my early twenties. And I maybe would be still be vaping today, maybe not, but I'm awfully sure not smoking.

If I were a teenager today, I very well might not have started smoking or vaping, but if one or the other, more likely vaping, given the current atmosphere, including that it seems likely vaping is now considered cooler than smoking. And in the unlikely event that I would start smoking, I'd start wanting to quit pretty soon and probably turn to vaping.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
But the anti-THR movement is the most blatantly corrupt agenda I can recall ever looking into. Not only is there blatant lies and deliberate manipulation, but it just defies logic.

Lots of bad logic in promotion of lots of agendas, but the anti-THR bad logic is just so incredibly obvious. Plus, the entire corrupt movement is built on it.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Those numbers don't make a lot of sense; if 70% don't develop addiction, then why do only half quit before they're 30? I would be willing to wager that anyone who persists in smoking past their teens is probably addicted, as much as they might wish it were otherwise. I'll grant you that most who experiment with smoking, nowadays, probably don't persist past their teens, but many do develop addiction while still in their teens -- I was a 2 pk a day smoker before I was 18. The stuff that BT adds to the tobacco seems to be for the express purpose of making sure that anyone who tries more than a couple will probably become addicted -- that's BT's bread and butter.

Andria
it works the roughly the same for any addictive substance.
most by there thirties have quit for various reasons.
family,jobs, to save money or they simply out grow it.
similar to drinking patterns. in high school and collage party,party.
then get a job.get married.have children.
most people that use any addictive substance are recreational
or social users.its something they do with friends just as much
as any pleasure they get from it.as one gets older along with
the responsibilities that come with adulthood priorities change.
the old gang drifts apart. roughly 25% of a group using a particular
substance do not even have a reaction to it. to a certain extent.
i think we all know someone who doesn't do some particular thing
because it doesn't do anything for them. a lot of these type people
still partake at social occasions for lack of a better term,to be
sociable. you know the guy? you see him at all the parties. he will
sit and have a beer with you.tell jokes,have fun but,you have never
seen him even remotely intoxicated? there could be a very good
biological reason for this. by the way if you know of such a person
i recommend you follow his lead when he suggests something because
he's probably the most sober person at the party.
then there are people like you and me smoked for decades, 2 packs
may be more at the end. we represented a small percentage of the smoking
population.i suppose because our dependency was more acute.
we needed more smoke to get to where we wanted (or needed)
to be. this is a classical sign of addiction.
i know people my age who smoke maybe a pack a week.
if they buy a second pack a week they think they are smoking to
much (and their probably right) or their old pack got stale.
i admire those guys. always wondered how they did it.
then there are some at 3,4,5 packs a day.they represent
a fraction of a percent of smokers. they are the poster children
of tobacco similar to the before stuff and after stuff billboard
photo's and the people that live under the bridge by the tracks.
fortunately tobacco doesn't have the short term affects to ones
lifestyle as some other stuff. just like alcohol most smokers
are more of the social user type or ritualistic as they have a
certain number a smokes a day,only at certain times.
that wasn't me.
for this and other reasons is why some others and myself see
all this ANTZ propaganda as near insanity.its not based on reality.
first with smoking. now with vaping. this sudden (within the last 2 to 3 years)
fear mongering campaign against nicotine is hysterical. people that
should know better are falling for it,hook,line and sinker.
farmers until recent times handled concentrated nicotine in large
quantities for use as an insecticide. i have heard many reports
of farmers falling into manure pits and being overcome. not
one death by nicotine insecticide. for all of you cringing and
saying see,nicotine is a poison,here are some other common
house hold items that will do the trick.
Homemade Organic Insecticides | eHow
for you and me its quite hard to see the forest thru the trees sometimes
as it relates to our own personal histories. i believe if one can see the
bigger picture of things as they are it helps to understand where we
stand and how reality is sometimes photo shopped to distort the
perceptions of society.
as always be cool.
:2c:
mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
roughly 25% of a group using a particular
substance do not even have a reaction to it. to a certain extent.
i think we all know someone who doesn't do some particular thing
because it doesn't do anything for them.
I used quite a bit of a certain white powder back in the day.

But it never really did much for me and I didn't understand the hype.
I never craved it at any point in time no matter how much I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread