How do you clean your coils when rewicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2015
Corning, NY, USA
I mostly vape NETs these days, so my coils (Claptons more often than not) get pretty gunky at times. For the past couple of months, I've been heating my coils red hot on my mod and then, still powered up, dunk them in a small stream of water from the faucet. They come out nearly oxide free, don't seem to gunk up as quickly, and seem to be lasting a good long time.

I think I saw this in an old RipTrippers video, but not sure. Anyway, what do you do to clean your coils?

Reactions: Alawot

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I mostly vape NETs these days, so my coils (Claptons more often than not) get pretty gunky at times. For the past couple of months, I've been heating my coils red hot on my mod and then, still powered up, dunk them in a small stream of water from the faucet. They come out nearly oxide free, don't seem to gunk up as quickly, and seem to be lasting a good long time.

I think I saw this in an old RipTrippers video, but not sure. Anyway, what do you do to clean your coils?

Mine get pretty gunky, using ejuice made with inawera shisha strawberry (organic!). I just do a regular dryburn; I don't keep it powered as I hold it in a rushing stream of water, but I let go of the button right before I put it in the water; it works very well. Sometimes there is hard black gunk on the legs, and when I do the dry burn, you can see the hot leg as the heat runs down to the gunk; I use one of those ever-ready blue screwdrivers to scrape the gunk off after that initial dry burn, rinse, and dry burn again, several times, with several rinses. The last burn is a very brief one, just to dry it before I wick it.

Andria

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
i agree with the replys.

i cleaned a friends atty with coils in an ultrasonic cleaner, they were so bad that it didnt take off all the poo so had to do the heat and water trick coupled with a light brushing with a small wire brush, he had the same coils and rayon in for about 3-4 months lol he is soo lazy he even had bits of cement and wood lying in the bottom of the 26650 atty.

If you can i'd say just make some new coils for what its worth & you cant beat that taste from an all new setup :)

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Basically the same except I have an old ejuice bottle full of water that I use instead of the faucet.

I run the atty under water then shake it out. Pull the KGD, dry burn, then drop a couple of drops of water on the still hot coil then dry burn it again to sizzle the water off.

Clean as a whistle!

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I just yank the wick out, crank my Sigelei Mini up to the full 30w, pulse that thing a few times, most of the gunk from my coils falls right off. Im a little lazy about cleaning em, do it maybe once a month so theyre pretty blackened up by the time I do it.. I read that max wattage tip on here somewhere and it works every time for me, no water needed at all. I have an old toothbrush in my coil supply box too so anything left over comes off pretty easily with that too. Just wait for the coil to cool down a bit, the smell of burning bristles isnt too great if you start brushing it right after hehe.

Oh I should mention this is with my drippers.. Cant do 30w with my Kayfun 4s or it pops the coil right off. Ill do those around 18w, just takes a little more time with the toothbrush..

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I just yank the wick out, crank my Sigelei Mini up to the full 30w, pulse that thing a few times, most of the gunk from my coils falls right off. Im a little lazy about cleaning em, do it maybe once a month so theyre pretty blackened up by the time I do it.. I read that max wattage tip on here somewhere and it works every time for me, no water needed at all. I have an old toothbrush in my coil supply box too so anything left over comes off pretty easily with that too. Just wait for the coil to cool down a bit, the smell of burning bristles isnt too great if you start brushing it right after hehe.

Oh I should mention this is with my drippers.. Cant do 30w with my Kayfun 4s or it pops the coil right off. Ill do those around 18w, just takes a little more time with the toothbrush..

ROFL... I turn mine DOWN, to about 9w, before dry-burning. Just so I don't melt them or pop them off. :D

Andria

Reactions: mauricem00

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
ROFL... I turn mine DOWN, to about 9w, before dry-burning. Just so I don't melt them or pop them off. :D

Andria

Yeah I can ONLY do that with my drippers.. Last time I cleaned one of my Kayfun 4s I did it and the coil didnt even last 2 seconds before it snapped. And stupid me, wrapped a new coil, put it on, and forgot to turn it back down when I did the whole 'pulse and squeeze' thing. Brand new coil got killed instantly. Then I remembered Svoemesto said dont go higher than 20w with those heh. Now I know why! Probably can if you have the subohm kit on it with the PEEK insulator but a 'stock' KF4 definitely cant take that much wattage.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yeah I can ONLY do that with my drippers.. Last time I cleaned one of my Kayfun 4s I did it and the coil didnt even last 2 seconds before it snapped. And stupid me, wrapped a new coil, put it on, and forgot to turn it back down when I did the whole 'pulse and squeeze' thing. Brand new coil got killed instantly. Then I remembered Svoemesto said dont go higher than 20w with those heh. Now I know why! Probably can if you have the subohm kit on it with the PEEK insulator but a 'stock' KF4 definitely cant take that much wattage.

I just always operate on the economic principle of least needed to get the job done -- money, wattage, medicine, food, work, etc. :D You know that whole 'waste not, want not' thing, because it's a literal visceral pain to me to run out of anything necessary, knowing that if I had been just a bit more thrifty, I wouldn't have run out. Poverty has molded my character. :D

Andria

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I rinse an atomizer under running water and gently pull out the wick so as not to deform the coil. I dry everything with paper towels and then dry burn for a few seconds at a time until all of the water on the coil has vaporized and I no longer hear a sizzle.

This. Precisely this.

Redbellie

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2014
Cottonwood, AZ
i just make a new one...I like to experiment anyway. BUT if I am going to keep a coil, I simply lightly pulse until the gunk comes off or I can tap it off with a blunt needle.

Hahaha..I was about to think I was the only one who does not clean...I always start with a fresh coil...way too much fun building to just clean!! :banana:

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
I pulse dry burn the coil and then dip in water, repeating same a few times as needed.
This blows off any and all the crust leaving an almost new looking coil.
This practice only anneals the wire a little and is NOT a recipe for coil snapping unless you're cooking the hell out of the coil with too much wattage or prolonged heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread