Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Bronze, Managed to hit reply before finishing the post. Apparently the various smiley's won't post when editing a post after the fact from an iPad..epic post fail fo me tonight I guess
Good luck. Post back when you get her up and going. I like it because it will not leak and it has a large capacity. Oh, you can fill it up to just under the airflow inlet under the coil. That means your deck will be under the juice level. No problem.

Reactions: thetrucker

VRein

May 6, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. The achilles does seem to have real world vapers in mind. I've been researching rda's. There are a lot of them and virtually none are focused on a single coil build, except the Achilles. The only supplier I can find is the one you linked. Do you know of any others? I prefer to order several things and he doesn't have anything else I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm getting along okay with the Tugboat with a 1.2 ohm coil. The bad throat hit was solved by positioning the air supply close to the coil. It doesn't leak in my pocket during motorcycle rides. So far the flavor is equal to but not superior to my tanks. I'll finally figure out how much e liquid I consume. 20 drops = 1ml

I want to be comfortable with drippers, mechanical mods etc. in case the government starts a vape war. Here in Michigan the Republican governor wants to tax ecigs but it appears the legislature does not. The Michigan Senate voted 34-0 in favor of a bill that only limits sales to kids. If the Michigan house votes similarly they may be able to override a veto by the governor. States that are friendly to the ecig industry might get some of the businesses and jobs. It's stupid for States to snub their noses at a global busness with $800 billion worth of opportunity.

And don't forget the very simple and cheap IGO-L. Myvaporstore has them for 9.95 I believe, or tastyvapor has a 20% off sale today for memorial day (use code memorial20). Taste wise and ease of build it rates right up there with the Achilles. The downside is the airflow is not adjustable but it is tight so should be good for a mouth to lung hitter, (as am I). It won't hold nearly as much juice as the Achilles, but the airhole is in the side so if one fills it too much it could potentially leak. A plus over the Achilles is the top pops off vs screwing and it's easier to drip into the center not having the worry of going into the air tube. It has a small chamber and I keep reading lots of good personal reviews about it. I mean it's a simple two post design and not easy to get super excited about but if you just want a single coil performer on the cheap, it's definitely worth a try.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I prefer the screw on top of the Achilles over the press fit tops on my other drippers. I can never see inside of them so I take the tops off anyway and the press ons I have to realign the airhole and then it cranks the connector pin into my mod and just kind of a pain. Don't have that problem unscrewing the top cap from the Achilles. But to each their own.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I prefer the screw on top of the Achilles over the press fit tops on my other drippers. I can never see inside of them so I take the tops off anyway and the press ons I have to realign the airhole and then it cranks the connector pin into my mod and just kind of a pain. Don't have that problem unscrewing the top cap from the Achilles. But to each their own.

I think that's why I prefer the magma over the veritas and derringer; I manage to have a difference of opinion with those o-ring caps everytime I go to put them back on, but I have an o-ring under the AFC ring on the magma, so I can screw the cap on or off without disturbing the AFC at all.

Andria

TinySpark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2014
Pacific Northwest
! yes ! love single coils. problem is I can't seem to find any rda's that are dedicated to single coil use. Every shop I go to... it is hard to find rda's that are NOT quad much less dual at the local stores. Any suggestions for a good single coil rda for my vicious ant phenom?

;b I got laughed out of one vape store for asking for an rda that would be good for single coils. meh.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
! yes ! love single coils. problem is I can't seem to find any rda's that are dedicated to single coil use. Every shop I go to... it is hard to find rda's that are NOT quad much less dual at the local stores. Any suggestions for a good single coil rda for my vicious ant phenom?

;b I got laughed out of one vape store for asking for an rda that would be good for single coils. meh.
Read the previous couple of pages before your post.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Hmmm.. looks like I need to get one of those Achilles. I love the flavor from my Magma, but I get so tired of mopping it up.

Andria

If you have to "mop" it up, you are probably over filling it. I ended up putting an o ring on my Magma. I fill it as high as possible, but not above the air tubes. If you overfill there, it goes straight out the air holes, which is a pain. I love the taste of the dripper, without dripping per say. Thus the REO or bottom fed vaporizer with a bottom fed atomizer, is the way to go, for me.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
If you have to "mop" it up, you are probably over filling it. I ended up putting an o ring on my Magma. I fill it as high as possible, but not above the air tubes. If you overfill there, it goes straight out the air holes, which is a pain. I love the taste of the dripper, without dripping per say. Thus the REO or bottom fed vaporizer with a bottom fed atomizer, is the way to go, for me.

Yeah, I've got the o-ring under the AFC ring, and it's great, being able to take the cap off and on without messing up my AFC setting. and I suspect that overfilling was the problem, because when I tried it later with hardly anything in the well, it wasn't so bad. But it still leaked a little, and I think that was from the condensate running down the topcap onto the deck and getting into the airflow holes that way.

You know how the Kayfun has that raised ring around the airhole? I think that's what the Magma really needs, some way of raising those airholes above the level of the deck. I saw someone had posted pics of their mod of that, using little tubes in the airholes to put their level above the deck, but I am not that mechanically inclined, nor have the proper tools for anything like that.

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
May be most vapers are old farts who need to quit smoking but most of the sales volume is to a younger crowd who buy every new thing that comes out to keep up with the vaping arms race. We are ignored becauses we don't spend enough.

BTW, my 1.2-1.8 ohm single coils running at 15 watts gunk up so much after two days they need to be cleaned or replaced and rewicked. I vape an ITC coffee flavor called Mach 10. Is there anything I can do to get more than two days from my builds? It appears I vape about 6 ml per day but that number will get more refined now that I can literally count the drops.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
May be most vapers are old farts who need to quit smoking but most of the sales volume is to a younger crowd who buy every new thing that comes out to keep up with the vaping arms race. We are ignored becauses we don't spend enough.

BTW, my 1.2-1.8 ohm single coils running at 15 watts gunk up so much after two days they need to be cleaned or replaced and rewicked. I vape an ITC coffee flavor called Mach 10. Is there anything I can do to get more than two days from my builds? It appears I vape about 6 ml per day but that number will get more refined now that I can literally count the drops.

The juice is what causes gunking -- if that one does, then it always will, no matter what you use it in. the only "cure" is to use a different ejuice. I have one that gunks like that for the same reason, "smocha", it's got a lot of coffee, chocolate, and a little sweetener in it; when I re-wick it, the entire wick is BLACK -- but if you hold it under running water, it rinses completely away. Just gunk.

Andria

VRein

May 6, 2015
Yep, I have the same gunking issue using a tobacco flavor juice. I'm just in the habbit of throwing in a new coil and wick every day or two. I guess I could just rewick, but it seems to gunk up even faster with the old coil and since they are so cheap, I just throw in a new one. Yep, maybe I will finally start looking for a different juice - I usually like the mints and other stuff for awhile, but tire of them quickly..

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I pulled the trigger on the Achilles. Latest email says it shipped so 4-10 days may be. I walked into my local vape shop for the first time in several months and found the same sales clerk vaping on an authentic Tugboat with dual coils at 80 watts while I was vaping a tugboat v2 clone with a single coil at 15 watts. He thought I had the right dripper for what I do. The focus of the shop is multiple coils and high watts. The customers I saw were in their 20s and 30s.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I pulled the trigger on the Achilles. Latest email says it shipped so 4-10 days may be. I walked into my local vape shop for the first time in several months and found the same sales clerk vaping on an authentic Tugboat with dual coils at 80 watts while I was vaping a tugboat v2 clone with a single coil at 15 watts. He thought I had the right dripper for what I do. The focus of the shop is multiple coils and high watts. The customers I saw were in their 20s and 30s.
Kids! :facepalm:

VRein

May 6, 2015
I have to say I am really enjoying my Achilles, so much so that I just ordered several more so I'll have 4 of them to rotate through, (I work 12 hour days so don't have much time during the work week for coil building). I use 26 ga Kanthal around a 2.4mm post. 8 and 1/2 wraps puts me right at 1 ohm. 15 watts or so and I'm really satisfied. I go back to my IGO-L occasionally too, but with more and more experience I'm liking the Achilles better for sure. It's from my very limited experience the ideal single coil RDA.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Single 30/26 Clapton on a Mutation X v4. I love that I can close off all the air holes I want on this in any combination. I am currently just using the lower air holes for this build.

o1OENA9l.jpg

Reactions: PapawBrett

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have to say I am really enjoying my Achilles, so much so that I just ordered several more so I'll have 4 of them to rotate through, (I work 12 hour days so don't have much time during the work week for coil building). I use 26 ga Kanthal around a 2.4mm post. 8 and 1/2 wraps puts me right at 1 ohm. 15 watts or so and I'm really satisfied. I go back to my IGO-L occasionally too, but with more and more experience I'm liking the Achilles better for sure. It's from my very limited experience the ideal single coil RDA.
Well I just got an achilles a few hours ago and have vaped it on a regulated mod, 2.5 mm dia. 1.5 ohm, cotten wick, 8-16 watts. So a few observations. Titanium is very hard material so be careful threading on to any mod to avoid damaging the threads of the mod. I might like it better in stainless for that reason. No doubt the trendy part of the market lost interest because the air is not adustable and you can't build 8 coils. The air flow is fine for my vaping. My experisnce is limited. I've only had a dripper for a week and a half (tugboat) but I'm hooked on drippers for a few reasons. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to discover their virtues.

The achilles seems to be more capapble at low watts than the tugboat which is nice when I want to be stingy with power. It also appears that it will be more resistant to leaking (but the tugboat doesn't really have a leak issue so far. More and more I like smaller componants. The tugboat wins in that catagory (I've got a derringer clone on the way).

I'm a single coil vaper because I lost interest in lung inhales and the only place I might blow clouds is outdoors. My housemates wouldn't put up with clouds at home and I'm not pushing my luck at work where I can vape on the shop floor.

In conclusion I'll say the achilles is not so superior to the tugboat but it is different. I plan to enjoy them both.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
This old thread still easing along ? :thumb:

I've had an Achilles for several weeks now. I use mine to test DIY concoctions. I am quite pleased with the Achilles for that function. The raised build deck is easy to work with, the deep juice well holds plenty of e-liquid, and the flavor is outstanding.
About the only complaint would be the airflow. It really isn't much of an adjustment at all. The KFL+ type AFC screw does not do a whole lot, other than make it tighter.
Still, I am quite satisfied. A very good RDA for single coil lower voltage vapers.

Reactions: Bronze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread