Status
Not open for further replies.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I'm understand your concern with the public / consumer but ultimately Yihi is the ones answering calls and emails and resolving the problems that are reported to them. They've posted fixes for numerous problems people may encounter doing the upgrade although perhaps not in the manner you would like. They are the ones in the end that have to answer to the consumer not you or me. The two trivial bugs that have been sent to me are an inconvenient nuisance nothing more. Don't blow it out of proportion, your beginning to appear to have a hidden agenda.
http://www.yihisxmini.com/download/Q-and-A-of-upgrade-for-YiHi SXmini-M-Class.pdf
In addition there are a few things that I would like to mention...

A few of us here from ECF and elsewhere have been in contact with Yihi about this newly released firmware and its newly introduced bugs. I myself have contacted them late yesterday afternoon via email and this morning they responded back very cordially stating that they are aware of the Eco bug and said "We will solve this bug soon!" Yihi may not be as big a company and as well financed or seasoned as say Aspire, Kangertech, or Joytech, but I believe that they are a very responsible company and will make things good ASAP. I know for a fact that they did have their engineers working throughout our night to come up with a fix and they want to introduce it as much as we feel we want it.

This morning Perry from VariTube contacted me, I didn't contact him, to ask about the bug. I purchased my SXM through VariTube but he didn't know that. I have purchased all my vaping gear, ejuice, etc. and have never received even dime from any vendor or manufacturer for anything. He asked me if I would try out new firmware that fixes the Eco bug and I said I would. I have been using it all day and as far as I can tell it has been fixed and no new bugs have been introduced. I would suspect that it will be released soon but I am sure they don't want a repeat so they will be sure to have it tested in the field. You can call that Beta Testing if you like.

As being a software developer myself for many years developing many very complex projects, I know how easy it is to introduce a bug despite testing over and over again. This Eco bug version has been out for a few weeks but for some reason, nobody found the bug and reported it. I know that may sound weird but that apparently has been the case. It is just amazing how the users of software will find and use it in a completely different fashion than the developer or testers will ever anticipate.

I know how scary it could have been for someone who just upgraded their firmware on their mod must have felt to be perhaps on the road, with their vaping device and now are in fear of holding a brick in their hands and are in a crisis mode wanting and needing a vape. As for myself, I never go far without having 2, or usually 3 devices with charged batteries, tanks, and extra ejuice with me. I know I want to vape and will never go back to the stinkies so those are the precautions I take. The Eco bug was unfortunate, but there are many things in life that are unfortunate and happen to us. We just need to deal with them and move on. Personally even after experiencing the bug I continued to vape on my SXM. I learned about it and was able to deal with it and take little offense to it. Sh|t happens and it did to Yihi yesterday. But lets face it, it wasn't really that bad but a minor annoyance once we learned about it and that is what we do here on ECF. I just love my SXM and appreciate the pleasure of using it every day since I received it on April 4th. I had it on pre-order from VariTube since February 15th and wanted to be sure I would be one of the first to get my hands on one as soon as possible.

Bugs will happen and I suspect we will see more over the next few months and years using such experimental software such as TC. I am appreciative of innovation and being a technology nut for many years I find myself always to be on the bleeding edge of technology, sometimes getting burned badly, and sometimes enjoying some great stuff ahead of everyone else. But that is just me, and I am willing to take some risks in order to experience some fruitful advances in technology. I hope Yihi learns from this one, but also hope this doesn't inhibit them to be on the forefront of some great technology we all need or want for the not too distant future.

Braddahbill

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Hawaii
This looks interesting, a new Kanger STM RBA Plus - no juice channels - big ... holes in the chimney and a screw to hold it together. :shock:. I wonder how the wicking is going to turn out. The new vertical coil OCC looks interesting too, if and when a nickel version comes out I may just have to try it on my SX M Class.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I think i may of just stumbled upon something of interest in the upgrade ..... yes the Eco function has a flaw and NEEDS to be fixed (check battery issue when pulling battery).

....but i also think I've found something useful with it - Its like each memory bank is separate from the others 'Mx' bank while in eco mode.
i.e. 'M3' is programmed to 35J ....but when in Eco mode I can make 'M3' slot 33J (or anythinf i want) .....and when I switch back to another mode other than eco mode it goes back to the 35j setting, then back to 33J in eco mode automarically.

I can see the benefit of this (sort of) especially with the 5 second LED cut off time.
Yep, I found and posted that yesterday. Nice feature addition.

Reactions: Vlad1

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I must have missed/skipped that information earlier.

Also when locking in a new atty resistance it seems like there is no wait like there was before, just something I noticed.
Yep, that was a welcome fix.

Reactions: Vlad1

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
littlewierdo..... when they say you might have a hidden agenda they are in attack mode......just avoid and state your opinion... funny how these bugs have gone from a major problem to a major nuisance to just a couple of trivial bugs....as stated by in the quoted posts.... bottom line is Yihi put out a bad update...own it guys....get it fixed and move on...I too asked Yihi to take down the update for the community's sake... all you can do is ask... Yihi will do what Yihi wants to do....

I got in touch with evolv and asked them to recall all their dna40's until they can provide a 100% fixed update for you

There is no sitting at home & updating at your own leisure

so advised them it would best if they meet the same standards as Yihi but in another way by sending a courier to collect all the boards they sold and then send them back when they can actually get it right

I don't own a dna40 but from all the 1000's of bugs/glitches I have seen posted, thought it be best that I do this for you ;)

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Back on track

After my initial heart stopping moments trying to update & thinking that either all my batteries died or my mod was toast

Have stopped using Eco mode whilst our friends get round to releasing a patch

Been through nearly 3x tank fulls in my STM's & luving every minute of it

This update has the temp control dialled in perfectly now .... it just works && works && works so well :thumb:

Really want to try a dna40 too but without all the evolv bugs so have ordered a couple of tried && tested clones :pervy:

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
I got in touch with evolv and asked them to recall all their dna40's until they can provide a 100% fixed update for you

so advised them it would best if they meet the same standards as Yihi but in another way by sending a courier to collect all the boards they sold and then send them back when they can actually get it right

I don't own a dna40 but from all the 1000's of bugs/glitches I have seen posted, thought it be best that I do this for you ;)
Thanks for watching out for your fellow vaper:party:

WideO

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Belgium
www.wide-o.net
Also whoever posted it before is right the eco mode does seem to work. I was only getting about 18500J on a battery and I'm at almost 20000J now and still have some battery left.

That was me. I noticed because at first I thought "why the hell would anyone want a Joules counter" and then went "wait a minute... this could be great to monitor battery health, and even for judging new batteries to see if they are fake or not etc." So I religiously noted how long the batteries lasted, and both VTC's lasted to 20500 and 20600 respectively, each and every time.

With the second battery I'm now at 20800, and it still has 30% in the battery bar. So either they changed the counting ;) or there is an increase of about 15% in Eco mode.

Edit: battery 2 lasted 25400J And yes, the battery change bug caught me out again, heh.

Last edited:

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I mentioned yesterday that I noticed a weaker hit when my (old AW 2000mah) battery was below 3.6V
Now I notice when they're barely under 3.7V (new & old AW's)

Is this a "feature" of the hardware or is this something that could be remedied through software?
Or is it sag and the R25's that I have OTW will cure it?
Or something else?
Thanks

EDIT - Joules counter was at ~14000 at 3.70V on a new AW 2200mah FWIW

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I mentioned yesterday that I noticed a weaker hit when my (old AW 2000mah) battery was below 3.6V
Now I notice when they're barely under 3.7V (new & old AW's)

Is this a "feature" of the hardware or is this something that could be remedied through software?
Or is it sag and the R25's that I have OTW will cure it?
Or something else?
Thanks

EDIT - Joules counter was at ~14000 at 3.70V on a new AW 2200mah FWIW
Dunno if it helps but my vapour production only seems to decrease when my 25r's are below a quarter on the battery bar

Reactions: Mowgli

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
Anyone here tried the Arctic tank?
How many watts & how was the flavor with the included coils?
VS Subtank mini OCC?

The only problem with the Arctic is that once you try it, you will never want to use the TC mode again!
By far the best flavor you will get out of any tank / juice.
I prefer the 0.5ohm coils but some will the 0.2...especially at higher wattages.

Or... be creative like I was and build your own custom Ni200 coils for it.

My best vape yet....
30J, 450Degrees, 0.08 coil, Horizon Arctic Tank.

20150505_010851.jpg

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA

Troll

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
In addition there are a few things that I would like to mention...

A few of us here from ECF and elsewhere have been in contact with Yihi about this newly released firmware and its newly introduced bugs. I myself have contacted them late yesterday afternoon via email and this morning they responded back very cordially stating that they are aware of the Eco bug and said "We will solve this bug soon!" Yihi may not be as big a company and as well financed or seasoned as say Aspire, Kangertech, or Joytech, but I believe that they are a very responsible company and will make things good ASAP. I know for a fact that they did have their engineers working throughout our night to come up with a fix and they want to introduce it as much as we feel we want it.

This morning Perry from VariTube contacted me, I didn't contact him, to ask about the bug. I purchased my SXM through VariTube but he didn't know that. I have purchased all my vaping gear, ejuice, etc. and have never received even dime from any vendor or manufacturer for anything. He asked me if I would try out new firmware that fixes the Eco bug and I said I would. I have been using it all day and as far as I can tell it has been fixed and no new bugs have been introduced. I would suspect that it will be released soon but I am sure they don't want a repeat so they will be sure to have it tested in the field. You can call that Beta Testing if you like.

As being a software developer myself for many years developing many very complex projects, I know how easy it is to introduce a bug despite testing over and over again. This Eco bug version has been out for a few weeks but for some reason, nobody found the bug and reported it. I know that may sound weird but that apparently has been the case. It is just amazing how the users of software will find and use it in a completely different fashion than the developer or testers will ever anticipate.

I know how scary it could have been for someone who just upgraded their firmware on their mod must have felt to be perhaps on the road, with their vaping device and now are in fear of holding a brick in their hands and are in a crisis mode wanting and needing a vape. As for myself, I never go far without having 2, or usually 3 devices with charged batteries, tanks, and extra ejuice with me. I know I want to vape and will never go back to the stinkies so those are the precautions I take. The Eco bug was unfortunate, but there are many things in life that are unfortunate and happen to us. We just need to deal with them and move on. Personally even after experiencing the bug I continued to vape on my SXM. I learned about it and was able to deal with it and take little offense to it. Sh|t happens and it did to Yihi yesterday. But lets face it, it wasn't really that bad but a minor annoyance once we learned about it and that is what we do here on ECF. I just love my SXM and appreciate the pleasure of using it every day since I received it on April 4th. I had it on pre-order from VariTube since February 15th and wanted to be sure I would be one of the first to get my hands on one as soon as possible.

Bugs will happen and I suspect we will see more over the next few months and years using such experimental software such as TC. I am appreciative of innovation and being a technology nut for many years I find myself always to be on the bleeding edge of technology, sometimes getting burned badly, and sometimes enjoying some great stuff ahead of everyone else. But that is just me, and I am willing to take some risks in order to experience some fruitful advances in technology. I hope Yihi learns from this one, but also hope this doesn't inhibit them to be on the forefront of some great technology we all need or want for the not too distant future.

I generally agree, its not the fact that they introduced a bug, its the response I have a problem with (ie., there was no response, no reaction, they didnt pull the firmware down, nothing).

As to having a second and third device, that will soon be remedied as soon as Yihi gets more SX Minis out to buy, I simply cant vape on anything else except a Provari. Ill buy a second sx mini sometime in the near future (I have a Provari v1 and Provari V3 that I need to ship in and have them both upgraded, just havent had the time, and generally speaking, Im annoyed with Provape at the moment).

As I have stated before, I will NOT buy a DNA device, F*** Evolv, they've burned too many as first adopters on too many of their chips plus their inability to put safety first along with their terrible response / excuse with the DNA20, I dont want to risk using their product.

Reactions: JimScotty0

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
I generally agree, its not the fact that they introduced a bug, its the response I have a problem with (ie., there was no response, no reaction, they didnt pull the firmware down, nothing).

Welcome to the world of software updates. This type of action has been going on as far back as I can recall. Some folks prefer to use the latest update with its features/bugs over older updates with their features/bugs - or newer updates with their features/bugs. I LIKE having access to all software updates instead of only the most recent.

As to having a second and third device, that will soon be remedied as soon as Yihi gets more SX Minis out to buy, I simply cant vape on anything else except a Provari.

Varitube has had 3 colors available for several days now. I ordered on Friday and got mine yesterday (holiday weekend).

I must say, the menu does take a little getting used to, but I'm liking the mod so far. And I have, so far, chosen not to run the update. Choices. I like choices.

Disclaimer: I'm still waiting on nickel wire and a new ErlK before I can try temp mode.

Reactions: JimScotty0

beez0527

SQUONKAHOLIC
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2014
Etna,OH
I have a 5ml Arctic Tank and .5 coils on the way.
The guy that I bought the SXM from has been cranking his at 60W and says basically the same thing.
I personally like the herakles even more than the artic in my opinion best flavor sub tank their is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread