Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Yes of course. What Randy is demonstrating is that when it comes to something that in the worst case scenario may catch fire, how far is too far? Most people are happy with using a good quality charger, and not leaving a charging battery unattended. What a steel box represents is peace of mind.

Irrespective of my usage profile, I will dump batteries after a year just to be on the safe side. batteries are easier to replace than houses or loved ones.

Reactions: Mden89

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Doesn't the charger stop charging once it's done?

It does, some people just go further than others to ensure that, if something were to go down, they'd be prepared.

My batteries sit on the charger at full charge for decently extended periods of times (sometimes a few days). Assuming you're using a half-decent smart charger it should be looking at things like the battery voltage to ensure it's not overcharging the batteries. I'm pretty sure mine even detects battery temperatures and will attempt to "repair" a cell if it detects that it's damaged.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Yes of course. What Randy is demonstrating is that when it comes to something that in the worst case scenario may catch fire, how far is too far? Most people are happy with using a good quality charger, and not leaving a charging battery unattended. What a steel box represents is peace of mind.

Irrespective of my usage profile, I will dump batteries after a year just to be on the safe side. Batteries are easier to replace than houses or loved ones.
Very, very true

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
All of the VV/VW mods I've owned (5-6 different ones) will not fire once the battery voltage reaches ~3.2v. So when my mod will no longer fire I replace the battery and recharge. The exception is if I plan to be out and about I'll install a fully charged battery before I leave home.
I Do Not charge a battery If no one is home or while I sleep. if I'm gonna burn down the house I want to be there to at least watch.

Reactions: Mden89

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
What is a good charger?

I use the Efest Luc V4.

All of the VV/VW mods I've owned (5-6 different ones) will not fire once the battery voltage reaches ~3.2v. So when my mod will no longer fire I replace the battery and recharge. The exception is if I plan to be out and about I'll install a fully charged battery before I leave home.
I Do Not charge a battery If no one is home or while I sleep. if I'm gonna burn down the house I want to be there to at least watch.

For the record (and not saying it can't possibly happen), your battery is much more likely to do something crazy while in your mod, rather than in your charger. I don't think I've heard of a single case of someone's good-quality charger bursting into flames. Not saying it's impossible. Knock on wood. Additionally, 3.2V is pretty low, I would recommend trying to charge them as high as you can. Unlike things like laptop batteries, your 18650's will appreciate being charged back to full from a minor discharge as oppose to near-danger zone (or so I'm told -- most battery experts recommend charging around 3.5V-3.7V if you can). How much difference does it realistically make in the battery life? I don't know. You're careful about not charging your batteries when you're out of the house, I'm careful about not letting my batteries discharge past ~3.6V. I guess we both have our safety paranoia's.

Although, some of them cheaper chargers just don't have full charge cutoff and reverse polarity protection at all.. WTF?!

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
What is a good charger?
I use a XTAR VP2. It can charge two batteries at a time. There is also a four battery model called the VP4. You can set the charger to charge your batteries either at 0.25 amps, 0.5 amps, or 1 amp. The charger will automatically stop charging the batteries once it reaches 4.2 volts. if you have a battery that has been overdischarged, it can attempt to repair/recover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread