Subox RBA burnt hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
Put the wick in, prime it with some juice and press the button to check out if there is any hotpots. You should put your cotton sit in both juice holes but not to tight (just let the cotton fall into the holes by itself). After that, you attach the base to the tank, turn it tight by hand then loose the tank a little bit. You should see the air bubbles come out through the juice holes.
If your juice is too thick then you should thin it with some water or PG or alcohol.
Let the tank rest for a while before use.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I do the pancake method and leave the juice holes completely unblocked. Saturate the cotton before putting it together, once all together and filled up I cover the airholes and do dry pulls to pull juice in. I don't have the subox but I Have the subtank mini. Also what watts are you at and how often are you vaping? If you're chain vaping it that can be part of the cause. If your watts are too high it might not be able to keep up either.

HaileysDad

Jun 22, 2015
The RBA in Subox kit have a large juice holes on the wall of the chimney so we do not need to care too much about the wick but do not let too much cotton sit in the juice holes. I think your coil have a hot spot somewhere.
I took in everyone's advice and my wick seems to be fine. It even vapes fine at a low temp like 25w but once I go any higher I get a few good juicy plumes then the next one will burn so bad my ears hurt. Maybe it just can't go that high but I feel like it should be able to, also what's a hotspot?

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
As others have already stated, it may very well be a problem of "going to the well once too often." See if it's any better letting it sit for a minute in between every couple puffs, or however many you can get before it starts going dry. Also make sure you're taking primer puffs, drawing air through the tank without firing. I really haven't heard of too many problems with the new Subtank RDAs... not that this means you can't have an issue of course! It just sounds like they've been working pretty well for people. I haven't been able to get my hands on one quite yet so I think that's about the extent of the advice I have.

edit: Also make sure your coil isn't too gunky or burned. After the dry hits you've been getting if things are scorched in there, it's not going to make it any better.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
I took in everyone's advice and my wick seems to be fine. It even vapes fine at a low temp like 25w but once I go any higher I get a few good juicy plumes then the next one will burn so bad my ears hurt. Maybe it just can't go that high but I feel like it should be able to, also what's a hotspot?

When you heated the coil, it should glow at the same colour, as the same time. If there is a turn of coil glow faster or brighter than the others than you have a hotspot (it sometimes happens at the end of the coil legs). I think you should dilute your juice a little bit, put some more cotton so the wick sits tight in the coil and check out if there is any hotpots with you coil.

Bitter Jeweler

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio

I love this method and use it for the new Subtank Mini RBA deck with the holes, as well as the original without the holes. For the holes, you just need enough to "block" the hole. You can even pull a little through the hole. The idea of combing it out, straightens the fibers and gets rid of many of the cross fibers, which aren't "directing" juice to the wick. It also means capillary action is going from few channels to more channels. I've found it an exceptional technique and worth the time it takes to do. Another benefit with its efficient wicking, is when you change juice flavors, the flavor change happens faster, and more completely. Because it's efficient, and minimal, you don't have a lot of old juice being held, and slowly released, from ineffective wicking areas that are just "holding" juice.

As far as turning up the heat, I go by taste rather than Watts, and often find the best flavor of many juices is well below what the coil could handle. I've also found that there may be a discrepancy between the Subox Mini readings and other devices. I have found the same tank, same coil, same flavor put on my Sigelei, I am using 5 to 8 more watts of power for the same effective flavor than the Subox. The Ohm readings are the same, however.

Reactions: HaileysDad

Bitter Jeweler

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
I just re-wicked the new RBA, so here's a couple pics...
(I am not an expert, this is what works for me, and what I am enjoying)

The second pic shows (kinda) how at the hole, I have all fiber ends, and no "bent" fiber. The ends are thirsty!

Photo-Jul-01-11-11-53-PM_zpsnrkl9vvb.jpg

thailand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

The second pic shows (kinda) how at the hole, I have all fiber ends, and no "bent" fiber. The ends are thirsty!

I really like that. I'm gonna try that on my best build, seems like it would "direct" the juice better. Thanks for the pics!

crazywesc

Aug 5, 2012
mobile, al.
I have found that building on this tank has been way easier and problem free than any other tank I have owned. I use rayon for the wick and I just cut the ends of the wick even with the top of the chimney then stuff the ends down into the chimney, it's never leaked or dry hit. The performance in my opinion is not as good as other dual coil rta's on the market, but with its ease of use its gets a A+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Pitts

Jul 12, 2015

Just purchased the Subox mini starter kit 2 days ago. Burnt the first coil, not by running tank empty,but tilting tank so that juice level fell below holes(way too high on these). Put the second coil in this morning, primed well,started at low watts(15), worked my way up to 30, tasted burnt every hit. Tried primer hits in between, so much so that a drop came out of airflow holes. Soooo, that led me to your post in this forum. Frustrated, I broke out the RBA in the box and followed your video to the tee. AMAZING!!!!! The increased airflow,vape,taste,etc is so much better than the .5 coils that come with it, I am amazed. By far the best how-to on the internet, and I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together and post it.
Question- How long should you get out of the wick before needing to rebuild again? I know that is a relative question, but from your experience on average usage, and not running it dry, what do you think?
Again, thanks a lot!

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK

I'm liking the look of your wicking method. I'm going to try this myself. It looks very efficent. Thankyou for sharing it with us :)

Bitter Jeweler

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
For the record, I am not .... Kicker, and that is his video. I just shared it, because it worked for me.

I didn't enjoy my experience with the stock OCC coils. It's seems quite a few people are a little frustrated with them. I burnt up the new vertical .5 coil that came with the tank, so I never found happiness there, and hadn't found the new coils available. The "old" horizontal coils weren't working well for me either. So I did what I thought I would never do, built my own on the RBA deck after I came across BK's video, and never looked back. :)

I was shown another method that worked, but just not quite as well, which was to just thread your wick right through the cover hole, through the wick, and back out the cover hole, and snip the ends off. It works, and is drop dead simple, but I thick the other method really works better. I do occasionally use this fast method when I'm in a hurry. :)

@Sam Pitts, I really can't answer that with a time frame. What happens to me is that my coils gets gunked up, and I have to rewick because I am cleaning the coil. I have not had to rewick because the wick was failing.

Reactions: Sam Pitts

HaileysDad

Jun 22, 2015

So I've been trying over and over again, and I kept what you said about no bent fibers in mind but my latest "its perfect it must work this time" coil gave a good 4 hits before scorching my throat (35w). I noticed in your picture that the cotton seems pretty straight, a horizontal line right through where as my wire seems unusually high up so the cotton is a big arch, is this normal? A friend also got the subox and his RBA doesn't even fit on the deck so perhaps I got a defect? Sorry first RBA.

Reearn

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2015
So I've been trying over and over again, and I kept what you said about no bent fibers in mind but my latest "its perfect it must work this time" coil gave a good 4 hits before scorching my throat (35w). I noticed in your picture that the cotton seems pretty straight, a horizontal line right through where as my wire seems unusually high up so the cotton is a big arch, is this normal? A friend also got the subox and his RBA doesn't even fit on the deck so perhaps I got a defect? Sorry first RBA.

I used to have that problem with the exact same set up as yours. The first coil that came stock IMO, was nonsense. Kept getting burnt hits and it was frustrating. I made a new coil and put it in and voila. No more burnt hits but this is just my experience with it. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread