[CLOSED] GLASSMANOAK’s THE VAPE TREE - Discounts, Promotions, Updates, and Home Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
from the other side

7/28 #1

Didn't you just finish paying off the mortgage?

Yep, sure did. Not going to sell it. Wife and sons will stay.
Working in civil service has lots of messed up things about it - especially for those of us overseas. We have to get extended in our position every two years and by DoD rules aren't supposed to stay for more than five unless the command show justification. Stateside positions don't have that. The Marine Corps has pretty much kept folks as long as they wanted - mainly because it saves money and is more productive. The other services and DoD have complained and stuff so now they're starting to enforce the five year thing. The civilian work force for the Marines on Okinawa is going have about a 70% or higher turnover/loss rate over the next year or so.

In late Oct they'll start looking for a Stateside position for my level and qualifications. When they find one I'll have 45 days til having to be there. Until that happens I have no idea of when or where. Supposed to spend two years in the States before going overseas again - but that can get shortened. After a year I'll be looking for position to come back here. Wife and son stay here and I'll go alone while trying to get by cheap. Plan to use vacation to come back here once or twice a year.

Lot of people here are taking early retirements or leaving civil service to find other jobs so they can stay. I'm not eligible for retirement yet and have too many years to toss out the window.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
from the other side

Working in civil service has lots of messed up things about it - especially for those of us overseas. We have to get extended in our position every two years and by DoD rules aren't supposed to stay for more than five unless the command show justification. Stateside positions don't have that. The Marine Corps has pretty much kept folks as long as they wanted - mainly because it saves money and is more productive. The other services and DoD have complained and stuff so now they're starting to enforce the five year thing. The civilian work force for the Marines on Okinawa is going have about a 70% or higher turnover/loss rate over the next year or so.

In late Oct they'll start looking for a Stateside position for my level and qualifications. When they find one I'll have 45 days til having to be there. Until that happens I have no idea of when or where. Supposed to spend two years in the States before going overseas again - but that can get shortened. After a year I'll be looking for position to come back here. Wife and son stay here and I'll go alone while trying to get by cheap. Plan to use vacation to come back here once or twice a year.

Lot of people here are taking early retirements or leaving civil service to find other jobs so they can stay. I'm not eligible for retirement yet and have too many years to toss out the window.
That both makes sense and stinks at the same time. sense in that it keeps people from going too "native" but stinks for those making a life away from home. I hope you get assigned somewhere nice.

jpf880

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2011
oHIo
from the other side

Prayers and Good Vibes for the best for you and your family Mac.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Thanks folks. It's always been a possibility that we've known about and dealt with the stress of it every 2 years. They started tightening the screws about a year and a half ago but they slammed the door shut in the last couple months.
There's a couple things that are maybe happening that most likely won't do anything to help me stay and if it does it would probably only be for another year or two then I'd be in the same situation.
As it stands right now I could be moving as soon as Dec or might still be here in a year - lot of uncertainties with this.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Mac - Yikes, I can see why you've been stressed. That is a tough situation. Like the rest of us, I am wishing the best for you and your family! :nun:

Other than staying with your family of course, is there a place you'd prefer to live out of the given options?

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
Mac - Yikes, I can see why you've been stressed. That is a tough situation. Like the rest of us, I am wishing the best for you and your family! :nun:

Other than staying with your family of course, is there a place you'd prefer to live out of the given options?

Someplace that stays warm and no snow.
I haven't spent very long any place at place other than Michigan while growing up. a couple years in eastern NC 2 different times and a couple years in northern VA.
Not sure if I would like dealing with some of the stuff in CA.

Reactions: angelphyre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread