• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Fasttech Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
which is likely to give out soonest, built in batteries or the electronics? ...or is it pretty equal and all a matter of chance?
depends on a few factors, quality of the mod would affect the electronics, remembering to keep the batteries topped up to at least halfway or they could die, if the built in battery is easy to get to, it may be possible to replace it, but for most of them once the battery dies that's the end of the mod, unless you can find someone with the know how to fix it.

EDIT: ingress of juice can also affect the electronics, I've had a couple fail with that problem, atty leaks, the juice gets in through the seams and destroys the chip

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Good find that Trish, and a good price too :) I`ve put one in my wishlist. As for which will give out soonest is anybody`s guess, and i suppose it just boils down to how much use they get !
Yes, think I'll put one in my wish list too ..probably a black one, even if the green one is a bit different.

Also thought that looked good for the price. The original evic vt is meant to be pretty solid except the TC isn't quite perfect.
I think the electronics vs batteries longevity really depends on the quality of the components. It is anyone's guess how long a mod should last. Good quality makes like innokin should outlast batteries I think but cheaper stuff it is anyone's guess.
Good batteries should last at least a year of reasonable use I think, I have a vtc5 that is over a year old and still seems to hold its charge fine, whereas the lghe2 that came with my rdna 40 drains noticeably quicker now after 9 months or so. Both have been used a lot.
Don't mind replaceable batteries giving out, but fixed one are another matter. TC isn't my no.1 priority either, so not hugely important.
I'll probably get one of those Joyetech ones :)

depends on a few factors, quality of the mod would affect the electronics, remembering to keep the batteries topped up to at least halfway or they could die, if the built in battery is easy to get to, it may be possible to replace it, but for most of them once the battery dies that's the end of the mod, unless you can find someone with the know how to fix it.

EDIT: ingress of juice can also affect the electronics, I've had a couple fail with that problem, atty leaks, the juice gets in through the seams and destroys the chip
So the replaceable/removable batteries are the way to go ...and I'll take good care not to get the thing sticky/wet! :2cool:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I learned something today that I hadn't known! - Macular degeneration is more likely, or worsened by smoking! Optician said it's doubly good that I gave up smoking, because the macular part of my eyes are perfect, and by stopping smoking I've made it unlikely that I'll get that problem!
I had one of those tests that uses a scanner on the back of the eye and the results are visible on a screen.
He showed me each area of my eyes and explained what everything indicates - cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure, adrenal function/thyroid, etc. etc. I got a full clean bill of health!!! :)

However, my prescription has changed noticeably ...I did suspect that had happened in this past year, but it seems the reason I'm not concentrating for long on my work is that my eyes are too tired to work and keep trying to close to stop me trying to use them! This is due to my distance prescription being greatly changed and in need of me wearing distance specs most of the time as I'm taxing my eyes by making them work hard in every day situations other than reading etc. He thinks this is what is causing the ADD effect on my close work time.

It all seemed a bit too simple after the awful struggle I've been having to get any work done.

So, skip forward an hour and I phoned the new doctors surgery - receptionist said yes, the test results have been reviewed and all is 100% fine!
Could hardly believe it: iron, B12, Thyroid, liver function ....everything! I don't even need to see the doctor, but when I mentioned it correlating what my eye test had just indicated, she asked why and when I explained, said she'd had exactly the same problem with her eyes becoming so overstrained for distance, that they couldn't function on close work even when wearing specs, and kept trying to shut so that they couldn't be used!

Still seems a bit too simple to me, but whatever, I'll get some new distance specs and see what happens! :)

In the meanwhile, my new close work specs are being made, and if I can eliminate some of the stress inducing sources, I may yet regain my ability to work!

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
I just saw this: $38.50 Authentic Joyetech eVic VTC Mini 60W TC VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1-60W / 200-600'F(100-315'C) / 1*18650 / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping ...the black on is rather nice too. Seems to be around the same size as a CoolFire

I've been thinking the ones that use a separate battery will be best for stuff I'm putting away for 'rainy days' - but do wonder about the electronics of these things too ...which is likely to give out soonest, built in batteries or the electronics? ...or is it pretty equal and all a matter of chance?
The original evic-vt was a disaster. I replaced one then ultimately asked for my money back on the second one.

I gather they have remedied the worst parts but I'd probably pat a bit more to buy from.sonewhere with easier returns just in case.

That said the Tc istick probably runs the refined evil software, At least in part, and it works fine.

Just a heads up. I know others here had more positive experiences. Early on it was BAD though

Great news and im nit surprised at skl a bad lredcription could cause a serious kack of focus They find that in children regularly
-*Plese excuz any iPone-tyos

Last edited:
Reactions: Pictor

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
The original evic-vt was a disaster. I replaced one then ultimately asked for my money back on the second one.

I gather they have remedied the worst parts but I'd probably pat a bit more to buy from.sonewhere with easier returns just in case.

That said the Tc istick probably runs the refined evil software, At least in part, and it works fine.

Just a heads up. I know others here had more positive experiences. Early on it was BAD though
Always interesting to hear other views - I'm more interested in the neat size and replaceable battery than the TC aspect of it, but the quality of the build & electronics matters too, and that's why I like to ask everyone here :)

Reactions: e-pipeman

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I just saw this: $38.50 Authentic Joyetech eVic VTC Mini 60W TC VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 1-60W / 200-600'F(100-315'C) / 1*18650 / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping ...the black on is rather nice too. Seems to be around the same size as a CoolFire

I've been thinking the ones that use a separate battery will be best for stuff I'm putting away for 'rainy days' - but do wonder about the electronics of these things too ...which is likely to give out soonest, built in batteries or the electronics? ...or is it pretty equal and all a matter of chance?

I think it's all a bit of a lottery. Those who think that mech mods are safe often use them with a kick (which makes them safer). Having had a certain amount of involvement in the development of a mech mod (just user testing) then I think that mechs are nowhere near as safe as regulated mods. They are not as easy to repair as many think, and they are not the answer to "the vapocalypse".

The answer is Public Heath England. We need not be as concerned as we are - but of course we are not complacent. Areas outside England have already found that there can be "difficulties" - and who pays for the World Health Organisation (who have silly ideas in this regard)?

I think we should be told - but I am confident that we won't all have to vape "cig-a-likes" in the future.

Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)

Reactions: Marcus1970

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England

Ingress of juice was the problem with most early devices, Bob. Plus ca change...

Reactions: Bobw1951

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
To answer the reliability question posted. In my experience neither typically go out too fast and usually the electronics first. Hiwever its electronics that imolement battery beirher charging or reading from.

We are in in era of disposable mods. I mean $30 for a temp control istick. If it lasts six months thats fine by me. However i do worry about my $230 dna 200 mod which has a 1 year warranty and isn't technically user repairable . That said its a box with wires and lipo cells and a chip that can be replaced.

Honestly for $60 devices or less i wouldn't consider longevity.

If that did concern me i certainly wouldn't buy joytech / eleaf / ismoka who have a hirribke history with breakdowns and a ridiculously bad warranty service if it does fail in the vey shirt time they offer.

For longevity why not look at some more reliable brands?

Sorry for the earlier iPhone replacement of Evic with evil. Unintentional

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I learned something today that I hadn't known! - Macular degeneration is more likely, or worsened by smoking! Optician said it's doubly good that I gave up smoking, because the macular part of my eyes are perfect, and by stopping smoking I've made it unlikely that I'll get that problem!
I had one of those tests that uses a scanner on the back of the eye and the results are visible on a screen.
He showed me each area of my eyes and explained what everything indicates - cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure, adrenal function/thyroid, etc. etc. I got a full clean bill of health!!! :)

However, my prescription has changed noticeably ...I did suspect that had happened in this past year, but it seems the reason I'm not concentrating for long on my work is that my eyes are too tired to work and keep trying to close to stop me trying to use them! This is due to my distance prescription being greatly changed and in need of me wearing distance specs most of the time as I'm taxing my eyes by making them work hard in every day situations other than reading etc. He thinks this is what is causing the ADD effect on my close work time.

It all seemed a bit too simple after the awful struggle I've been having to get any work done.

So, skip forward an hour and I phoned the new doctors surgery - receptionist said yes, the test results have been reviewed and all is 100% fine!
Could hardly believe it: iron, B12, Thyroid, liver function ....everything! I don't even need to see the doctor, but when I mentioned it correlating what my eye test had just indicated, she asked why and when I explained, said she'd had exactly the same problem with her eyes becoming so overstrained for distance, that they couldn't function on close work even when wearing specs, and kept trying to shut so that they couldn't be used!

Still seems a bit too simple to me, but whatever, I'll get some new distance specs and see what happens! :)

In the meanwhile, my new close work specs are being made, and if I can eliminate some of the stress inducing sources, I may yet regain my ability to work!

It all sounds like very good news. My personal belief is that, having only one pair of eyes, an eye test and new specs/lenses is something you do before anything else every couple of years. If an eye goes it's not a "never mind - I've got another one" thing. :)

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
To answer the reliability question posted. In my experience neither typically go out too fast and usually the electronics first. Hiwever its electronics that imolement battery beirher charging or reading from.

We are in in era of disposable mods. I mean $30 for a temp control istick. If it lasts six months thats fine by me. However i do worry about my $230 dna 200 mod which has a 1 year warranty and isn't technically user repairable . That said its a box with wires and lipo cells and a chip that can be replaced.

If that did concern me i certainly wouldn't buy joytech / eleaf / ismoka who have a hirribke history with breakdowns and a ridiculously bad warranty service if it does fail in the vey shirt time they offer.

Joyetech were very important in the development of the stuff we have now imho.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Joyetech were very important in the development of the stuff we have now imho.
That may be. Its a shame they blew their legacy by rushing to market and failing to standby the shoddy products. Look at the istick 50. Literally blowing up and they just shrugged and wouldn't replace units.

The first cartonizer i had ten years ago was joytech so i do agree they drove some innovation. Now however their focus on fast and disposable cycles has led them to be a cheap brand who is known for not valuing their customers. Shame.

Instill bought an istick tc knowing this. After having two egrip units fail at 1.5 and 4 months. Which they wouldn't replace

I dont trust their batteries or elecronkcs bur for $30 and small mod with temp control i decided to chance it assuming it wouldn't last more than six months max.

I happened to submerge the istick in water by accident. Put it in a bag of rice for two days and it fired right up. Maybe they have a handle on production and r/d but he rushed evic vt software would indicate no. I was lucky it didn't die

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I think it's all a bit of a lottery. Those who think that mech mods are safe often use them with a kick (which makes them safer). Having had a certain amount of involvement in the development of a mech mod (just user testing) then I think that mechs are nowhere near as safe as regulated mods. They are not as easy to repair as many think, and they are not the answer to "the vapocalypse".
I've never been tempted to get a mechanical one - I like simple to use things.

The answer is Public Heath England. We need not be as concerned as we are - but of course we are not complacent. Areas outside England have already found that there can be "difficulties" - and who pays for the World Health Organisation (who have silly ideas in this regard)?

I think we should be told - but I am confident that we won't all have to vape "cig-a-likes" in the future.

Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)
I had wondered myself in the past exactly what/who the World H.O are, and at whose behest do they operate.
That recent report from Public Health England was very encouraging - the question still is though, how much sway do the BT & BP's have with our government, and in what form will the manipulation manifest.
Like you, I think we should be told what to expect. I find the lack of information rather unfair, and only serves to set people 'chattering'.
Looking at a company such as Vype, I see the cig-size with cartridges, the 'pen' with the clip in liquid refills, and the small basic tank, batteries & bottles of refill liquid, so it would appear that there could be some sort of choice if they are representative of the kind of items we'll be given get foisted upon us.

I like the optimistic approach, and do hope you're right.
I do have plenty of equipment and nicotine stored, so hopefully all will be OK ;)

It's not so much the price as wanting something reasonably reliable. I don't think anything is perfect, so brands I've been happy with are usually acceptable for me.

I don't particularly want to spend a lot on individual items to 'store', and to be honest, the iSticks have been very good so far. Not had a failure, and I have all types in use from 10W through to 100W. I like the Sigelei mini and also have no complaints with the Coolfires so far (but they do have fixed batteries). The Cloupor mini does seem OK too. Haven't used the Kanger Subox ones much yet.

Sorry for the earlier iPhone replacement of Evic with evil. Unintentional
That's OK, some typos are funny! :laugh:

It all sounds like very good news. My personal belief is that, having only one pair of eyes, an eye test and new specs/lenses is something you do before anything else every couple of years. If an eye goes it's not a "never mind - I've got another one" thing. :)
Eyes are massively precious and so important - I'd certainly be useless without both or either of mine! Seeing I've been aware of my close work specs not doing the job as well over the past year, I'll be getting a sight test each year now as the new prescription is apparently significantly changed and will take a while for me to get used to.
I admit, I was very relieved to hear not only the opticians findings regarding the apparent state of my general health, but to then phone the doctors surgery and get the test results.
I don't feel any better yet of course, but know where to start at least.
So far, I'm impressed with our new doctors practice - total opposite of what we've had the past 7 years. In 5 days we've been registered, I've seen a doctor, then seen the phlebotomist for tests, and now had the results of those tests ...that's very good.

I actually feel exhausted tonight so will get off to bed fairly soon.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
That may be. Its a shame they blew their legacy by rushing to market and failing to standby the shoddy products. Look at the istick 50. Literally blowing up and they just shrugged and wouldn't replace units.

The first cartonizer i had ten years ago was joytech so i do agree they drove some innovation. Now however their focus on fast and disposable cycles has led them to be a cheap brand who is known for not valuing their customers. Shame.

Instill bought an istick tc knowing this. After having two egrip units fail at 1.5 and 4 months. Which they wouldn't replace

I dont trust their batteries or elecronkcs bur for $30 and small mod with temp control i decided to chance it assuming it wouldn't last more than six months max.

I happened to submerge the istick in water by accident. Put it in a bag of rice for two days and it fired right up. Maybe they have a handle on production and r/d but he rushed evic vt software would indicate no. I was lucky it didn't die

OK. Joyetech brought things like the ego battery to the market. Revolutionary. Do you remember that? Well, the iStick 50w by Eleaf that you mention is, imho, one of the best mods ever. Remember that what you need to do with this one is turn the battery off when you charge it and turn it on again once you have screwed your topper on. Do it that way and it works like a champ. Leave it live when you screw on/off and you WILL get random firing. That's just an end user perspective, but I think it's great when used properly. I'm using it now and I still have both of my hands - what more can I say? :)

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I've never been tempted to get a mechanical one - I like simple to use things.

I had wondered myself in the past exactly what/who the World H.O are, and at whose behest do they operate.
That recent report from Public Health England was very encouraging - the question still is though, how much sway do the BT & BP's have with our government, and in what form will the manipulation manifest.
Like you, I think we should be told what to expect. I find the lack of information rather unfair, and only serves to set people 'chattering'.
Looking at a company such as Vype, I see the cig-size with cartridges, the 'pen' with the clip in liquid refills, and the small basic tank, batteries & bottles of refill liquid, so it would appear that there could be some sort of choice if they are representative of the kind of items we'll be given get foisted upon us.

I like the optimistic approach, and do hope you're right.
I do have plenty of equipment and nicotine stored, so hopefully all will be OK ;)

It's not so much the price as wanting something reasonably reliable. I don't think anything is perfect, so brands I've been happy with are usually acceptable for me.

I don't particularly want to spend a lot on individual items to 'store', and to be honest, the iSticks have been very good so far. Not had a failure, and I have all types in use from 10W through to 100W. I like the Sigelei mini and also have no complaints with the Coolfires so far (but they do have fixed batteries). The Cloupor mini does seem OK too. Haven't used the Kanger Subox ones much yet.

That's OK, some typos are funny! :laugh:

Eyes are massively precious and so important - I'd certainly be useless without both or either of mine! Seeing I've been aware of my close work specs not doing the job as well over the past year, I'll be getting a sight test each year now as the new prescription is apparently significantly changed and will take a while for me to get used to.
I admit, I was very relieved to hear not only the opticians findings regarding the apparent state of my general health, but to then phone the doctors surgery and get the test results.
I don't feel any better yet of course, but know where to start at least.
So far, I'm impressed with our new doctors practice - total opposite of what we've had the past 7 years. In 5 days we've been registered, I've seen a doctor, then seen the phlebotomist for tests, and now had the results of those tests ...that's very good.

I actually feel exhausted tonight so will get off to bed fairly soon.

I feel just as exhausted - but do try the vit b with c in the morning. It will help imho!

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I feel just as exhausted - but do try the vit b with c in the morning. It will help imho!
OK - I have two B12's: Hydroxocobalamin and Methylcobalamin, both 5000 mcg. I have Vitamin C in 500mg slow release.

The optician also mentioned antioxidants as also being beneficial for eye health. I've taken Resveratrol 40mg every evening for some years now as I use some heavy metals and other slightly hazardous ingredients in my work materials. I do know the B12 will help eliminate any residue of those too.

Reactions: e-pipeman

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
OK - I have two B12's: Hydroxocobalamin and Methylcobalamin, both 5000 mcg. I have Vitamin C in 500mg slow release.

The optician also mentioned antioxidants as also being beneficial for eye health. I've taken Resveratrol 40mg every evening for some years now as I use some heavy metals and other slightly hazardous ingredients in my work materials. I do know the B12 will help eliminate any residue of those too.

If you get vitamin B complex - a well-known high-street vitamin emporium do something called "Busy B with C" - then it works as a "lifter". B- vits don't work well in isolation and work best with the other B's imho. The "C" works with it as an elevator. Just my tuppence :)

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
What is public health england saying? Im behind on tracking news there as it doesnt really affect me. The rules in holland are ridiculous. Things like no tanks over 2 ml and nothing ourchased over 10. As ive mentioned before I'm not a fan of the government making rules when most are horn in ignorance.

There are some inexpensive mods out there. Especially if you have batteries already.

You could consider making yoir own then its perpetually upgradeable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread