rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Hi All,

I made my 1st DIY batches yesterday! So far, so good. :thumb:

One thing; I'm using 99.7% undiluted VG, with no PGA, but it's still not as thick as some of my pre-made juices. I'm mixing 10mls at a time right now. So, 8 or 9 mls of the vg with 1 or 2 mls of flavorings.

Is it not thick because I didn't use 100% vg?

Thanks in advance!

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
No, 99.7% is the very max you can get, so it's not because of that. Firstly, there are small differences in viscosities between different vg's and also if it's hot in the room it will be even thinner. Second, you're using 10-20% flavoring, so maybe the thicker premade stuff are using more concentrated flavoring with lesser percentages...

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
It's been warm, but the thicker vendor juices, I was referring to, are still thicker. I bought the vg off Amazon. I'm not using pg. The flavorings are TFA.

My creations are fine, but want them to be thicker. I guess I have to take the plunge and order from the essential depot. Since I was just giving it a try, I didn't want to buy 2 gallons for free shipping. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
It's been warm, but the thicker vendor juices, I was referring to, are still thicker. I bought the vg off Amazon. I'm not using pg. The flavorings are TFA.

My creations are fine, but want them to be thicker. I guess I have to take the plunge and order from the essential depot. Since I was just giving it a try, I didn't want to buy 2 gallons for free shipping. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

If you do start to get gallons.. wide mouth canning jars are really nice to keep smaller quantities out to work from.

Reactions: rangerrobin

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Reactions: puffon
I don't know if this information is of much use, but you can get 99.5% anhydrous pure natural vegetable based glycerin at Walmart for $3.88. This is in a 6 fluid ounce plastic bottle. I have some very thin Space Jam Pluto that I plan to thicken up just a wee bit using this VG. The flavor of this Pluto is just fine, but I bought a 30 ml bottle that was 18 ml/mg nicotine strength, plus being a bit too thin for me. Thank you for reading :D

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
hate to say it, but if your making a 10ML batch, with 1-2mls flavoring, your probably closer to the 80/20 or 90/10 VG/PG. Not 99.7 that you are thinking.
Yeah, I can see that, but that's what the e juice calculator indicated to use. I'll try less flavorings.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
99.7% is the vg glycerol amount anhydrous, and if you have set 10-20% flavors in your calc, then you've done nothing wrong, so don't need to change it for that, but just for your individual taste... Don't worry too much about the viscosity, though, except if it's to thick for your device, in which case you need to use some water or pg to thin it...

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Most flavoring comes dissolved in PG which will thin your juice. Some flavorings also contain alcohol which will thin it even more. If you like it thick there are a few vendors that sell flavoring that is dissolved in VG with no PG. Nude Nicotine for example. That will make juice as thick as it can be.

I doubt there is much difference in viscosity between different brands of VG. I could be wrong about that though since I've only used 2 brands.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I live in Tx, VG from two different vendors sitting at room temperature is very thick. I no longer try to suck up vg with 10 ml syringe, but pour into syringe.

I warm it up by sitting the bottle in hot water. It's still too thick for syringes. I tried it without a needle and it was quicker, but really messy. Now I just use graduated cylinders. Not quite as accurate but good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread