Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

lol....cool! I hope you didn't misinterpret my post. I've had a bunch if ProVaris....I know exactly what they can do. My point was the cereal ISLE crowd are all using....umm.....non-provaris. It might've been a bit of an inside joke.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
lol....cool! I hope you didn't misinterpret my post. I've had a bunch if ProVaris....I know exactly what they can do. My point was the cereal ISLE crowd are all using....umm.....non-provaris. It might've been a bit of an inside joke.
Thanks from a user of Vamo and istick.

EDIT: I should concede buying Provari looks not really wise to me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm the author of Why Provari?, so you know what side of the fence I'm on. ;)

I'm a proud owner of four Provari's. A 2.5 mini (which my daughter is currently using), two 2.5 standards, and a P3. Why four? Two were gifts, two I purchased myself. The first is over three years old and still works like new. I often state that buying my first Provari was the best investment in over 3 years of vaping. Some people like a product so much they buy more than one -- that's me. Different colors, different sizes, etc. I only NEEDED one, considering their reliability.

Take for instance my sister. She finally decided to stop smoking a couple of months ago and use vaping to quit. We made a road trip together to visit a vape shop. I offered one of my Provari's to her, at least until she knew enough about vaping to make a better decision to know what to buy for herself. She held it at the vape shop, but compared to an eGo and iStick 30 watt, it was "too big and heavy". I had to agree comparatively speaking, but as an experienced vaper there are often other things to consider besides size and weight.

She ended up buying an iStick 30 watt. Within a week, the circuit board failed. As she couldn't make the 3 hour round trip to get it exchanged at the vape shop, she purchased another iStick 30 online while she used my old MVP in the meantime. A couple of days after getting the second iStick 30, she dropped it from the coffee table and it broke. Now she had two broken mods within two weeks time.

I couldn't help thinking to myself that had she used my Provari she wouldn't have had to worry about two broken mods. But then again maybe she learned a more important lesson.

Last edited:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I had an iStick 50. For about a week. When it worked, it worked very well. Then it just stopped working completely.

On the other hand, I know several people who absolutely swear by their iSticks. But I'll bet that within a couple of years, almost all of them will end up in the trash, and I'll probably still have both of my Provaris, still tootling along.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
But I'll bet that within a couple of years, almost all of them will end up in the trash, and I'll probably still have both of my Provaris, still tootling along.
That's would be a great bet for you. Considering that mods that use internal non-replaceable batteries probably have an expected lifetime of two years (just because of the battery life).

It just seems like a wiser decision (to me) to buy a durable mod which uses replaceable external batteries, like a Provari. Instead of becoming a paperweight, you can continue to use the Provari by just buying NEW BATTERIES for $5 - $10, and be good for another two years. Cheaper than buying a whole new mod.

Last edited:

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
I'm still happy with my isticks - the original (20w) was a year old on 4 October (and is still going strong) and the 30w which I got in February is fine too. Having said that, I couldn't pass up on the chance of a P3 at half price in a closing down sale - it arrived today and so far, I like it, in fact I like it a lot :D

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
That's would be a great bet for you. Considering that mods that use internal non-replaceable batteries probably have an expected lifetime of two years (just because of the battery life).

It just seems like a wiser decision to buy a durable mod which uses replaceable external batteries, like a Provari. Instead of becoming a paperweight, you can continue to use the Provari by just buying NEW BATTERIES for $5 - $10, and be good for another two years.
I bought iStick for $24, just $14 more than cost of a replacement battery. So, if it will work for 2 years, I have no problem with throwing away it and buying a new one for just $14 more than cost of battery which I have to buy anyway. But I do not think I will buy another iStick. In two years things will change a lot...
And for how many people Provari became (much more expencive than iStick) paperweight because they changed their vaping requirements?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I'm still happy with my isticks - the original (20w) was a year old on 4 October (and is still going strong) and the 30w which I got in February is fine too. Having said that, I couldn't pass up on the chance of a P3 at half price in a closing down sale - it arrived today and so far, I like it, in fact I like it a lot :D
Now your iSticks will go bad... You are now Provari owner, and for Provari owners all cheaper mods are qutting working pretty fast, as I see from posts.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
And for how many people Provari became (much more expencive than iStick) paperweight because they changed their vaping requirements?

If this is an open question and not a rhetoric one ;) : I think not so many. Fact is that those who did are more talkative and thus visible here.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Now your iSticks will go bad... You are now Provari owner, and for Provari owners all cheaper mods are qutting working pretty fast, as I see from posts.
Not really. I bought an iStick, and it failed quickly. Not going to happen to all iSticks. I just had a bad experience.

For the record, I also own an eVic VT, a Sigelei ZMax, a Tesla Firephoenix, three X-6's, various ego type mods and a Coolfire 1. The only other mod that has had problems is the Coolfire 1.

I can't believe how much stuff I've purchased for this in only four months.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Not entirely true ;) I still have a Lavatube mod that is going on two years old now :) I just don't take that giant thing outside the house ever. :)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm a proud owner of four Provari's. .

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with a provari, so much as technology changes, let me compare it to a subject i know a lot about.

There is nothing wrong with jeans. I own four pair. However, I no longer use them for travelling, long car rides, hiking, camping, walking, etc.

Why? Because the technical fabrics out there today (lightweight, bullet proof, flexible, fast-drying) have pretty much relagated "jeans" and canvas type carhaarts to people who farm, work around horses, fix barbed wire fences, use chain saws, ie. stuff you need heavy canvas like materials for protection.

For the rest of us, if you are outdoors person, I no longer know anyone who uses denim. I can pack some Marmot, Kuhl, or Mountain Hardwear clothes into a suitcase----it is light as a feather, I can camp in it, sleep in it, it still looks wrinkle free, weighs nothing, and you can wash it in the sink and it is dry by morning in your bathroom or hotel room. No dryer necessary, no ironing, and 5 years later the fabric still looks great. You spill coffee on it, or drop your oatmeal on it, you wipe it off w/damp cloth and you're good to go.

And, I think this is what people in general are moving "towards", at least, everyone I know who really *USE* their clothing. You can wear your Kuhl pants to the office, or to the warehouse, then after work go kayaking or hiking and your pants are gonna work for that......and then a quick wash and they'll be ready again for work the next day. :)

In this analogy, Provari is jeans and carhaarts. The newer lightweight DNA type chip smaller mods are the technical clothing. :)

I say dress for your lifestyle, and buy mods that also fit *your* lifestyle. Provari never fit mine, so I never kept any.

Last edited:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I still wear blue jeans on my days off and khakis to work. Denim jeans seem to still sell by the millions.

The Provari Ti models are about as pocket friendly as it gets. Which is a big priority of mine.

But yeah, they won't sub ohm. They're definitely not for the big clouds/hot vapor crowd. They're really good for the utilitarian types.

All of my clients who are police and who vape carry a Provari. I'm actually kind of concerned that they could turn into the next Mag-Lite--something designed for a different purpose that also happens to be handy for crushing skulls. They're lighter than a Mag-Lite, and just as tough.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with a provari, so much as technology changes, let me compare it to a subject i know a lot about.

There is nothing wrong with jeans. I own four pair. However, I no longer use them for travelling, long car rides, hiking, camping, walking, etc.

Why? Because the technical fabrics out there today (lightweight, bullet proof, flexible, fast-drying) have pretty much relagated "jeans" and canvas type carhaarts to people who farm, work around horses, fix barbed wire fences, use chain saws, ie. stuff you need heavy canvas like materials for protection.

For the rest of us, if you are outdoors person, I no longer know anyone who uses denim. I can pack some Marmot, Kuhl, or Mountain Hardwear clothes into a suitcase----it is light as a feather, I can camp in it, sleep in it, it still looks wrinkle free, weighs nothing, and you can wash it in the sink and it is dry by morning in your bathroom or hotel room. No dryer necessary, no ironing, and 5 years later the fabric still looks great. You spill coffee on it, or drop your oatmeal on it, you wipe it off w/damp cloth and you're good to go.

And, I think this is what people in general are moving "towards", at least, everyone I know who really *USE* their clothing. You can wear your Kuhl pants to the office, or to the warehouse, then after work go kayaking or hiking and your pants are gonna work for that......and then a quick wash and they'll be ready again for work the next day. :)

In this analogy, Provari is jeans and carhaarts. The newer lightweight DNA type chip smaller mods are the technical clothing. :)

I say dress for your lifestyle, and buy mods that also fit *your* lifestyle. Provari never fit mine, so I never kept any.
Not at all a good analogy, in fact it makes no sense at all. A better comparison, if you insist on using pants is, mechs are blue jeans and regulated are tech, but that doesn't quite cover all the bases.

What it comes down to is high watt and TC are hobbyist toys and a provari is for everyone one else. You could also say that a provari is for mouth to lung, where 20 watts is plenty, and high watts is for direct lung inhale.

Trying to put ProVape in a low tech category, seeing as they have probably the most sophisticated battery monitoring on the market, have among the most accurate output on the market, is getting a bit silly. What they don't do is chase watts, or the latest fads, as in TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread