Provari vs. Darwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaverSaver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Nebraska
Was going to spring for a new VV. Provari and Darwin are at the top of my list.

I like the Provari's look, durability and the ability to customize (the simple fact that you can remove the battery unlike Darwin..) On the other hand, the Darwin's wattage is adjustable, giving a consistently good vape. I've read many reviews on both and watched several videos on each. But I'm still on the fence!

It seems I am at an impasse and at the mercy of the forum's opinion.

So: Darwin/Provari users, input? Which should I get? Is the Darwin's adjustable wattage worth it? Or should I go with a Provari?

Last edited:

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I was in the same boat as you 5 months ago and I did the same exact thing, I came to the masses for advice. I have actually vaped on both units. I did however decide on the Provari for the following reasons:

1: As you stated, back up batteries I have a total of 5 18650's
2: I can Have anything I want on the Provari and it will be stable and stay put. My Dual Coil MAP Tank would not fold down on the side of the Darwin.
3: Ability to actually hold and visually see first Hand the Provari and Darwin side by side. I am lucky enough to have a Great Brick and Mortar in the Southern California Area to go to and get my Supplies and check out the latest and greatest gear.

Now Granted on the tech specs, the Darwin will probably be a lot more adjustable than the Provari because it adjusts wattage versus Voltage which Wattage makes much finer adjustments to the power output overall. For me though the adjustments on the Provari are quite amazing in their own right, I can find my Sweet spot with any juice and with any combination of atomizer or cartomizer of any resistance or size.

Hope this helps and good luck, you have chosen two Titans of the vaping World.
Nate aka Darth Vapor

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Last edited:

FlaverSaver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Nebraska
Devonmoonshire, thank you very much. And NebulaBrot, thank you as well! Despite my efforts, I couldn't find a thread like the one you posted on ECF (Mostly due to laziness). I have also decided to invest in a Provari! The Darwin seems almost like the corporatization of the Ecig. You have to go back to the company if you need any assistance or repairs; It's all controlled by the producer. Pisses me off! Anyways, thanks again.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Myvote goes to the provari, even after almost a year. Add the Iatty too it an you have the most increadible mod to ever be made... period..

Picture128.jpg

Stainless Steel Variable Voltage mod + Stainless Steel 5ml tank capacity rebuildable atty? The ultimate custom vape.

Only thing better would be a Chrome Provari + Iatty, that will be here friday 8)

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I don't like the fact that you can't swap batteries out in the Darwin yourself. When I first heard that, I thought that "You can't change the batteries" meant "Once that battery won't recharge anymore, your expensive mod is useless". But I learned that you can send it back in and for a fairly small fee ($25, I think it was) the Darwin folks will replace the battery and mail it back to you.

But even knowing that - it means that sooner or later, you'll have an expensive mod that doesn't do anything. You'll have to box it, mail it, and wait. In 4 to 7 days, you'll have it back, presumably good as new - but you do have to wait that 4 to 7 days.

To me, that's a pretty big issue for a PV that expensive. Maybe if I already had several other mods sitting around that I could use while it was being repaired, it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think I would seriously consider it unless I already had another VV mod.

Personally, I'm planning to get a Buzz Pro. I'm looking for functional vaping, not lights and LED's.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Devonmoonshire, thank you very much. And NebulaBrot, thank you as well! Despite my efforts, I couldn't find a thread like the one you posted on ECF (Mostly due to laziness). I have also decided to invest in a Provari! The Darwin seems almost like the corporatization of the Ecig. You have to go back to the company if you need any assistance or repairs; It's all controlled by the producer. Pisses me off! Anyways, thanks again.

You are very very welcome, I know you are going to love it. Either one of them are Super Dynamic PV's and as it was said above it mostly has to do with differences in personal preference.

Keep us posted on how ya like it when it gets there;
Nate aka Darth Vapor

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Myvote goes to the provari, even after almost a year. Add the Iatty too it an you have the most increadible mod to ever be made... period..

Picture128.jpg

Stainless Steel Variable Voltage mod + Stainless Steel 5ml tank capacity rebuildable atty? The ultimate custom vape.

Only thing better would be a Chrome Provari + Iatty, that will be here friday 8)

Oh No!!! You are going to make me go and spend more money aren't you?!?!?! That looks awesome!

Nate aka Darth Vapor

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Stownz is "the Man" to know about most every product designed for vaping, so I don't second guess "my man" but the iatty with the Vari will give you an airy vape unless you mod it accordingly or you don't mind it that way; tons of vapor YES, but i like some resistance in my draw, not a lot; some.
People are modding the iatty in different ways, so if you're like me, research how to mod the air flow on the iatty (the GGTS has a "colletor tank' which among other things, has an air draw control).

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Personally, I'm planning to get a Buzz Pro. I'm looking for functional vaping, not lights and LED's.

The Buzz Pro has lights, rather LED's ;) and it changes colors when active/non-active. Though, the unit, I've heard, is quite reliable and cost efficient for sure.

However, the Provari is more than just lights and LED's :) It has some nifty features including the LED readout (which I personally absolutely love on a VV device), the ability to check your resistance of atty/carto used, and also, the ability to check the battery life left.

I too had this very same issue trying to decide between the two. I think I would have been satisfied with the Darwin, but I absolutely LOVE my ProVari. It's my #1 used pv and goes with me everywhere. If you're a dripper, as myself, I definitely recommend a drip shield. I don't even know if the Darwin's arm can close with a drip shield attached? Though, the Variable Wattage feature is definitely a 1up, in my opinion, over the Provari. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to sway me towards the device.

Good luck on your decision! I hope that you find vaping zen :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread