The Posse that cooks together...Recipe Thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2010
PA, near Philly
Since I'm in here reading, I should post the recipe I worked from yesterday! :) Of course, I never follow one exactly, but I caught the major points (except no onions in mine).

Colcannon Recipe

Ingredients

4 lbs (1.8kg) potatoes, or about 7-8 large potatoes (‘old’ potatoes or russet potatoes are best, waxy potatoes won’t do)
1 head of green cabbage or kale
1 cup ( 7 fl oz, 240 ml) milk (or cream)
1 stick (4oz, 120g) butter, divided into three parts
4-5 scallions (green onions), chopped*
salt and pepper
Fresh Parsley or chives

*Not everyone adds scallions to colcannon, but they do add something, in my opinion.

Method

Peel and put the potatoes in a pot to boil.

While the potatoes are cooking, remove the core from the cabbage, slice the leaves thinly, and put into a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water from the kettle and keep at a slow rolling boil until the cabbage is just wilted and has turned a darker green. This can take anything from 3-5 minutes, depending on the cabbage. Test it and don’t let it overcook - if anything it should be slightly undercooked.

When the cabbage is cooked, drain it well, squeeze to get any excess moisture out, then return to the saucepan. Add one third of the butter and cover. Leave it covered and in a warm place, but not on a burner, with the butter melting gently into it while you continue.

When the potatoes are soft, drain the water and return the potatoes to the saucepan. With the drained potatoes in, set the burner to low, leaving the lid off so that any excess moisture can evaporate. When they are perfectly dry, add the milk to the saucepan, along with a third of the butter and the chopped scallions (if you are using them). Allow the milk to warm but not boil – it is about right when the butter has fully melted and the pot is starting to steam.

With a potato masher or a fork, mash the potatoes thoroughly into the butter/milk mixture. Do NOT pass through a ricer or, worse, beat in a mixer as it will make the potatoes gluey and disgusting.

Mix the cabbage thoroughly through the mashed potato.

Before serving, season with a little salt and sprinkle with fresh parsley or chives. Most importantly, make a well in the centre of the mound of potato and put the last third of the butter in there to melt.

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2010
PA, near Philly
My changes:

I started the corned beef in the pressure cooker, cooked for about 25 minutes. While that was cooking, I sliced 1/2 head of cabbage on a slaw board (Drott might know what that is :)). Brought a large saucepan of water to a boil, added cabbage and cooked for about 8 minutes, and drained. Put it back in the saucepan with 1/3 of the butter and covered.

When the corned beef was done, removed it to a platter. Added 3 really big peeled and cut (about 2" chunks) baking potatoes to the corned beef water in the pressure cooker, brought up to pressure and cooked for about 5 minutes, drained. Put the potatoes back in the empty pressure cooker pan on low until dry, then added about 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 stick of butter until very warm. Mashed the potatoes with the milk and butter, then added the cabbage, and topped with the remaining butter.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Ramen Noodle Frittata
I add onion and green peppers,sausage or ham.

NGREDIENTS:
2 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored
ramen noodles
6 eggs
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS:
1. Place noodles in a saucepan filled with boiling water, reserving the seasoning packet. Cook until tender, and drain. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and seasoning packets from the noodles. Mix in noodles.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the noodle mixture, and cook over medium-low heat until firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Cut into fourths, and turn over to brown the other side for 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top, and serve.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Bacon and Potato Tart

c_Bacon-Potato-Tart_RT

ingredients
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 1/8 inch thick
  • 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons butter, for topping
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
directions
Dust your work surface lightly with flour and unfold the puff pastry. Use a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to a 13-inch square then use your fingers to press the dough onto the bottom and sides of a 10 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fold over any overhanging pastry into the pan to make a thick crust. ..... the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Place in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes until firm.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place a piece of parchment on top of the puff pastry and weigh down with dried beans. Place on a sheet tray and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove tart shell from oven and take off the parchment and beans. Use the back of a spoon to press down the pastry if it has puffed up on the bottom.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, thyme and a big pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth.

Add the potatoes to the tart shell by beginning on the outer edge and arranging in a concentric circle. Make two layers of potatoes and sprinkle half the bacon and half the cheese in between the layers. Season each layer with salt and pepper.

Slowly pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and top with remaining bacon and cheese. Dot with butter.

Bake for 45 minutes, checking on the crust about halfway through baking, and cover with foil if it gets too dark. Bake until golden and potatoes are cooked through.

Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.

Tip: This tart can be served warm or at room temperature so making ahead of a time is no problem.

Get Cooking: http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/bacon-potato-tart-recipe#ixzz3ajEv1cbl

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
bcacov.jpg

What you’ll need:

Apples..about 6 medium!

1 lb. Bacon

1 bag of Kraft Caramels..unwrapped

candy apple sticks

Directions:

Melt the Caramels according to the bag instructions…

Insert a stick into each apple, and gently dip them into the melted caramel, making sure to let the excess drip away…

Place them onto some wax paper for a couple of seconds to cool a bit and slightly set up…

Now, carefully form each slice of freshly made bacon around the caramel apples, pushing it carefully so it sticks. this isn’t the cleanest job, but it’s SO worth it!

Let them set up if you can..or just dig in! ~Enjoy!

Reactions: Johntodd

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
gbhcov.jpg

What you’ll need:

For the Doughnut Holes;

1 lb. crispy and crumbled bacon (with reserved fat drippings)..also reserve one slice to crush up for the bacon sprinkled topping.

1 cup Guinness
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Oil for frying~ I used Canola

For the Bacon Fat Frosting;

1 cup powdered sugar

a few splashes of bacon drippings..(The fat)

Directions:

Crisp up the bacon, and set it aside with the drippings…

*Make the frosting:

Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl. Slowly stir in 3 tablespoons or so of the reserved bacon fat, until smooth. **IF you need to play around with consistency, do NOT add any water…use more bacon fat or it will not blend!*

*Make the doughnut holes:

Add the canola oil (about 2-3?) to a large, heavy-bottomed pot. (There should be at least 2 inches of oil in the pot and at least 2 inches between the top of the oil and the top of the pot.) Heat the oil to 350 degrees!

In a small bowl, whisk together the Guinness, cooled melted butter, egg, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt…

Stir the crumbled bacon into the mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms… it will be sticky, but it will be OK!

Once the oil has reached 350ºF, drop about 1 tablespoon scoops of dough into the oil, with damp hands, you can successfully roll them into nice balls! Be careful not to overcrowd the pan with the doughnut holes!

Fry the doughnut holes, flipping them in the oil, for about 2 minutes or until they’re golden brown…

Using a slotted spoon or fork, transfer the doughnut holes to a cooling rack…

One by one, coat the doughnut holes in the fantastic bacon fat frosting and transfer them to the rack to allow the excess frosting to drip off…

Before they set up, sprinkle them with some of that reserved crumbled piece of bacon..optional!

Let them set up…and then serve them only to people you REALLY like…lol!

And grab one five for YOU! ~Enjoy!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
added by Shelia Senghas

small.4.jpg
If you love Buttermilk Pie and you love chocolate then you will love this pie. The recipe for the Buttermilk Pie alone is wonderful, however, the addition of chocolate to this recipe is…well, there just is not enough adjectives to describe it. You will have to try it yourself, and, watch out. Have you a group of witnesses surrounding you, or, you will eat the WHOLE Pie. After 10 years I have just found my sister Karen's Buttermilk Pie Recipe. I have been wanting to make a Chocolate Buttermilk Pie for a long time and so I messed around with chocolate and finally came up with a good recipe.

Cook time: 45 Min
Ingredients
2 unbaked pie shells (9 in or larger)
2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c all-purpose
1/3 c cocoa powder
6 eggs
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c plus 2 oz. buttermilk
Directions
1. Combine sugar and butter and mix until well blended.
2. Beat in the eggs and mix well. Combine and whisk the flour, cocoa and salt until mixed then add to the butter mixture.
3. Add buttermilk and the vanilla to the mixture and stir until well mixed.
4. Pour into pie shells and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Or, as oven temperatures vary, bake as long as it takes for pie to be firm and not jiggle in the middle. Cool completely before cutting. Store left over pie in the refrigerator.
5. Note: I used an electric mixer though this recipe can easily be mixed by hand. Adapted from Karen’s Buttermilk Pie My older sister Karen always made the Buttermilk Pie for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, and though I’m not sure where she got her recipe, I am sure that it was the best Buttermilk Pie that anyone in our family ever made, yes, even better than mine. My beloved sister passed away in 1999 a few days after Christmas. The following year I decided to make her Buttermilk Pie in honor of her. I contacted family members and began a search for her recipe. To my dismay no one had it. My mother said my sister had written down the recipe for her, however, after searching she could not find it either. Each year I make a buttermilk pie from recipe’s I have found in books and on line and none of them tasted the same. I am happy to say that while looking through old recipes of my mother’s, after 13 years, I found my sister’s handwritten recipe in time to bake it for Thanksgiving and my family got to enjoy a piece of Karen’s Buttermilk Pie as we reminisced about her and holidays past.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House

The Ingredients.
serves 8 (or up to 16 if put over rice)

there are a lot of cans.
recycle.
make the environment happy.

1 pound browned ground turkey or hamburger (optional)
2(15-ounce) cans of kindey beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15-ounce) cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 (15-ounce) cans of corn (WITH juice!!)
1 large can (26-ounces) of diced tomatoes
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes and chiles (Rotel)
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet ranch dressing mix

--shredded cheese and sour cream for embellishment
(optional, unless you're in my house. then it's mandatory.)

The Directions

Use the largest slow cooker you have in the house --- this is a BIG recipe, you need a 6-quart or above.

--brown meat if you are going to use it
--drain fat and add to crockpot stoneware insert (the meat. not the fat.)
--sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat
--drain and rinse the beans and add
--add the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans--stir.

cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

I think the longer you cook soup, the better, so if you have the time, opt for cooking on low.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
upload_2016-1-29_10-2-12.png

Boston Cream Poke Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (plus box ingredients)
  • 2 small boxes (3.4 oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
  • 4 cup Milk
  • 1 container Chocolate Frosting
Instructions
  • Prepare cake in 13x9" pan according to box directions.
  • Allow to cool until just slightly warm.
  • Use spoon handle to poke holes evenly across cake.
  • Combine milk and pudding mix and whisk until well blended.
  • Pour pudding over cake making sure it gets down into holes.
  • Refrigerate cake for several hours to allow pudding to settle and set up.
  • Open frosting container and remove foil seal.
  • Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Repeat this until frosting is pourable.
  • Pour over pudding layer and spread with spatula to cover completely.
  • Refrigerate for at least several more hours.
http://cincyshopper.com/boston-cream-poke-cake/

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Thinking Super bowl

upload_2016-1-31_10-2-33.png

Garlic Cheese Bombs

Ingredients
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
  • 1 can of premade biscuits (10 pieces) (any type will work, I used Country Style)
  • 20 cubes cheddar cheese (1/2" x ¾" x ¾") (approx 4oz total)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Cut each biscuit in half and slightly roll out (don't worry about it being round). Place a cheese cube in the middle and wrap the biscuit dough around the cube ensuring the edges are sealed. Roll in your hands to make a ball shape.
  3. Place butter & garlic in a small bowl and melt in the microwave about 12 seconds. In a separate bowl, combine parsley and parmesan cheese.
  4. Dip each rolled biscuit into the butter mixture and then into the cheese mixture. Place on a parchment lined pan.
  5. Bake 10-12 minutes or just until browned.

Reactions: FlyingV

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
upload_2016-1-31_10-15-34.png

Cinnamon Caramel Apple Pie Rolls

Ingredients
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
  • 1 can Pillsbury Cinnamon Buns with Frosting
  • 1½ cups apple pie filling (I used my homemade Freezer Apple Pie Filling)
  • Caramel sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • Parchment paper
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Roll each individual cinnamon roll out as thin as you can between two pieces of parchment paper.
  3. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of pie filling in the middle of each. Fold each in half as you would a taco. Pinch the edges sealed. Fold under the to tips so you make it into a rounder shape.
  4. Mix cinnamon & sugar together in a small bowl. Roll each bundle in the mixture and place seam side down on a parchment lined pan. Bake 16-18 minutes or until golden.
  5. Drizzle with caramel sauce and frosting.

Reactions: FlyingV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread