Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
'Better than Hienz' Tomato soup

Finely chop an onion add some garlic and fry it slowly on a low heat until its clear. Burn it and it tastes horrible, cook it slowly and it caramelizes adding sweetness. Take your time.
Two tins of chipped tomatoes, add a handful of chopped potatoes, a liter of vegetable stock and bring to a simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
Add a dash of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
Add some seasoning if it needs it.
Serve with cream and a dash of fresh basil or possibly coriander. It doesn't need it but it makes it better.
Takes about half an hour.

Last edited:

Trendyvure

Oct 2, 2017
Skillet Chicken Bulgogi

This is a quick and easy, but very tasty meal. You can substitute the chicken with beef or pork for variety. My wife and I absolutely love this recipe, and it only takes 30 minutes with very few dirty dishes! Serve over rice.

Ingredients:
¼ cup chopped onion
5 tablespoons soy sauce
2 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon cayenne salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips

Directions
Step 1
Whisk onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until marinade is smooth.

Step 2
Cook and stir chicken and marinade together in a large skillet over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through about 15 minutes.

Happy cooking.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
This recipe came from Costo’s magazine. It’s been a hit with those I know of who tried it. You can pan fry and finish in the oven or grill the salmon. It’s spicy but you can cut the spice by adding more of the sugar.

Firecracker Salmon

Ingredients

Salmon
  • 1.5 - 2.5 lbs skinless salmon filet cut into 1.5 inch wide strips
  • 2 - 3 tbs canola or avocado oil
  • (Optional) Chopped chives for garnish

Marinade
  • 1/3 cup Sriracha sauce (up to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (up to 1/2 to 2/3 cup can be used)
  • 3 tbs soy sauce
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 - 2 tsp Chile de Arbol red peppers ground to flakes
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp Diamond kosher salt

Directions
  1. Mix together marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Marinade salmon portions in the refrigerator for 30 - 60 minutes.
  3. In a large oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Pan sear salmon for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until crispy. If there's a skin side, start with the flesh side.
  5. Transfer pan to 400 degree oven and finish cooking through, 5 - 7 minutes (internal temp 145 F).
  6. Garnish with optional chopped chives.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
My son's friend came to visit for the Holidays, and she made this crab dip, which she served on wontons.
The crab dip itself is quite tasty, and could be served many ways, but the wontons made this an excellent appetizer / finger food for casual social events (Super Bowl ?). Makes approx. 28 servings.

Crab Dip Wonton

1 package of Wonton wraps (square)
1 pound lump Crab Meat
1 8oz. package of Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard

Thoroughly mix Cream Cheese, Mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning and Ground Mustard in a large bowl. Then gently blend in Crab Meat.
Using a Muffin Pan, insert individual Wontons in each cup to form, and bake at 325*F for three to five minutes, or until edges begin to change color. Remove and place one heaping teaspoon of Crab Mix into each Wonton, and cover each with a light layer of Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Return to oven for another three to five minutes, long enough to warm Crab Mix and melt Cheddar Cheese. Should get 24 to 30 appetizers.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I make this a lot - my Dad loves it !
Pineapple Cole Slaw

Coleslaw...however you make it ( I cheat and buy a bag pre-done)
Can of crushed pineapple (with half the juice - drink the other half)
Cup of Greek yogurt (or so...depending on how wet you like your slaw)
A handful or 2 or 3 raisins
A handful or 2 or 3 of dried cranberries
A handful or 2 or 3 of sliced almonds, or sunflower seeds or...

Mix 'em up and enjoy !
This is a really easy and flexible dish.

I have put quartered dried apricots in it too.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I make this a lot - my Dad loves it !
Pineapple Cole Slaw

Coleslaw...however you make it ( I cheat and buy a bag pre-done)
Can of crushed pineapple (with half the juice - drink the other half)
Cup of Greek yogurt (or so...depending on how wet you like your slaw)
A handful or 2 or 3 raisins
A handful or 2 or 3 of dried cranberries
A handful or 2 or 3 of sliced almonds, or sunflower seeds or...

Mix 'em up and enjoy !
This is a really easy and flexible dish.

I have put quartered dried apricots in it too.

This sounds tasty. I will have to share with Mamaw...

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
TRIPLE MUSTARD WINGS

25 Chicken Wings, frozen.
2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
2 Tbsp. Honey Mustard
2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder.

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Mix Ingredients in a bowl, then pour into a large freezer bag containing Wings. Mix thoroughly, until wings are covered.
Cover a large cooking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking oil. Arrange Chicken Wings on sheet, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
Serves 3 to 4, depending on side dishes.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
GRILLED BABY BACK RIBS

Two racks baby back ribs.
Your favorite meat rub.
Your favorite barbecue sauce.

Remove membrane from back of ribs (thin layer on bone side)
Prepare grill for several hours of cooking at 275°F to 300°F.
Sprinkle rub onto ribs, front and back, and rub into meat.
Place ribs, bone down, onto grill for one hour to hour and a half.
Remove from grill and wrap ribs completely in aluminum foil.
Return to grill for an hour to an hour and a half.
Remove ribs, remove from foil. Baste with barbecue sauce and return to grill.
Cook another 30 to 45 minutes.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
1 box Angel food cake mix
1 20oz can of pineapple in juice

Mix dry cake mix and pineapple, pour in greased Bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven on 350° for 35-40 mins. Let cool in pan for 30 mins or so.
Top with Cool whip when completely cooled.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
1 box Angel food cake mix
1 20oz can of pineapple in juice

Mix dry cake mix and pineapple, pour in greased Bundt pan. Bake in preheated oven on 350° for 35-40 mins. Let cool in pan for 30 mins or so.
Top with Cool whip when completely cooled.
I've made this several times, very good!

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Goulash

1 lb. Ground Beef.
1 lb. Macaroni.
1 Large jar Spaghetti Sauce.
1 Large can Baked Beans .
2 tbsp (or one good squirt) Maple Syrup.
1 tbsp. Brown Sugar.
1 tsp. Red Pepper.

Boil water for Macaroni while mixing Spaghetti Sauce, Baked Beans, Maple Syrup, Brown Sugar and Red Pepper in a 3qt. Saucepan and heat on medium heat.
Add 1 tbsp of salt to boiling water, and add Macaroni. Cook according to package directions.
In large skillet, brown the Ground Beef. Season to taste (1/2 tsp onion salt and 1/2 tsp oregano recommended.)
Stir Saucepan and Beef until Macaroni is cooked. Pour into strainer, add two half-teaspoons of butter and stir to butter the noodles.
Blend Macaroni, Beef and Beans/ Sauce in large pot used to cook Macaroni. Stir until mixed well and serve.
Feeds family of five regardless of how many teenagers are involved.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Trying something new, not sure how it will turn out. Mamaw is going to slow cook a Beef Brisket in the oven today, so late yesterday (around 9:00PM) I found this online. "Memphis Dry Rub" includes 1/4 cup of each; Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Paprika., and 1 Tbsp of the each; Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and Chili Powder. On a double sheet of aluminum foil, completely cover beef on both sides, what up and refrigerate overnight.
Don't understand how meats can marinate in dry seasonings, but we will find out later today after Mamaw slow cooks in the oven.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Beet and Feta Bake

This is a rough recipe that you should adjust all amounts to whatever size you want to make. Could be single serving ramikan or large baking dish. Dish should be large enough to allow the finished food to be in a shallow layer, inch and a half perhaps.

Whole Fresh Beets - tops removed
Feta, Crumbled
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Herbs / Seasonings (optional)
Bread Crumbs (optional)

-Preheat oven to 375°-400°
-Leave beets whole with skin on. Rub with oil to coat.
-Wrap in foil packets and bake 45 minutes to an hour or so, until knife or fork slides smoothly into beet. They will not be as soft as a cooked potato but close. Not as soft as a canned beet.
-Let cool slightly, the next step is removing the skins and you can burn yourself if they are too hot. If you have baby beets you can leave the skins on and eat them.
-Beet skins slide off very easily. The easiest method I have seen is to use paper towels in each hand and just rub the skins off including the nub at top left over from leaves. Start at the top and just slide them off.
-Set oven to broil - I have a "Low Broil" setting I like to use for this
-Cut peeled beets into bite size chunks then place in baking dish
-Drizzle olive oil enough to coat beets (this is where I use a garlic oil or other flavored oil), don't go overboard here, more oil on top later
-Add to beets some feta cheese (more will go on top) salt, pepper, any herbs and seasoning and mix together until evenly combined and flatten out in dish
-Layer more feta loosely on top, add more herbs/seasonings over top feta
-Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar to your taste, too much leaves a puddle in dish
**If you want breadcrumbs on top sprinkle breadcrumbs over top feta after adding Balsamic vinegar.
-Drizzle lightly with more oil whether you use breadcrumbs or not.
-Place under broiler until top is golden brown.
-Remove from oven and eat it, it's just so good, don't wait! Just look at all that crispy golden feta, and oh my! Beets and feta taste amazing together :lol::lol:

There are plenty of easy variations on cooking the beets, whole in a dish, cut in foil, cut in a saute pan, hard to go wrong I think, as long as the end result is a dish of beets and feta baked in the oven.
I would NOT in any way use canned beets for this.
Dish could be made without the feta and any combination of savory herbs or other flavors.
Beets go well with rosemary, thyme, dried garlic, onion powder, a little cayenne. On the other end, separately from the spices I just mentioned, are things like allspice nutmeg cinnamon brown sugar butter.....

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Trying something new, not sure how it will turn out. Mamaw is going to slow cook a Beef Brisket in the oven today, so late yesterday (around 9:00PM) I found this online. "Memphis Dry Rub" includes 1/4 cup of each; Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Paprika., and 1 Tbsp of the each; Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and Chili Powder. On a double sheet of aluminum foil, completely cover beef on both sides, what up and refrigerate overnight.
Don't understand how meats can marinate in dry seasonings, but we will find out later today after Mamaw slow cooks in the oven.

So... Mamaw wrapped the Brisket in aluminum foil, place on a broiling pan and cooked int the oven at 300ºF until the internal temperature was 200º, roughly two and a half hours. And it came out hot and spicy ! The meat is tender, and moist, but Mamaw says it is too spicy for her acid reflux. So I guess I will be eating spicy Memphis Beef for a few days.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
AIR FRYER BLACKENED CHICKEN BREASTS

4 Boneless Chicken Breast
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Weber Kick'n Chicken grilling spice.

Preset Air Fryer to 360°F for 20 minutes. Mix oil and spice, and baste chicken on both sides.
When Air Fryer is ready, set chicken in and turn when prompted.

cowolter

Mar 6, 2020
Love cooking. I made shrimp cataplana from a Portuguese recipe book last night. I need to make more stuff out of this book, because so far it seems like Portuguese food is weirdly similar to Danish food - lots of white wine, cream, nuts, butter. Portuguese food adds more garlic and spices while Danish food goes more for the fruits and Portuguese food tends to be more seafood while Danish is more...land...food...but yeah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread