DIY Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
LorAnn might explain the need for the higher % of flavoring you need...

But still, at THAT rate, may as well skip the extras -- like VG/PG and nicotine. I like FlavourArts much better, but I've tried some LorAnn flavorings, and they're not so weak that I can even remotely imagine vaping 50% flavoring. I don't doubt it's a strongly flavored experience. There is, as they say, no accounting for taste ;-)

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hmmm that really does sound yummy! I might have to try it out at 10% I try to keep my flavoring at 10 or below and 25-50 is alot of flavoring but I bet it will still be good mixed lower. Thanks for the recipe!

That's what I did, Salem - made it @ 10% flavoring which was perfect for me. See, some ppl use Dan's spreadsheet calc which goes by percentages of each flavor which adds up to the whole (100%), which you figure out first; then you enter the other variables, one of them being what % of that flavoring mix you choose to use for the recipe.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Fruity Fish
25% black berry (not blueberry) had a blonde moment
25% raspberry
25% strawberry
13% peach
12% orange
mix it all together and use at 25-50% with nic juice (I think 25% is weak)

Blonde moment or not, the Blueberry stays - it was perfect! Nope, not going to order Blackberry.

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Since I'm promoting "well under 10% flavoring" as a healthier vape, it's only right I provide some examples. Here's an all VG 5.6% flavored Cuban Cigar recipe. If you know how to make e-liquids, skip to the flavoring drop counts at the word Then below.

To an empty 10 ml flask, using a measuring syringe, add 8.5 ml of water. Mark the first level. Add another 1.0 ml of water. Mark the second level. Shake out all the water.

To the empty flask, measure and add nicotine in VG base required for 10 ml of juice, say 1 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine in VG to end up with 10 mg/ml juice, or 2 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine for 20 mg/ml juice, or 2 ml of 48 mg/ml nicotine for 10 mg/ml juice, etc.

To calculate for any strengths, first decide the target strength, say 18 mg/ml, then multiply that number (18) by 10 to get how much nicotine you will need in that 10 ml flask (180). Then divide that by the strength of your nicotine base to get the number of milliliters of base to use. If your base is 36 mg/ml, you need 180/36 = 5 ml. If your base is only 18 mg/ml, you are obviously going to need 10 ml, and that leaves no room for anything else, right? :laugh:

After your nicotine base is in, add VG to the first (8.5 ml) mark.
Add Water to the second (9.5 ml) level (that makes it 1 ml, or 10%, H2O).
That's your unflavored juice sitting there now.

Then (to make 10 ml Cuban Cigar ) add:
9 drops (0.36 ml) FA Cuban Supreme flavor
1 drop (0.04 ml) FA MTS Vape Wizard
3 drops (0.12 ml) FA Dark Vapure for a Macanudo type taste, or FA Latakia for a more Cuban type. You can use FA Perique as well. Shake very well and let it sit a while.

For me, that's a mellow all day vape, not too sweet but for the VG factor, with a nice complex flavor and scent. If you're used to very strong flavoring, I'll grant ya this one is subtle, but give your tastebuds and (especially) your nose a little time to adjust, roll the thick vapor around and whiff it. There's a whole world there. Max at FA is amazing in how he mixes these "tobacco" simulations. If you want a more "ashy" tobacco taste, add a trace of PA Tobacco Absolute.
Total flavoring: 13 drops = 0.52 ml = 5.2%

Here's a not as subtle stronger flavored Concord White that suggests a sweet white wine.

Same starting procedure but different flavors.
To 10 ml unflavored e-liquid add:
8 drops (0.32 ml) FA Concord Grape
4 drops (0.16 ml) FA Citrus Mix
2 drops (0.08 ml) FA Liquid Amber
2 drops (0.08 ml) FA Pear
2 drops (0.08 ml) PA Sucralose Sweetener or less to taste.

The citrus gives it a very refreshing touch. At 16 drops = 0.64 ml = 6.4% flavoring, it's amazingly "there" as a flavor.

One more, maybe even more definite, a Maple Candy:

For 10 ml, to VG + nicotine base + 10% water add
7 drops FA Maple Syrup
2 drops FA Vanilla Tahiti or other Vanilla
3 drops FA Oba Oba
1 drop FA MTS Vape Wizard
2 drops PA Sucralose Sweetener

Yummy, rich and sweet, yet only 5.2% flavoring, no PG, no diacetyl.

Vape on!

Last edited:

Lilacs212too

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
Williamsburg, VA
thanks for bumping, Santo! I came here looking for this thread and thought I would have to dig forever to find it :)

I just made my first purchase from Capella's :banana: they are as follows..

1st Flavor: gingerbread
2nd Flavor: french toast
3rd Flavor: vanilla custard
4th Flavor: chocolate fudge brownie
5th Flavor: Cinnamon Danish Swirl
6th Flavor: peanut butter

I have a few handfuls of other flavors from TPA, FA.. any good suggestions to try out with these?

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I have Capella's French Toast, and want to try mixing my own French Toast for the first time.. attempting to make it like MsTs.. anyone have any suggestions as to what to put with it?

Butterscotch and capella butter also capella maple goes great with it . Tastes very close to msts as well . As for the rest of of the capella you got try my Pb cup recipe in the diy recipe section .

Lilacs212too

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
Williamsburg, VA
Butterscotch and capella butter also capella maple goes great with it . Tastes very close to msts as well . As for the rest of of the capella you got try my Pb cup recipe in the diy recipe section .

I didn't have butterscotch, so I tossed in a drop of vanilla custard, a drop or two of maple, a drop or two of caramel, some butter.. it came out pretty damned tasty! I'm loving it right now :) thanks for your input! Also checked out your PB cup recipe.. I don't have all the ingredients, so I am going to have to wait to try, or greatly modify it lol.. we shall see.. for now, it's a French Toast kind of Sunday morning :vapor:

terrilg70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
NC
I love a good Bourbon or Whiskey flavoring....and you can use either...but i also love Tuaca ( italian liquor that has a very smooth whiskey flavor )

Use approx 5% to 10% if you want it strong, in your unflavored juice

I suggest : Jim Beam Bourbon

Or : Jack Daniels
Or: Tuaca
Or: Southern Comfort

never thought of using liquor...

terrilg70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
NC
Be that as it may, we're dealing with concentrated flavoring that's used in foods at maybe 1%. Using them at 30% would be considered incompetent waste, numbing the tastebuds. To each his own, but when we switched from smoking to vaping, the intent was to reduce the harm, not to embark on another high risk adventure. If I may just express my humble thoughts: we didn't put candy bars in our cigarettes; maybe we'd be better off using the flavoring more in line with its typical concentration in foods and beverages, and not as a chemical sledgehammer at levels that have never been seen in foodstuffs, let alone directly inhaled?

I never really thought about that!!

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
So, in the "less is more" vein, I've never gone over 5% in my own flavoring, though no doubt some of the pre-mixes I've liked are far above that. I have some friends that are experiencing "issues" with vaping and I know one of them is having a PG reaction. I know this because he has the same problems DH was having before I started making him his VG juice. Anyway, they both love the Pralines and cream, so I ordered a dram to mix them up some VG (she's having migraines that go away when she stops vaping, so I don't really know what to tell her). I have no idea what % to put in, since I know I'm in the minority in my flavor preference (5% honeysuckle has been absolutely perfect for me for months now). It's a Lorann's, but I don't want to overdo it. Any idea what the vendors mix it at? Like I said, they love the samples that you wonderful PIFers sent me, I just want to get them some all VG to try before they give up all together. TIA

Paislia

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2011
NY, USA
Daisy, here's my completely amature advice :) - I don't know if PGA (grain alcohol) is avail. in your state, but the best all vg juice I have done had a base of 70% vg, 10% distilled water, 10% PGA, and 10% flavor. I would recommend making them one at 7% flavor though as lorann's I believe is the more concentrated brand. Or maybe one at 5%, and one at 10% and see which they like! If you can stand it, let steep for 48hrs before letting them try it. Take good notes and let us know how it goes! :)

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
LA is a PG based flavoring. If you really want to get away from PG, go with Natures Flavors which has VG based flavorings.
When I had my situations........I cut out the PG, & went with Natures Flavors.......& haven't had a situation since.

Also, in a VG base, take note that VG doesn't carry flavor as well as PG does. So in essence, you would have to use more flavoring to make up for that difference.

So, in the "less is more" vein, I've never gone over 5% in my own flavoring, though no doubt some of the pre-mixes I've liked are far above that. I have some friends that are experiencing "issues" with vaping and I know one of them is having a PG reaction. I know this because he has the same problems DH was having before I started making him his VG juice. Anyway, they both love the Pralines and cream, so I ordered a dram to mix them up some VG (she's having migraines that go away when she stops vaping, so I don't really know what to tell her). I have no idea what % to put in, since I know I'm in the minority in my flavor preference (5% honeysuckle has been absolutely perfect for me for months now). It's a Lorann's, but I don't want to overdo it. Any idea what the vendors mix it at? Like I said, they love the samples that you wonderful PIFers sent me, I just want to get them some all VG to try before they give up all together. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread