Evic VT LiPo Batteries? Scared!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a EVIC VT and i heard a lot of stuff about lipo batteries can vent, and when they do vent its big. I just charge my EVIC VT at night with a amazon kindle usb wire and samsung usb to plug thingy.

Should i be scared of it venting

i dont go below .25 ohms or above 30 watts.

I dont harshly treat the mod either, i am gentle with it

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
The thing with built in LiPo packs, most times the bigger manufacturers like joyetech research what they use. The LiPo in the Evic VT I believe is 3 cells in parallel, so load is balanced between all 3 cells. Charging the onboard charger was engineered to provide proper balanced charging to all 3 cells, so as long as the amps coming from the charger are not to great, ie the mod gets hot during charging you are doing damage, if the mod is just barely above body temperature you are fine. 60watts/3.2 lowest volts on charge before shutdown=18 to 19 amps, 19amps/3 cells= 6.3amps per cell at max wattage, think you are pretty much fine.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The explosion happens when a battery vents and the pressure has nowhere to go. The evic vt has vent holes, so the pressure can escape. It's safe.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Venting is actually not a violent event and is quite different from a battery in thermal runaway.

Venting will just release the excess gas and pressure that has built up due to being discharged too hard, i.e., the battery has gotten too hot. There"s no bursting of the battery, just a spraying of hot liquid and gas a ways from the top of the battery at the worst. Even a single hole in the mod can vent these gases safely. The liquid is toxic though and should be cleaned out immediately. Once venting has occurred, recycle the battery. It is no longer safe to use.

Thermal runaway is a whole different story. It is a extremely violent event and can cause the battery to burst if the temperature in the battery rises so fast that the thermal runaway threshold temperature is reached before the battery can vent. The battery bursts and can even ignite the solvent used in the electrolyte, causing a fireball. This fire is common in LiPo runaway and can occasionally happen with an INR battery. It is almost unheard of with IMR batteries.

If the gases generated during thermal runaway aren't let out quickly enough then the mod has essentially become a pipe bomb...and it explodes. The problem is that anything short of having the entire side panel of the mod pop off won't vent these gases quickly enough. Most tube mods have holes to handle battery venting, not runaway.

@Johntacomo, don't worry though. It's incredibly hard to bring a battery into thermal runaway without short-circuiting it. And that's just about impossible with a regulated mod since the coil is connected to the regulator, not the battery. It's in mechanical mods that a shorted battery can, and has, caused real problems. It's even very, very hard to get the internal battery in a regulated mod to vent. The regulator board usually overheats before the battery does and shuts down.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Venting is actually Not a violent event and is quite different from a battery in thermal runaway.

Venting will just release the excess gas and pressure that has built up due to being discharged too hard, i.e., the battery has gotten too hot. There"s no bursting of the battery, just a spraying of hot liquid and gas a ways from the top of the battery at the worst. Even a single hole in the mod can vent these gases safely. The liquid is toxic though and should be cleaned out immediately. Once venting has occurred, recycle the battery. It is no longer safe to use.

Thermal runaway is a whole different story. It is a extremely violent event and can cause the battery to burst if the temperature in the battery rises so fast that the thermal runaway threshold temperature is reached before the battery can vent. The battery bursts and can even ignite the solvent used in the electrolyte, causing a fireball. This fire is common in LiPo runaway and can occasionally happen with an INR battery. It is almost unheard of with IMR batteries.

If the gases generated during thermal runaway aren't let out quickly enough then the mod has essentially become a pipe bomb...and it explodex. The problem is that anything short of having the entire side panel of the mod off won't vent these gases quickly enough. Most tube mods have holes to handle battery venting, not runaway.

@Johntacomo, don't worry though. It's incredibly hard to bring a battery into thermal runaway without short-circuiting it. And that's just about impossible with a regulated mod since the coil is connected to the regulator, not the battery. It's in mechanical mods that a shorted battery can, and has, caused real problems. It's even very, very hard to get the internal battery in a regulated mod to vent. The regulator board usually overheats before the battery does and shuts down.
    I was almost afraid to open this topic and see what kind of catastrophe would be awaiting as far as disinformation and paranoia.

You're doing a great thing on this site. The site was very much in need of your presence.

Thank you.

Tapatyped

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    :headbang:

I was almost afraid to open this topic and see what kind of catastrophe would be awaiting as far as disinformation and paranoia. He can't leave now, He's under contract :)

You're doing a great thing on this site. The site was very much in need of your presence.

Thank you.

Tapatyped

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    The only advice I will add is don't jostle it while it's on charge. Batteries are unstable when charging; once they're charged they should also be rested a bit to let the internal electron structure stabilize. Can it happen? Yes. But then, we can also be struck by a giant meteor. Consider that millions of LiPo packs are safely used every day around the world. You have one in you cellphone, for example.

P. Busardo had some words about the LiPo packs when reviewing the DNA200 boards. He didn't seem terribly concerned.

For me, it's also been somewhat offputting to getting one of those mods. I've had "use IMR or INR" drilled into my head so much that as soon as you present me with a LiPo pack, I get a little worried.

What I think we have to consider is that the company has chosen this pack, it's not something the end user has randomly pulled off the shelf and plugged in, the way we do our 18650 cells. And unlike a single ICR cell from the local vape shop (which may or may not be labeled poorly, and may or may not be the right cell for the amperage drain the user will run at), these have been designed for use in that particular mod.

I'm much more inclined to trust the pack in that case--but just like any other lithium battery, I'm going to exercise the usual care in use and charging, and monitor the pack for aging.

Reactions: Mooch

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    Lipos aren't like 18650 batteries you see in other mods. They don't 'just' vent they vent and can catch fire. Stacked cells are even worse as just one bad cell will take the other one with it and what could have been a small fire could turn into something much worse.

P. Busardo had some words about the LiPo packs when reviewing the DNA200 boards.
    P Busardo doesn't handle LiPo batteries on a daily basis, he should NOT be used as a knowledgeable reference! I bet he's never even mentioned anything about balance charging or the proper way to store a LiPo when you plan to not use them for a while. Look up LiPo batteries and pay close attention to the RC community, they've been handling LiPos for decades.

15 things every LiPo battery user should know

He didn't say too much about them, no, but he's also an RC enthusiast so he'd already know the proper handling.

Would I use one? I'd be more hesitant while 18650 systems are available and I can use my nice safe(r) IMR and INR batteries. Plus I tend to vape around 5-6 watts, so I wouldn't need the power anyway. A basic 30 watt mod is overkill for me!

Reactions: GeorgeS

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Never charge anything unsupervised, if you feel a concern buy a charging bag that can contain any possible fire (still supervise the charging process). If using a mod of any type and it feels warm to make you feel concerned, set it down for a bit and let if cool off. If the mod gets HOT, then stop use until you can find out the cause. I prefer to be over cautious in any situation I'm not sure of, not just vaping. It's far better to be cautious and go crazy me than to ignore a possible sign and get injured or lose property, but that's just me.

If you are unsure of your charging amps, look on the wall wart, the part that plugs into the socket, it should say how many amps it outputs. The only higher outputs that I have seen personally are the newer iPhone chargers, some HTC and the Nexus 6. I generally won't use a charger that has the "turbo" or quick charge ability, the slower chargers generally will help extend battery life.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2013
    New York
    He didn't say too much about them, no, but he's also an RC enthusiast so he'd already know the proper handling.

Would I use one? I'd be more hesitant while 18650 systems are available and I can use my nice safe(r) IMR and INR batteries. Plus I tend to vape around 5-6 watts, so I wouldn't need the power anyway. A basic 30 watt mod is overkill for me!
    I hate to say it but a proper enthusiast would tell you to remove the batteries from the mod and balance charge at least once a week he didn't mention that at all, take it from someone who's been flying models since the early 80s, stacked cells NEED to be balance charged. Also the absolute worst thing you can do with a LiPo balance charge or not is leave it unattended and go do something else.

Reactions: MorpheusPA
    So your recommendation for somebody like me (who can competently use a single IMR/INR cell but hasn't a clue on how to handle a LiPo pack) would be to avoid any system using them due to the complexity of proper use?

Good to know, thank you! I never realized that they had so many considerations--and I'm nervy about leaving my INRs charge with me out of the room even at 500ma. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread