Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Ok I since I got this chuwi Windows 10 tablet, I've been wondering how I would be able to run case and battery analyzer. The tiny Lipo in the tablet wouldn't last long enough to complete the tests. And there's only one usb port, so I just soldered an extra positive and negative wire to the Lipo's output wires. Ran them outside of the tablet and I'm going rig up some 18650's in parallel so I can run these tests. You think I'll run into any problems? Anything I missed?
EDIT....I'm just going to order a USB charging board.
EDIT2.....I bought a 5 pack of 1 amp micro usb charging boards, my question is, if i wire two of the charging boards in parallel, on the output side(b+ and b- x2), will that give me 2 amp capability?
IMG_20151128_003155-1.jpg
IMG_20151128_003145-1.jpg

Last edited:

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
A perfect example of that is the dropping out of Temp mode that took me almost two full pages of posts in this thread to get

The "dropping out of temp mode" issue is pretty well understood. If you are using a wire with a low TCR value, and you have a base atomizer/mod resistance that is higher than that entered into escribe the following occurs:

The added resistance of your mod/atomizer/coil produces a much smaller resistance change (as the only part that is changing is the coil) than the TCR value would imply. So you can have Ti or SS and the device will not fire in TC mode because it dose not see a resistance percentage drop that appears to qualify for TC.

To fix this, you run atomizer analyzer with the atomizer shorted so you can factor in your mod/atomizer resistance.

Also, atomizers that change resistance when they heat will have the same effect.

If you are going to vape low TCR wires, then you will need to have a tight, well tuned rig so that it can see the micro changes in resistance.

I recommend you read this thread for more of the background: TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance

Last edited:

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
The "dropping out of temp mode" issue is pretty well understood. If you are using a wire with a low TCR value, and you have a base atomizer/mod resistance that is higher than that entered into escribe the following occurs:

The added resistance of your mod/atomizer/coil produces a much smaller resistance change (as the only part that is changing is the coil) than the TCR value would imply. So you can have Ti or SS and the device will fire in TC mode because it dose not see a resistance percentage drop that appears to qualify for TC.

To fix this, you run atomizer analyzer with the atomizer shorted so you can factor in your mod/atomizer resistance.

Also, atomizers that change resistance when they heat will have the same effect.

If you are going to vape low TCR wires, then you will need to have a tight, well tuned rig so that it can see the micro changes in resistance.

I recommend you read this thread for more of the background: TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance

The bug I referenced is actually more with the design of the board or logic that requires a certain amount of power be applied to the coils in a specific period of time, a feature that not everyone cares for or wants. As in this example the user posted mild preheat and mild power for his particular setup but wouldn't reach the devices criteria to stay in Temp mode. Too bad the device wouldn't let him vape how he wanted.

upload_2015-11-28_10-23-41.png

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
The bug I referenced is actually more with the design of the board or logic that requires a certain amount of power be applied to the coils in a specific period of time, a feature that not everyone cares for or wants. As in this example the user posted mild preheat and mild power for his particular setup but wouldn't reach the devices criteria to stay in Temp mode. Too bad the device wouldn't let him vape how he wanted.

View attachment 509906

So when I build the identical 26AWG twisted Ti dual coil 0.8 Ohm and vape it with identical settings and it works fine, I'm guessing you'll still try to convince me this guy's problem is a bug in the board design or logic? 100W preheat for 1 sec to a 50W limit on a 26AWG twisted dual coil build should be plenty. I'm not saying it didn't happen but something else has to be funky somewhere.

Reactions: tehdarkaura

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
Too many Dna mods. Thanks too evolv for the gift I received today. Now 2 reference mods and the wismec
ce3c769d72ad5f186742bbeed92101ba.jpg
You don't need all them modz! I'll be happy to take that black ERM off your hands man ;) -- seriously thats a nice looking box man -- I hope you enjoy it!

Reactions: Mad Scientist

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
So when I build the identical 26AWG twisted Ti dual coil 0.8 Ohm and vape it with identical settings and it works fine, I'm guessing you'll still try to convince me this guy's problem is a bug in the board design or logic? 100W preheat for 1 sec to a 50W limit on a 26AWG twisted dual coil build should be plenty. I'm not saying it didn't happen but something else has to be funky somewhere.

Why doesn't he post what he thinks are bugs in Evolv's forum..??? If they are I'm sure Evolv would like to know. Kinda getting redundant here IMO.

skineedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
I have a DNA200 mod & a Macbook running El Capitan. I use Parallels with no problems. You don't need to use Bootcamp either. And Parallels uses a dynamic disk that only expands if needed. My windows install uses about 35GB with the OS and all the Windows software I use which isn't a lot.
The DNA200 is certainly worth this cost. I love it and would certainly purchase another should I lose this one.

As for the problems some may be finding with the mods not working properly with some TC wires, try hard rebooting the device in escribe. This is a problem that has been experienced by others and is being worked on by the developers.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I have a DNA200 mod & a Macbook running El Capitan. I use Parallels with no problems. You don't need to use Bootcamp either. And Parallels uses a dynamic disk that only expands if needed. My windows install uses about 35GB with the OS and all the Windows software I use which isn't a lot.
The DNA200 is certainly worth this cost. I love it and would certainly purchase another should I lose this one.

As for the problems some may be finding with the mods not working properly with some TC wires, try hard rebooting the device in escribe. This is a problem that has been experienced by others and is being worked on by the developers.

All the new wires coming out brings a learning process and maybe tweaks to TCR's, TFR's, and maybe firmware. Waiting for someone to try gold TC wire.....

Reactions: tehdarkaura

dr3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast

Well, without acknowledging how my post was brought to this board ... I'd love it if you would try to get a Temp Controlled vape from a duplicate build at those settings. To be fair, 1) it was a .08 ohm build and 2) 50 Joules did not achieve my target temp on the sx350j. Rather, temp reading bounced around between 300 & 350F. However the mass of the build resulted in a very warm vape at those mod calculated temperatures.

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Well, without acknowledging how my post was brought to this board ... I'd love it if you would try to get a Temp Controlled vape from a duplicate build at those settings. To be fair, 1) it was a .08 ohm build and 2) 50 Joules did not achieve my target temp on the sx350j. Rather, temp reading bounced around between 300 & 350F. However the mass of the build resulted in a very warm vape at those mod calculated temperatures.

In the tone of voice & inflection of Arte Johnson as Wolfgang the German from the TV show Laugh In (68-73): "Very interesting..."

Reactions: dr3d

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA

Thanks for jumping in to this. I'll do it when I get home this week (traveling for the holiday). I suspect the issue was proper TCR for the actual wire. If the TCR set in the device is higher than the actual TCR of the wire, the device will want to see more resistance increase than will actually occur. I have the equipment available to measure actual wire temp so we can likely figure out where it got funky. The 26AWG Ti I have on hand is the Unkamen which has generally been very well behaved. I think we'll figure it out.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth

Let us know how that build works out I'd be interested to know. But regardless it is how the boards are designed to function requiring 150F in 1 sec or something like that before jumping out of Temp mode and once out of Temp mode that's how it stays. Not really a documented feature so not sure on the specifics. And no I'm not going to try to convince you of anything because to you it's never going to be anything other than the mod, 510 or user, anything other than the board. I was only replying to Blueridgedog who was trying to help and thinking that post was talking about the other causes of jumping out of Temp mode when having resistance or TCR problems.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
Let us know how that build works out I'd be interested to know. But regardless it is how the boards are designed to function requiring 150F in 1 sec or something like that before jumping out of Temp mode and once out of Temp mode that's how it stays. Not really a documented feature so not sure on the specifics. And no I'm not going to try to convince you of anything because to you it's never going to be anything other than the mod, 510 or user, anything other than the board. I was only replying to Blueridgedog who was trying to help and thinking that post was talking about the other causes of jumping out of Temp mode when having resistance or TCR problems.
It is a safety feature to stop burning with kanthal coils and very sensible who wants to vape anything that doesn't come up to less than half vaping temp in the first second.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA

I'm game. If the calculated wire temp doesn't rise 150F above cold baseline temp in a full second of applied power, what should the mod do? If it shuts down, you'd criticize it for doing that. What it does do is figure it can't be an actual TC wire type. It has to do something so what should it do? It obviously detects the condition so submit your ideas for what it needs to do to evolv and if enough users agree, evolv will implement it. If the configuration is set correctly I doubt many users experience the condition and could care less but you have better ideas so submitting them to evolv is always open to you.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Why doesn't he post what he thinks are bugs in Evolv's forum..??? If they are I'm sure Evolv would like to know. Kinda getting redundant here IMO.

As I've stated previously the posts have been on the Evolv forum for quite some time, have been overlooked and unanswered. If they had wanted to respond there has been ample time to do so. Forcing the questions at this point may get answers just not necessarily correct and honest ones. Regardless you are aware the Mad Scientist posted the questions there so the need for redundant questions or your post... HMMMMM

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Well, without acknowledging how my post was brought to this board ...

//snipped

To be fair, 1) it was a .08 ohm build and 2) 50 Joules did not achieve my target temp on the sx350j. Rather, temp reading bounced around between 300 & 350F.

@dr3d was not talking about an Evolv board.

That is why it was, " Very interesting..."

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
I'm game. If the calculated wire temp doesn't rise 150F above cold baseline temp in a full second of applied power, what should the mod do? If it shuts down, you'd criticize it for doing that. What it does do is figure it can't be an actual TC wire type. It has to do something so what should it do? It obviously detects the condition so submit your ideas for what it needs to do to evolv and if enough users agree, evolv will implement it. If the configuration is set correctly I doubt many users experience the condition and could care less but you have better ideas so submitting them to evolv is always open to you.

Perhaps it should do what it's been set to do through the settings and loaded TCR and nothing more. And you may be right, there are probably thousands of users out there right now vaping on SS in Power mode thinking they're in Temp limiting mode and not knowing or caring.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
As I've stated previously the posts have been on the Evolv forum for quite some time, have been overlooked and unanswered. If they had wanted to respond there has been ample time to do so. Forcing the questions at this point may get answers just not necessarily correct and honest ones. Regardless you are aware the Mad Scientist posted the questions there so the need for redundant questions or your post... HMMMMM

Yeah, when your "brilliant" observations are ignored, must be frustrating. Don't worry, you'll still get plenty of attention here. Troll feeding is a bit of a hobby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread