Does temperature control help avoid coil gunk with nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
People's Republic of Stroud
so there's a line of juices I really like...however they are coil gunking nets. We're talking within 2mls.

I don't want to get into coil buidling and dripping...not least as I have two kittens 9 weeks old who explore and knock everything over...dripper bottle and cat equals a nightmare.

Might a temperature controlled device improve this...if say I could get 5ml+ before the coil tastes like burning ashtray I would be happy...Have read, due to the coil not getting too hot, gunk is I improved...is this so?

Additionally all the temp controlled coils seem real low resistance...am I going to end up blowing clouds or can the temperature be set too make a more tootle puffing experience e.g. Similar to nautilus or gs tank @ 12.5 watts?

Fasttech have the evic 60watt with the 5000mah at a good price...is this a decent device on a budget? Did look at the Eleaf istick 40 watt to but it only seemed to run nickel coils and not titanium, are nickel adequate?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

morningdew, 29 minutes agoEditReport
#1+ QuoteReplyTop

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Hard to answer... Which juices gunk after 2ml?

TC will prevent burning. That should allow coils to last longer, but they also increase your flavor expectations. So to get the flavor you are chasing, you may be replacing them just as often.

My worst coil performance was with a sweet and heavy custard. I'd get three days and maybe 50ml's before switching.

I do find the coils in the crown tank to last longer then the old atlantis.

Tootle puffers should like TC more then cloud chasers. That's my opinion. Some may disagree. You are giving up vapor for flavor. Lots more flavor.

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Won't really help much. NET juices are just nasty, nothing you can do about that.

As for low resistance, with temp control that doesn't mean more cloudzbro. That said, unless you're willing to make your own coils, I think you'll find the performance of Nautilus nickel coils to be pretty poor.

I have two e-liquid flavors that I love that I found killed my coils. I moved from kanthal to nickel coils, but unfortunately, it only added about a day of life to the coils before I had to replace them. I think the added life was because once the kanthal coil got gunked up, it heated up and resulted in repetitive dry/burnt hits, whereas the temperature control prevented that. Long story short from my experience: no I don't think it'll help significantly. As much as I loved those two flavors, I had to stop using them because it wasn't worth going through a coil every day or two.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
I have found it to a bit together with cleaning you coil wire (fine abrasive then acetone or alcohol), I vape 100% PG @ 380 F and can only do 1 cotton type tank with Kanthal, 2 or 3 tanks with temp limiting. I mainly use genesis with ss rope and they are much better, dry burn then steam or ultrasonic clean once a week and coils easy last a month.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
lol It is only a cheap factory referb hand held steam cleaner from eBay IIRC about $40 and great for cleaning gennies without dismantling, the ultrasonic is almost as good, but take longer and leaves water behind. With temp limiting you can was cotton wicks in place and dry them by firing, but that doesn't help if the coil is gunked.

J Wo

Aug 28, 2015
lol It is only a cheap factory referb hand held steam cleaner from eBay IIRC about $40 and great for cleaning gennies without dismantling, the ultrasonic is almost as good, but take longer and leaves water behind. With temp limiting you can was cotton wicks in place and dry them by firing, but that doesn't help if the coil is gunked.

I meant I literally drip water on the cartomizer and vape it dry, that's how cheap I am :w00t:. You are correct it doesn't help that much at "ungunking" the coil. I haven't tried it on my coilheads yet. The coils that I build do burn clean though, but you're right that doesn't help with a coilhead.

Vape on Vapester. :thumbs:

Reactions: VapingBad

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I am a super taster so I can use the ready made Net juices at 5% in my DIYed nic base. :p I would suggest if you really like them - try backing off of the flavoring - maybe adding a bit of VG/PG at a time so you can train your taste buds to pick up the flavor(s) quicker. Hopefully this will help. :)

Reactions: morningdew

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I was buying a pre mix online that gunked up my coils in 2 days. When I started DIY I used a flavor by Capella and now I'm rebuilding once a week and the coil is still hardly gunked up. Capella advertises that they use no sweetners in their flavors. I think the gunking is mostly caused by things that carmelize when heated. That might be certain sweetners and probably other things that are used to make flavoring. Also I only need to add 3.5% to get good flavor. I believe a lot of the commercial pre mixes use much higher percentages. The flavor I'm referring to is called Cuppuccino. I like it. My coworkers who vape also like it.

Reactions: morningdew

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
so there's a line of juices I really like...however they are coil gunking nets. We're talking within 2mls.

I don't want to get into coil buidling and dripping...not least as I have two kittens 9 weeks old who explore and knock everything over...dripper bottle and cat equals a nightmare.

Might a temperature controlled device improve this...if say I could get 5ml+ before the coil tastes like burning ashtray I would be happy...Have read, due to the coil not getting too hot, gunk is I improved...is this so?

Additionally all the temp controlled coils seem real low resistance...am I going to end up blowing clouds or can the temperature be set too make a more tootle puffing experience e.g. Similar to Nautilus or gs tank @ 12.5 watts?

Fasttech have the evic 60watt with the 5000mah at a good price...is this a decent device on a budget? Did look at the Eleaf istick 40 watt to but it only seemed to run nickel coils and not titanium, are nickel adequate?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

#1+ QuoteReplyTop
Not sure about the other comments. I actually find them disturbingly wrong. If you have to change coils often your doing something wrong. With kanthal coils, I can make them last a really long time, like months. All you have to do it dry burn them and re wick them. I don't see the need to actually change them unless the kanthal is degrading which should take quite a while. Now the problem with tc is you can not dry burn the coils. So coil life will be SUBSTANTIALLY shorter. You can not ever under any circumstances dry burn titanium, you can pulse it without making it glow but I don't think that's really helping.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Not sure about the other comments. I actually find them disturbingly wrong. If you have to change coils often your doing something wrong. With kanthal coils, I can make them last a really long time, like months. All you have to do it dry burn them and re wick them. I don't see the need to actually change them unless the kanthal is degrading which should take quite a while. Now the problem with tc is you can not dry burn the coils. So coil life will be SUBSTANTIALLY shorter. You can not ever under any circumstances dry burn titanium, you can pulse it without making it glow but I don't think that's really helping.

I use stock coils, just not into rebuilding or making my own coils, hence wondering if temperature control might be a solution of kinds. Stock coils I use are cotton so cannot be dry burnt.

Meanwhile I found a solution of sorts, Vape one tank of 2ml only, rinse and soak the coil in vodka - the vodka starts to go brown!, dry and it can the run another 2ml. By end of each 2ml I start to notice the 'funk'. Not tried a third round yet but optimistic it will go that. If I can get 6ml out of each coil I am happy and it is an excel table compromise, even 4ml may do as I don' always vape these particular juices.

They are nets, others are correct.

Not so sure about the cost of coils, it might be the cost of the vodka that bankrupts me...

Thanks all, I forgot to subscribe to thread, hence late reply. All comments appreciated.

Reactions: Dixie1954

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
I use stock coils, just not into rebuilding or making my own coils, hence wondering if temperature control might be a solution of kinds. Stock coils I use are cotton so cannot be dry burnt.

Meanwhile I found a solution of sorts, Vape one tank of 2ml only, rinse and soak the coil in vodka - the vodka starts to go brown!, dry and it can the run another 2ml. By end of each 2ml I start to notice the 'funk'. Not tried a third round yet but optimistic it will go that. If I can get 6ml out of each coil I am happy and it is an excel table compromise, even 4ml may do as I don' always vape these particular juices.

They are nets, others are correct.

Not so sure about the cost of coils, it might be the cost of the vodka that bankrupts me...

Thanks all, I forgot to subscribe to thread, hence late reply. All comments appreciated.
Somethings very wrong man. I feel like I can't help because I only vape rebuild ables right now. I used to vape a subtank for a month or 2. I used to get atleast 70-80ml per coil. 2 ml is crazy

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Somethings very wrong man. I feel like I can't help because I only vape rebuild ables right now. I used to vape a subtank for a month or 2. I used to get atleast 70-80ml per coil. 2 ml is crazy

It's a net, truth is that is what happens with certain nets...others might say it lasts 5ml or more...but at 2ml I get the 'funk'.

Not a problem with other juices including some nets, I probably get 50ml on average.

As others have said with certain nets it is par for the course, flavour starts to diminish, a slightly burnt taste presents, it starts to taste like an ashtray - I think some mistake it for the juices taste but is actually smouldering gunk!

For sure it tastes hugely different to the first couple of ml's.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California

#1+ QuoteReplyTop
I have the Evic Vt and it's a great device. Don't use the temp control but has that capability.
For around $45.00 it's a steal. My Vapor Store sells it for $45.95
Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarette | myvaporstore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread