Temperature-controlled e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I've been vaping for years now and mastered the in's and out's. I don't get dry hits anymore and usually use 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coils with good cotton around 10 to 15 watts. I'm satisfied where I'm at. But I have a conundrum if vaping can get better for me why not go for it though if it can't why even try.

I've read most posts and articles on the subject BUT there's nothing like getting it from the people who's doing it. In few words what positives can I really expect from upgrading to a temperature controlled device that would make the upgrading worth it?

In this picture they've said " nickel coil and cotton wick after one week of use" is this TRUE - can expect this?
    temperature-control-electronic-cigarettes-1.jpg

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Birmingham, England
    I've been vaping for years now and mastered the in's and out's. I don't get dry hits anymore and usually use 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coils with good cotton around 10 to 15 watts. I'm satisfied where I'm at. But I have a conundrum if vaping can get better for me why not go for it though if it can't why even try.

I've read most posts and articles on the subject BUT there's nothing like getting it from the people who's doing it. In few words what positives can I really expect from upgrading to a temperature controlled device that would make the upgrading worth it?

In this picture they've said " nickel coil and cotton wick after one week of use" is this TRUE - can expect this?
    temperature-control-electronic-cigarettes-1.jpg
    Couple of things. First that is a non-spaced coil which is not ideal for Ni although some people get away with it.
    With clear juices I can use a coil for a significantly longer time than with kanthan for sure!! I would recommend giving it a try. There is a bit of a learning curve but you look like you've been in the business for a while so rage curve won't be steep! Look into Ti also instead of nickel. There are a couple of threads on it and a lot of info!!
    Any specific questions just post em and you'll get plenty of input!

IanDVaypes

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 26, 2014
    Austin, TX
    I actually went back to kanthal for the first time since the very first vaporshark came out. I'm liking it better honestly. My coils gunk up the same with temp control. I actually have to change out my coil once a day. My vape is way more consistant with kanthal. I did get my dreadful dry hit because I almost forgot how to build it right.

Reactions: mightymen

ddarlington24

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2013
    usa
    I'd say part of me says no why couldn't they've had this when we started vaping. Because if you've every experience the complete eye popping dragon fireballs of death that makes you want to vomit upon receiving you're first full on dry hit. This isn't right now i would of loved to have temp control 2 years ago.

But i love the idea of it if all the reviews are true its a game changer in our constantly changing vaping community.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA

I'd say pretty much you can expect your wicks to perform much longer depending on how you vape. As pristine as in the photo after a week (despite too much cotton lol)? Not quite, at least for me, but there is a big difference. Before TC I was a happy vaper but the tail of the juice in my tank always darkened and the wicks got the usual sludge after a while. I didn't really think much of it but the aldehyde issue is always in the back of my mind. With temp control, no more sludge and no more darkened juice in the bottom of the tank. I guess I used to fry the crap out of the juice because it actually took a bit of getting used to not having a bit of what must have been "burnt" something or other in the taste.

Unfortunately, the only way for you to know if TC is for you is to try it for a while. As an endorsement, I already have 2 TC mods even though what's out there is still pretty much in its infancy. It's good enough that I need a backup lol.

Last edited:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    Couple of things. First that is a non-spaced coil which is not ideal for Ni although some people get away with it.!

You're the second person I've seen say this. I still use the same contact coiling method as I did with nichrome or Kanthal and it works just as well as it always did. Is there a basis for not using contact coils with nickel? I'm not seeing it and it just seems like some folklore or something.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

You and I are Very Similar in what we Build and the Watts we Vape at.

Is it Worth it for Someone like yourself. I dunno.

For me. I wasn't going to go out and spend a Lot of Money to see what TC was all about. So I bought an Inexpensive TC. Figured if it Didn't Work, or if was something that I didn't Need/Use all the time, I could always run it in Non TC Mode. So I bought a Kangxin VF Mini from FT. The "Flashlight". LOL

I have to say that I have been Pleasantly Surprised by it. I haven had a Dry Hit Off it. And I can Safely run the Watts Higher. I don't Always run the with Higher Watts. So I'm not Always getting the benefit of TC. But it is Nice to Crack up to Higher Watts when you Want. And Not Get Dry Hits.

Here is what I wrote when I first got my Kangxin VF Mini...

I just got my VF Mini from Fasttech.

Did a .6 Ohm Ti Build on a Subtank Mini and set the Unit to 310F. Tried doing at 25W Dry Burn. The Coils Didn't Turn Red. Great!

I then stuffed the Coil with Cotton and Powered it to see what would Happen. Nothing. No Burning. Nothing. Unbelievable!

So I Saturated the Cotton with e-Liquid for a Vapor Test. Houston... We have Vaper!

Loaded everything Up. Did a couple of Primer Puffs. Then a Big Hit. Wow! No Burnt Hit. Just a Huge Hit. Outstanding!

25 Watts for this e-Liquid with this Ohms on this Subtank Mini should have Tasted Like cross between Welding Fumes and Burnt Marshmallows. It Didn't.

Unreal !

I know this is Probably Old News to Most of You. But this is My 1st TC Mod. Not sure How Well this Mod will perform under Day-2-Day situations? Or if will even Last? But right now it is Blowing My Mind.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    BTW - Here is something Else I wrote in that same thread a few Days ago...

I just had something Strange happen to me with my VF Mini.

I am Happily Vaping away and Reading/Posting about Labels on e-Liquid bottles when all of a sudden I'm not getting a much of a Hit. I look at the Battery Gauge and it is Low, but this Doesn't seem Right.

So I swap out the Old Battery with a Fresh one and do a Test Hit. Very Weak. Almost No Vapor.

Great!

I have had this thing for Less then 24 Hours and it has Already Kacked. Just Fantastic. Gotta do Another RMA from FT. :facepalm:

Then it Dawns on me that I had Run My Tank Dry! But I wasn't getting that End of Tank Dry Hit. With all the Chain Vaping I did Yesterday, my tank was Much Lower than Normal. I refilled the Tank. And it is Back to Hitting like a Champ!

This TC Stuff is Blowing My Mind.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Sound like you really like it Z man. Thanks Buddy.

I was looking at this new device that just hit the market. It has almost everything I want - dual battery, large screen, puff counter.

E-CIGS: Best Electronic Cigatettes,Vaptio E-Cigarettes

No Problem MM.

That Ascension T120 is a Sweet Looking Mod. So is the Soar S50 by the same Company.

I think we are starting to see the 2nd Generation of TC Mods emerge. With More Reasonable Prices. And Improvements/Refinements to Glitches that are Always found in 1st Generation Hardware.

BTW - Good to see you on This side of the ECF. Hope you are keeping the Cartel in check by injecting a Little Balance to the OUTSIDE.

:)

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    All you guys have been very helpful. You've given me some things to think about. Thanks

I see it as going for TC but also getting some goodies in a device that I also want.

1. dual batteries 16500 with easy access.
    2. Must have larger screen so I can see the damn thing without glasses on.
    3. Puff counter, I'm a chain vaper and have to start keeping track of real time use.
    4. 510 spring connector.
    5. Good warranty.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Why do you think that?

Because I know MM.

And the Mod that was Initially referenced was a Dual 18650 Mod. That, and there are VERY Few dual 16500 Mods out there. Let alone Dual 16500 TC Mods.

But of course. I could be Wrong.

Guess will just have to wait for MM to Pop Back in and Set the Record Straight.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    All you guys have been very helpful. You've given me some things to think about. Thanks

I see it as going for TC but also getting some goodies in a device that I also want.

1. dual batteries 16500 with easy access.
    2. Must have larger screen so I can see the damn thing without glasses on.
    3. Puff counter, I'm a chain vaper and have to start keeping track of real time use.
    4. 510 spring connector.
    5. Good warranty.

What can you expect from a temperature controlled device:
    Your coils won't get red hot in temperature control mode.

Most of the devices out right now depend on nickel coils to function in temperature control mode.
    There have been a few announcements this year of temperature control systems using regular wire;

So I'd hold on buying a temperature control device for a bit

icebat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2014
    KS
    Good Thread Mightymen. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as vaping style, I look forward to reading some more opinions in this thread. I'm also a chain vaper myself, which I think I could definitely benefit from TC. My only worry is, I've heard some people say that temp control doesn't work as good in rebuildable tanks like the Kayfun for example, and it works better on drippers. I'm not really interested in dripping and vape strictly with Kayfuns. Anyone having good luck with TC on a kayfun?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread