Do e-cigarettes make it harder to stop smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcguffie

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Ayrshire, Scotland, UK
BTW - There is an Old Saying...

"If You Don't Like something at the Circus. Don't Yell at the Clowns. Yell at the Ringleader."

emma.grainger@lancet.com
If dear emma and the review board allow this type ill-informed and dangerous research to pass into a "respected medical journal" without challenge, speaks volumes about the ethics involved

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
statistics.jpg

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This came up before, here. These CNN "ireports" are test runs to see if there's enough support for CNN to want to go with them. When this one first appeared, they were asking people to vote on it, which is how it works. It looks like this one did not make the cut:

Strange way to do journalism (if it even can be called journalism).

Here's an archived snapshot of how the page originally appeared:

Want to Quit Smoking? Studies Suggest Vaping Daily Is Best Way to Kick the Habit for Good
What do you think of this story?
Select one of the options below. Your feedback will help tell CNN producers what to do with this iReport. If you'd like, you can explain your choice in the comments below.
And the choices:
-Awesome!
-Put this on TV!
-Almost!
-Needs work.
-This submission violates iReport's community guidelines
BTW, this story was submitted by a freelance writer:

Editor2112
Biography
Paul Fitzgerald is a freelance writer. His work appears in a large number of newspapers and magazines around the world. He is also the President and CEO of salt & Pepper Media Inc, a global public relations firm

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
The only way I can see to make sense of Glantz's argument is if he truly views vaping to be the same as smoking. If so, then what he's really balking about is that people aren't putting down the vape 12 weeks or so after the last cigarette.
The only way to ever make sense of Glantz's arguments is to recognize he is constantly searching for new holes in vaping's "armor". He is looking for anything and everything to attack vaping and keep negative headlines in the news.

I've never been much of a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to think Glantz and all of the prohibitionists are truly evil. They tricked me into continuing smoking for a long time, and many current smokers are still paying the price for these lies.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
For 28% more non-vape users to quit, at least 28% would need to quit. ANY study with a >28% quit success rate should be big news by itself, from what I know about such things.
Agreed. To state that vaping makes it harder to quit smoking is so absurd on so many levels. It is clear that Glantz and his like are not objectively looking at the facts. They are only propaganda machines, and damn good ones at that.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
"The editor of Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Emma Grainger, defends the article too. She says she does not see a problem with the paper and that it has been through the normal peer-review process."

In other words, if you can get a couple of like minded propagandists to agree with your junk science, it's all good...

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I may be misinterpreting the 28% number. It costs to read the actual article. It might mean that, e.g., 10% non-vapers quit and 7.2% (28% less) of vapers quit. But then, I might not be quit in his definition, because I know that one cig is not a threat to my almost-exclusive vape habit. But then I don't see how I would have quit smoking, by most definitions, either.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    An Individual can Contribute or Support to any Political Cause or Candidate they choose.

And it would seem Only Natural that I would Consider making a Contribution to a Political Party, Candidate or Cause that would support the Direction/Funding that I believe would help the University, College or School where I am Employed.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I'm sure if he has the title of professor he is tenured, can't lose his job so he can be as outrageous as he likes. I have not seen Mr Glantz latest survey but I can imagine how the 28% number can end up being a deception. I imagine he counts anyone who tried an ecig once or twice, and didn't stop smoking as someone being influenced to keep smoking by trying ecigs. That conclusion does not follow from that observation. Another part of the deception is that quitting is not the issue. Relapse is the issue. As we all know ecigs protect against relapse. Quitting is a hollow victory if you start smoking again. One of my relapses came after 10 YEARS! It was less stressful when I went to zero cigs from dual use because I knew a relapse would be to 5 cigs, not 25.

I don't consider dual use a failure. Mr Glantz would count that as ecigs keeping some one smoking. The day I started zero cigs, after 6 weeks of dual use just happened to be the day an inlaw died after a long illness and I had some days off tending to family matters. A few months later one of my brothers, a dual user for 9 months, stopped smoking when he had to spend a weekend dealing with a death in the family situation. Hmmm, must have been a coincidence. Regardless, when that moment comes that's the right time to quit it's going to be a lot easier if you're cigs are down to a few a day and you're vaping.

I went to college. I had professors who were trapped by the garrenteed paycheck and had a chip on their shoulder and abused their students instead of inspiring them. I think he's more interested in mischief than science.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DC2

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    The article cited in OP is actually a good read, and not even (that) poorly titled.

I found these nuggets very interesting:

But while the conclusion is surprising, so is the number of academics who have criticised the paper.

One was Ann McNeill, professor of tobacco addiction at Kings College London, whose own research is included in Glantz's analysis.

"This review is not scientific," she wrote on the Science Media Centre website.

"The information… about two studies that I co-authored is either inaccurate or misleading… I believe the findings should therefore be dismissed.

and

Another point is that the studies vary in the way they measure how often people use e-cigarettes. "Some only assessed whether a person had ever tried an e-cigarette or if they had tried one recently, not whether they were using it regularly or frequently," Bauld says.

Even while I know this is the usual deception by glANTZ, I think it barely even matters. It's a recreational device/activity, not (foremost) a pharmaceutical one.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread