Official ProVari Radius Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Bad officiating was only one of three things that caused Carolina to lose. The turnovers and penalties had as much to do with it as the officiating. As for the turnovers....Cam got the ball stripped by Von Miller. He saw him coming and didn't secure the ball. Cam is 6'5", 250 pounds and as strong as King Kong. No one has ever stripped the ball from Cam. He just didn't secure it. Fault: Cam. The Mike Tolbert fumble is odd too. He's a 250 pound wrecking ball made of pure violence and he let a boney little cornerback knock it out of his breadbasket. Again, ball securing 101. Fault: Tolbert. The INT Cam threw went right through the arms of Ted Ginn. He should of caught it for starters but made it even worse by not even knocking it down. Fault: Ginn. The 4th turnover I give Von Miller full credit. He came from behind Cam and knocked the ball out of his hand. Cam had no way of seeing him. Tip of the cap to Von Miller. As for the officiating. there were three critical calls/non calls that were killer. One was the Cotchery catch that was ruled incomplete. That was a clear catch and the replay proved it. No one said it wasn't a catch except the bonehead zebra who can't see straight. So instead of first down on the 38 it went back to the 12 yard line and two plays later is when Cam fumbled in his own endzone. That made it 10 - 0 and as far as I was concerned was the biggest part of the game. The second bad call (actually a non call) was when Gano doinked his field goal attempt off the upright. Talib was five feet offsides but no call. Had he been called, it would have given the Panthers a first down on the Bronco 20. Potential of 7 points turned into zero points. The third non call was when I believe it was Philly Brown caught a pass for a first down inside the Bronco 10 while Roby (the defender) had his arms wrapped around his body well before the ball got to him. An obvious interference that they let go (and duly noted in the analysis of many). Panthers had to settle for a field goal instead of a first and goal.

All that said, the officials were only one of three reasons why Carolina lost. The other two were totally Carolina's fault...turnovers and penalties (12 of them for 102 yards including three personal fouls and 6 false starts). To me, this was far more a Carolina loss than a Denver win. It doesn't come easy for me to say because I'm a Panther fan but I call it the way I see it.

I am not counting the Talib "neutral zone infraction" because I saw no replay that definitively showed he was actually off sides and didn't just get a better start. The other two were the two I mentioned. One bad call, one shoulda called, but then, they also didn't call unsportsmanlike on a throat punch thrown by a Car. player....things will get missed. Cam played so poorly, because he was effectively shut down and got flustered. He just isn't used to playing against that level of defense....Denver isn't #1 in the league in defense for nothing ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I am not counting the Talib "neutral zone infraction" because I saw no replay that definitively showed he was actually off sides and didn't just get a better start. The other two were the two I mentioned. One bad call, one shoulda called, but then, they also didn't call unsportsmanlike on a throat punch thrown by a Car. player....things will get missed. Cam played so poorly, because he was effectively shut down and got flustered. He just isn't used to playing against that level of defense....Denver isn't #1 in the league in defense for nothing ;)
It wasn't a neutral zone infraction. Far from it. They came out of the commercial break and showed the offsides by Talib. Phil Simms made note of it. The replay showed he was clearly offsides by five feet without any shadow of a doubt. Wasn't even close and likely affected the kick too as he was way offsides and I'm sure Gano saw him out of the corner of his eye. Not only did Gano miss but we didn't get the call for the fist down. As for throat punching and the like that stuff goes on by both sides throughout the game as you allude. Carolina was flagged three times for personal fouls. Denver was flagged once or twice for personal fouls. I give Denver props for a great defense, no doubt. They had the best defense throughout the year. And it weighed heavily on that game. But the game was still very winnable for Carolina but they shot themselves in the foot one too many times. Denver won so they get all the headlines, but the stats show Carolina's defense was even better. But you wont hear that because the team lost.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Zombo

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Bad officiating...

My uncle got sick from officiate...just sayin'. :facepalm:

Anyway, for those having a problem with their radius rings getting stuck on their attys, I think I stumbled on a solution. It happened to me a couple of times and I used the tried and true methods of running under hot water, freezing, rubber gloves, etc. However, the last time it happened it was so bad that nothing worked. In desperation, I tried something that was completely counter-intuitive...please use this at your own risk...

I screwed the tank/ring combo back onto my Radius and tightened them as hard as I could on the mod. I then began to unscrew it off and the tank came off but the ring stayed on the Radius! :rickroll:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
It wasn't a neutral zone infraction. Far from it. They came out of the commercial break and showed the offsides by Talib. Phil Simms made note of it. The replay showed he was clearly offsides by five feet without any shadow of a doubt. Wasn't even close and likely affected the kick too as he was way offsides and I'm sure Gano saw him out of the corner of his eye. Not only did Gano miss but we didn't get the call for the fist down. As for throat punching and the like that stuff goes on by both sides throughout the game as you allude. Carolina was flagged three times for personal fouls. Denver was flagged once or twice for personal fouls. I give Denver props for a great defense, no doubt. They had the best defense throughout the year. And it weighed heavily on that game. But the game was still very winnable for Carolina but they shot themselves in the foot one too many times. Denver won so they get all the headlines, but the stats show Carolina's defense was even better. But you wont hear that because the team lost.

I am trying to say you are wrong about the defense being even better because of the "stats"
denver is not a really strong team offensively, and just looking at the numbers doesn't reflect that.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
But, the top statistic --- the score. ;)

Carry on.....just having fun with ya.
girl_yes3[1].gif

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The point I'm trying to make is Carolina lost more than Denver won. It changes nothing in the outcome. It pains me to hammer my own team. But I'm being honest about it. They played real tight and it lowered their game. Six false start penalties? They never do that. So on six of their possessions they had to go 15 yards for a first down. They were one of the least penalized teams all year. That kills! 12 penalties in all for 102 yards? That's more than half of Denver's total offense! All self inflicted. Three of their four turnovers were self inflicted. Two which directly resulted in Denver's only two touchdowns. They had the best turnover ratio in the NFL. They don't fumble and get stripped because they protect the ball. Not last night. You just can't beat a good team with those kinds of numbers. And I'll say it again...the refs sucked bad, real bad. But that wasn't the only reason Carolina lost. They did plenty of their own sucking as well.

skamaria

Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
United States
If you look at the stats the Panthers defense played better than Denver's defense. 315 yards to 194 for Denver. 21 first downs to 11 for Denver. Least amount of offense by the winning team in Superbowl history. The game was decided by turnovers, penalties, and some bad officiating.
Those stats indicate a Denver offense that was not very productive, that is true. The better stats to judge the actual performance of the defense (rather than the lack of performance of the offense) is things likes sacks, hits, hurries, run stop percentage, tackles for losses, etc. I don't think Carolina defensively measured up in the stats in these meaningful areas against Denver.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Those stats indicate a Denver offense that was not very productive, that is true. The better stats to judge the actual performance of the defense (rather than the lack of performance of the offense) is things likes sacks, hits, hurries, run stop percentage, tackles for losses, etc. I don't think Carolina defensively measured up in the stats in these meaningful areas against Denver.
Well, can't totally agree with that but I think the most important stat is turnovers. Win the TO battle and your chances of winning go up dramatically.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Well, can't totally agree with that but I think the most important stat is turnovers. Win the TO battle and your chances of winning go up dramatically.
Criminey, are you guys still arguing? This has been going on longer than the game did. Sheesh.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh

Enta

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2015

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
this is the point I was trying to make, thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread