Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My experience differs from using a Kanger tank. Currently, using a Velocity V2 style deck. At present, I've two parallel 28 awg Kanthal coils on this deck, vertical. Each coil is running ~ 0.6 ohms, so with 2 I'm netting ~ 1.2 ohms. ...

Something Aint Right here with the Numbers.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
I could be wrong but if two are reading 1.2 Ohm I thought that ment they were each 2.4 Ohm. making a .6 Ohm with 28 AWG is like 3/4 wraps.

I might be wrong too but if so it's from what Steam Engine site conveyed. A parallel 28 awg wrapped 5 times around a 3 mm mandrel places the coil as reading ~ .6 ohm. If I use two coils then, both at ~ .6 ohm is that not ~ 1.2 ohm?

Kanthal A1 Round, twisted/parallel

Twist pitch: 0 (Did not twist)

Strands: 2

Diameter of wire: 28 awg

Single coil

Target resistance: 0.60

Inner Diameter of coil: 3 mm

Number of wraps 5.41
Rounded to Full wraps: 5 (0.56 ohm)
Half wraps 6/5 (0.61 ohm)

I used two coils each built accordingly. Add two together I get around 1.20 ohm.

My processing of it might be incorrect, but this is what I was taught of it. Not shirking my responsibility to know better, yet if someone teaches it wrong then it mucks up everyone too.

Grabbing a calculator and averaging, I get .589 per each coil. So I round to .59 * 2 = 1.18 and to me that's close enough to round to 1.2. If I am doing it incorrectly please explain to me how to do it correctly.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I might be wrong too but if so it's from what Steam Engine site conveyed. A parallel 28 awg wrapped 5 times around a 3 mm mandrel places the coil as reading ~ .6 ohm. If I use two coils then, both at ~ .6 ohm is that not ~ 1.2 ohm?

If you are Running in Parallel, then Two .6 Ohms Coils would give you .3 Ohms.

Forget the Math and the Website Calculators for a second.

Look at your Velocity Deck with One Coil on it. Now think of what happens when you push the Power Button. The Electrons come charging out of your Battery, wind there way to the Positive Post, then run into a Restriction. And that Restriction is the Coil.

Now Say you Add a Second Coil. Power Button Down, Electrons on the move, they hit the Positive Post and they say... "Cool. A Lot Less Restriction this time. In fact, there is 1/2 the Restriction as last time. We can just Split Up and go down Both Coils."

The Same thing happens when you use a Thicker Wire with the same amount of Wraps. You provided a Path that has Less Resistance for the Electrons to flow thru.

Go back to the Steam Engine site and under the "Setup" Drop Down Box, select Dual Coil. Now put in 1.2 as your Target Resistance.

See how it says "In a multi coil setup, all coils must be identical. Two coils in parallel. Total resistance is halved. (1⁄2 R)"

And to the Right of the Wraps, it say (roughly) 2.4 Ohms. That is the Ohms Per Coil.

Building to .3 Ohms is Fine for a Regulated Mod. But it doesn't sound like you are using a Regulated Mod. Because the Screen would have Shown that your Dual Coil build was around .3 Ohms.

And on a Mech, .3 Ohms is getting down to the Limit of what a Single 20A CDR Battery can Reliably do.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
If you are Running in Parallel, then Two .6 Ohms Coils would give you .3 Ohms.

Forget the Math and the Website Calculators for a second.

Look at your Velocity Deck with One Coil on it. Now think of what happens when you push the Power Button. The Electrons come charging out of your Battery, wind there way to the Positive Post, then run into a Restriction. And that Restriction is the Coil.

Now Say you Add a Second Coil. Power Button Down, Electrons on the move, they hit the Positive Post and they say... "Cool. A Lot Less Restriction this time. In fact, there is 1/2 the Restriction as last time. We can just Split Up and go down Both Coils."

The Same thing happens when you use a Thicker Wire with the same amount of Wraps. You provided a Path that has Less Resistance for the Electrons to flow thru.

Go back to the Steam Engine site and under the "Setup" Drop Down Box, select Dual Coil. Now put in 1.2 as your Target Resistance.

See how it says "In a multi coil setup, all coils must be identical. Two coils in parallel. Total resistance is halved. (1⁄2 R)"

And to the Right of the Wraps, it say (roughly) 2.4 Ohms. That is the Ohms Per Coil.

Building to .3 Ohms is Fine for a Regulated Mod. But it doesn't sound like you are using a Regulated Mod. Because the Screen would have Shown that your Dual Coil build was around .3 Ohms.

And on a Mech, .3 Ohms is getting down to the Limit of what a Single 20A CDR Battery can Reliably do.

So then you're saying if the two coils are each at ~ .6 I would need divide each by two due to less resistance. Alright, fine but you then say that the two(2) together then equal ~.3.

Which if I understand your first point correctly, you're saying one(1) parallel is .3. Got it, I divide the resistance for parallel coils, had not considered that. Now, I will.

Yet you end up saying two(2) together are .3. If I'm adding (2) .3 coils together do I not get .6? Each coil itself is still .3, yes, but 2 together is not .3.

And you're correct, I'm using a mech. Not attempting to be argumentative, or having an attitude. I'm trying to understand. It seems even reading your explanation is a little confusing, though I think I understand it.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So then you're saying if the two coils are each at ~ .6 I would need divide each by two due to less resistance. Alright, fine but you then say that the two(2) together then equal ~.3. Which if I understand your first point correctly, you're saying one(1) parallel is .3, yet you end up saying two(2) together are .3. If I'm adding (2) .3 coils together do I not get .6? Each coil itself is still .3, yes, but 2 together is not .3. And you're correct, I'm using a mech.

If you are Building in Parallel, and Both Coils have the Same Ohms, then the Total Resistance (in Ohms) with be 1/2 of Each Coil.

So if you put Two .6 Ohms coils in Parallel, the Total Resistance of the Build is .3 Ohms.

This is what the Steam Engine site is saying under Target Resistance when you select "Dual Coil".

"Set the desired total coil resistance for your build. The calculator will tell you the length of each resistance wire, and the resistance of each coil."

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
If you are Building in Parallel, and Both Coils have the Same Ohms, then the Total Resistance (in Ohms) with be 1/2 of Each Coil.

So if you put Two .6 Ohms coils in Parallel, the Total Resistance of the Build is .3 Ohms.

This is what the Steam Engine site is saying under Target Resistance when you select "Dual Coil".

"Set the desired total coil resistance for your build. The calculator will tell you the length of each resistance wire, and the resistance of each coil."

But what I did was select Single coil and then aimed to get each coil at ~.6 ohm. Yes, the site allowed me to do that. Now, from what you explain I understand each coil being parallel is halved in resistance. That means each coil(1) coil, is ~.3 ohms.

I have two(2) identical, or as identical as I could make them, coils on the deck. Both accordingly to your explanation are each respectively ~.3 ohms. If I have (2) does that not then net my resistance at ~.6?

Maybe the word parallel is tripping one, or both of us up. My meaning in this case is each coil is two strands of wire held together in parallel, then wrapped around the mandrel. If there's another meaning, please advise. I made each coil toward the .6 ohm target.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But what I did was select Single coil and then aimed to get each coil at ~.6 ohm. Yes, the site allowed me to do that. Now, from what you explain I understand each coil being parallel is halved in resistance. That means each coil(1) coil, is ~.3 ohms.

I have two(2) identical, or as identical as I could make them, coils on the deck. Both accordingly to your explanation are each respectively ~.3 ohms. If I have (2) does that not then net my resistance at ~.6?

Ya know what I think the Best thing to do is?

And that is to Measure the Ohms of your Dual Coil Build on someone Else's Regulated Mod next time you have a Chance.

I've been up since about 5:30, and I can't think of another way to Explain this to you. Maybe hearing it from someone else would be a Good Idea.

On a 75w mod, you probably want to stick to 26g or higher. 24 would be ok, but keep the wrap number low, like 3-5. That said, you can build some pretty wicked coils with 26ga and some 28,30 and 0.5x0.1mm flat kanthal. Your minimum resistance is 0.1 ohm. So I would shoot for 0.2 to 0.14 which allows a little wiggle room, after all if the build is below 0.1 you just wasted a bunch of wire. Remember.. dual coils = resistance divided by 2. SO 2 coils, 0.24ohm each = 0.12ohm total

Reactions: PaulBHC

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Don't complicate things by trying to do two seperate single coils in Steamengine and then trying to muddle it out - just choose 'parallel' and let the app do the maths.

The resistance is *definitely* halved when using coils in parallel in a device.

The resistance is also halved when wrapping twisted or parallel single coils.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada

Kanthal A1 Round, twisted/parallel

Twist pitch: 0 (Did not twist)

Strands: 2

Diameter of wire: 28 awg

Single coil

Target resistance: 0.60

Inner Diameter of coil: 3 mm

Number of wraps 5.41
Rounded to Full wraps: 5 (0.56 ohm)
Half wraps 6/5 (0.61 ohm)

I used two coils each built accordingly. Add two together I get around 1.20 ohm.

My processing of it might be incorrect, but this is what I was taught of it. Not shirking my responsibility to know better, yet if someone teaches it wrong then it mucks up everyone too.

Grabbing a calculator and averaging, I get .589 per each coil. So I round to .59 * 2 = 1.18 and to me that's close enough to round to 1.2. If I am doing it incorrectly please explain to me how to do it correctly.
Think of it this way. Thicker wire has less resistance, Two 28GA at the point of contact would be twice as thick not half as thick.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
And any further coil that you add will do the same end result of lowering the resistance of the coils working together in unison.
Say you have built 4 each 1ohm coil, and you have a RDA that will allow a 4 coil build- like a Wismec Inde Duo, your total resistance is 0.25ohm after build is finished.

1ohm divided by 4= 0.25ohm

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
At present, I've two parallel 28 awg Kanthal coils on this deck, vertical. Each coil is running ~ 0.6 ohms, so with 2 I'm netting ~ 1.2 ohms.
Somethings amiss here. :unsure:

Two o.6 ohm coils together results in 0.3 ohms total.

Or, two 1.2 ohm coils together results in 0.6 ohms total.

Reactions: Steven Pye

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
Each coil is running ~ 0.6 ohms, so with 2 I'm netting ~ 1.2 ohms.

Somethings amiss here. :unsure:

Two o.6 ohm coils together results in 0.3 ohms total.

Or, two 1.2 ohm coils together results in 0.6 ohms total.
Can see what has happened here. He has got his resistance figures back to front. Swap 0.6 and 1.2 ohms round and it makes sense.

oops :D

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
Reactions: MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
Had a cheap one. It busted. Planning to buy one that is more durable ASAP. Thank you though for pointing to a cheap one.

no problem--- for a more durable one the 521 Tab is supposed to be the cat's meow- it even fires the coils for you. I do not own one myself (It is on my wish list) but I have read several articles and 1st person uses and everyone says they love it

CoilMaster 521 Tab Ohm Meter Coil RBA Deck

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Can see what has happened here. He has got his resistance figures back to front. Swap 0.6 and 1.2 ohms round and it makes sense.

oops :D

That's it in a way. I got confused with the maths & also not knowing to half a parallel coil resistance. Think I better understand now, though. Swapped the dual parallel coils for a single stranded 28 awg at 5 wraps around 3 mm. Steam Engine suggests this would give me a single coil that runs 1.10 - 1.20 ohms. Hopeful that is correct and on par with being more safe.

Until I may get the ohm meter, need to rely upon a guide. Dislike doing that yet not sure I am granted much else choice wise. The fixed income stipend I get is lacking funds presently. Not capable of even affording a cheap ohm meter. Will have funds though soon enough & plan to get a durable meter. I was getting a few other items ahead due in part to the great "impending doom". Ergo, ran short when the crappy ohm meter I had finally went kaput.

Also striving toward generating more income. Still one needs to wait upon others to purchase stories. Even if you produce a good there is still a guarantee, you need to wait on others. Discussed this with my wife. My view, I have to run along behind someone to pick up scraps it seems. Thought creating a product would help eliminate that yet it only makes that chasm the more clear. Yes, I'm an impatient person. Yes, I do try being more patient. I'm still nowhere near being a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread