Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello ecf!
So this is my first post on these forums and i really your help people. So the problem ive been having is that on my kayfun using 50/50 12mg juice the throat hit is just a tad too much so is it possible to reduce the throat hit a bit with taking the same juice with the same strength but with more VG?
Hi and welcome,

Please tell us a bit more about your KFun, how it is coiled and wicked and how you power it.

Cheers
I

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
I would love to know how one gets TH at 12mg, i don't get any, not even a hint.
Does it pertain to the kayfun design?

Also, isn't one able to build whatever resistance they want in their kayfun?
So to the OP, yes, what resistance, configuration etc.
Also, yes, lowering to 9mg in the exact same setup where 12 is too harsh, should solve it for you (cause you said just a tad too much TH at 12).

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Also, isn't one able to build whatever resistance they want in their kayfun?

I'd advise keeping Kayfun builds above 1.0ohm. They have a mighty tight airflow for subohm coils. I got a 1.2ohm 28 gauge build and if I don't pull on it fast enough, soon enough it gets a hot taste. The Kayfun was the reason I had to drop my nic from 18 in protanks to 12 so vaping 12 was no problem for me. There is a big difference in 50/50 juice and 60/40 juice for smoother hits with lower ohm coils. I vape my wife's 50/50 1.6ohm build and get a way more of a throat hit than my much lower ohm builds with 60/40 juice. There is for me no way I can vape 50/50 in my subtank mini's without receiving a throat hit and probably eventually a sore throat.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks for the links @Vesh but I steer clear of TH unless I could block the Web Addresses...... :shock:
well the thing is, you can also buy specifically tuned nic there NOT to have TH :) But rather to be as smooth as possible. Even if the OP is using 12mg branded juice, he could just put a quarter plain VG and turn it into 9mg.. i think that would still keep the flavour ok ish.

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
I'd advise keeping Kayfun builds above 1.0ohm. They have a mighty tight airflow for subohm coils. I got a 1.2ohm 28 gauge build and if I don't pull on it fast enough, soon enough it gets a hot taste. The Kayfun was the reason I had to drop my nic from 18 in protanks to 12 so vaping 12 was no problem for me. There is a big difference in 50/50 juice and 60/40 juice for smoother hits with lower ohm coils. I vape my wife's 50/50 1.6ohm build and get a way more of a throat hit than my much lower ohm builds with 60/40 juice. There is for me no way I can vape 50/50 in my subtank mini's without receiving a throat hit and probably eventually a sore throat.
interesting info, thank you.
The resistance isn't really what determines whether you can use high nic safely though, it's the airflow design of the coil and tank of course. As i said in other topics, i use even 36mg just fine in 0.3 nautilus temperature coils, which are 100% only MTL design. New nautilus 0.7 ohm coils are MTL, as are joyetech 0.6 ohm SS coils.
What you say is probably 100% accurate for a kayfun, but i hope you don't mind me adding the extra information that it IS possible to make fantastic MTL coils at very low ohms, that are suitable for high nic and TH.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
i use even 36mg just fine in 0.3 nautilus temperature coils

Using any other wire other than Kanthal is out of my realm, so I have almost no knowledge of temperature controlling the different wires. There are too many variables in other wires for me to want to worry if my settings are correct or what could be dangerous to inhale if the wrong setting are used.

i hope you don't mind me adding the extra information

There is absolutely no problem with adding to any information. If it helps someone else then we were successful, its why we partake in forums so our experiences can be shared to help someone like we were helped when we didn't know something.:thumb:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I went through a brief phase of micro or contact coils, they aren't my preference. I like the spaced coils. This is my opinion...your trying to make juice vaporize, the more juice that contacts the coil the better, so how can a coil that has no spaces and tightened together vaporize juice efficiently? Many love them and swear by micro coils. Even the slightest space allows juice through and I think spaced coils are more efficient.
My bite at the apple on why your getting harsh hits after a few vapes is that your prolly using cotton and it expands in the coil once it gets wet. Your cotton is a bit tight in the coil so as it sits its absorbing the juice, take a few hits and the cotton is being choked by the coil, no juice is getting into the coil thus drying out and getting harsh then eventually burn. Micro coils get hotter faster than spaced coils is could also be some of the harshness, so maybe tone down the power, maybe not pulling fast enough or too fast at the right time so your inhaling coil heat, again too much power along with tighter airflow in a kayfun. Some of my kayfuns have a air control screw, remove the screw to increase airflow.
Try rayon instead of cotton to wick with. Rayon doesn't expand like cotton(it shrinks a little) so it needs to be a lot tighter in the coil and is IMO a better material than cotton. Great thread on Rayon in here if your wanting to research some before trying, well worth a read and trying it out. I've been using rayon since I discovered it kicks the crap out of cotton.

Reactions: Izan

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
Ive also been wondering that if spaced coil would decrease throat hit ans ive noticed a weird thing when vaping on the kayfun especially the 12 nic when i take some hits and then set my vape away for a couple of mins and start vaping again its quite smooth then it becomes a bit too harsh again
That happens even with super strong nic and the best MTL coils.. after a couple puffs the throat hit just fades, which didn't happen with analogs.. Then you only get it back after a vape rest. it's like the throat sort of becomes numb to it.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I'm still messing around with the Kayfun V3 mini (FT clone, not authentic). I'm running a 1.8 ohm Kanthal coil (30 ga.) at 2.5 mm diameter. I don't remember exactly how high it is above the air inlet, but your 1.5 mm sounds about right. I have the air flow on the V3 pretty tight and the juice control open a little over 1 turn. My juice is DIY Hangsen Highway 50/50. I'm getting some throat hit, but not overwhelming. However, I'm only running at 7.5 watts on an IPV D2. That's around 3.8 volts or so. Kind of approximate since the D2 doesn't buck and with a fresh battery I'm running battery voltage regardless of the watt setting. Don't know if that helps, but since I'm currently vaping the same setup I figured I'd share my experience.

Edit - forgot to mention I'm wicking with rayon.
Edit2 - also forgot to mention my juice is also 12 mg. One of the reasons I replied to the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread