RDA 454 atty. amazing RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharliesTheMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Louisiana
I also cut the bottom of the dt, its now my favorite dt. I've found horizontal coils to work best for me, though verts do work well, I've been doing a dual 360 flow build with 24g at .2 to.3 ohms, using iteo wicking for my usual all day setup and a tri coil between .08 and. 15 for cloud chasing. I like quads on this thing a lot but I notice I get a little better vape with duals or tris and my battery lasts longer, I think the reason it performs better with duals for me is due to wicking. It is difficult to get a perfect wick setup with quad horizontal coils at larger Guage wire. I have done every build I know of on this thing so far and after having it for a few months now I can confidently say this rda is my absolute favorite.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Man I've read all the way since your swastacoil post, it was great to see your post where you pulled the trigger and hoped it was nice after the last let down, all the way up to now through being happy with it, then flourishing with your beautiful builds. I'm really glad it worked out for you, and appreciate all the info you've posted. I'm loving this atty myself.

Does anyone happen to know where I can find this image in fullsize, big_block_small.jpg

Edit: replaced link with screenshot, I think the link might be against the rules

Last edited:
Just built a quad coil for my big block that lights up quickly and evenly
Now if I could just open up all 4 air hole I would be all set, it seems that's not going to happen though
Finally got it! I had to stick a screwdriver in the holes from the inside of the barrel to adjust the airflow
I wish it had a sleeve around the outside for the airflow, maybe the next version will.
After all that I am loving it on my nemesis reading at .13. Hits like a champ and gives me more than my hex ohm with any build could

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RSZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Canada
Would it be possible to get a picture of your flat ribbon wire build, or would you happen to know where a pic is online of the 454 built with ribbon wire? I'm loving my big block and have a bunch of ribbon wire I need to put to use, but I'd like to see what a build looks like before I dig in.

I'm vaping my big block in dual coil on my hexohm. I like building with 26 guage also but I had to wrap 28 guage with duals and I'm still a touch on the low side with 2x 8 wraps of 28 guage. I'm about to rebuild it because I think I set my coils a little low in the atty which caused me to wick with a little less cotton than I would like to have.

I'm rambling but I was excited when I saw another hexohm big block fan. I saw the troubles you've had and I hope your experience gets better. I'm loving this combo, I have a Tobh, Tobh 2.5 and Plume Veil sitting on the sidelines because the big block is vaping so well with the tugboat on deck ready to vape. I keep two builds at all times.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
I'm loving mine. But I noticed mine has the Canadian maple leaf on the bottom and not the Kr. any thoughts?

Oh and not to sound uneducated but can someone tell me what iteo wicking is please?

Can't answer the first. But for iTeo wicking.

Tear off a thin layer of cotton from your cotton pad.

Wet the cotton layer with juice

Roll the cotton layer pretty densely to form a cylindrical shaped cotton wick.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Cool. Thanx Kiwi.

So I'm going to assume that it helps your cotton wick quicker/better?

Apparently it wicks a hell lot better for very high wattage vaping, and holds a ton of juice. Has a significantly longer break in time before the cottony taste goes away tho. I've only tried it a couple of times. Too much trouble for me

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
This one's definitely on my want list. I've been rocking a Magma on an IPV2, have the new Sigelei 100w coming in soon. I freaking love my Magma, and it looks like this one's just as versatile.

Also considering the Plume Veil; but concerned about those negative post air holes - seems like it's just designed to leak every time one drips. So, question: if anyone has the Magma, Plume Veil, and the 454, which of the three do you prefer?

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
I use a 5/64 bit
View attachment 362986

not too big not too small
I typically use a 2mm screwdriver for my coils, which is just a teensy bit (0.016mm) larger than 5/64.

Threw a pair of 2.4mm (slightly larger than 3/32) coils on my Magma, and not liking those coils as much - too much wicking material, feels like it's just holding a lot of excess liquid for no good reason. The 5/64 / 2mm diameter seems perfect - wicks extremely well with rayon, and doesn't take up too much space.

I'm used to mm measurements since I use these:
ba1ef596760a6ce9f5df099cbbd548b9.jpg

mantos

Aug 27, 2014
Greece
This one's definitely on my want list. I've been rocking a Magma on an IPV2, have the new Sigelei 100w coming in soon. I freaking love my Magma, and it looks like this one's just as versatile.

Also considering the Plume Veil; but concerned about those negative post air holes - seems like it's just designed to leak every time one drips. So, question: if anyone has the Magma, Plume Veil, and the 454, which of the three do you prefer?

I have all of the above rdas (1:1 clones ofc). I like all of them, really. But if i was about to keep one, it would be the magma.
The plume veil has great flavor & vapor production, but doesn't hold too much liquid. U have to drip more often comparing to the other ones.
454 has also nice flavor, but i think plume veil & magma are at least a lvl above on that.

The only minus i can find on my magma is the long 510. The draw is airy enough for me.
As for vapor production, (i don't cloudchase, but i use 80%vg/20%pg liquids) all of them are good enough for me.

Capacity: Magma> 454> Plume Veil
Flavor: Magma>= Plume Veil > 454
Clouds: Plume Veil > 454> Magma

That's the comparison for me!! I hope u can be helped.

The 454 is just a good all-round performer. It gives decent flavour and decent clouds and has a massive juice well. I haven't measured it out, but I think the capacity is actually bigger than the Magma. If not, it's very close between the two. The Magma's well is deeper, but the 454's is wider. The other thing that the 454 does better than the Plume Veil and the Magma is that it is less prone to leaking.

Bill3753

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
CT
Picked one of these up from my local B&M a few weeks ago and am really impressed. Have run single parallel coil, dual parallel coils, both in 28 ga. Most recent, built 24 gauge quad horizontal and now a 28 gauge quad vertical build 5 wraps each which came in at .25 ohms. I have to say, the quad vertical build is my favorite to date by far. Tons of flavor and clouds for days!

Atty looks great on my XXIX as well.

image.jpg

Anyone know a decent wide bore drip tip that will fit this bad boy? My go to derlin wide bore won't fit in the top cap, so I've been rocking the stock tip so far. Would really like a wide for it though.

Last edited:

nopoison

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Columbus, OH
Just picked up two of these (2 different clones). Only probably I can find with them is that they really prefer the stock DT as my normal drip tips are too loose.

I gave up on vertical coils on this guy for a time. Kept getting hot spots that wouldn't exist until after I wicked the device. Switching to horizontal coils fixed this for me

I tried dual and quad vertical builds and they were ok but this is my new fav 454 build - dual horizontal 26ga 10 wrap 3/32" .6 ohm @ 40 watts w/ rayon - clouds and flavor to die for!

454horizontal.jpg

thank goodness for this forum! I just decided I needed a dripper for testing juice mixes cause the tank thing is getting too weird for me soooooooo I just went and bought me a 454 Big Block style atty after doing zero homework, no clue how to build a coil, barely know what wicking is etc. etc. etc. LOL I know you all are going to get me through it :D

Wamo

Jun 30, 2013
Texas
I have mine on the stingray x with hybrid adapter...amazing vape

Thanks Jman. I've been using a VTR and SVD with iclear 30s and similar tanks the past year and a half and have a lot of catching up to do with RDA's. With my current setup I was only able to cut back on the analogs but not quit completely. Last I looked into RDA's was a purchase of IGO-W and IGO-L back early 2013 that I don't think I was able to really get coil building down at the time. I went to local vape shop and had them build a 1.0ohm coil, as that's about all the VTR can handle however it's helped me take better more fulfilling inhales killing my crave for analogs. A friend of mine loaned me a copper Nemi topped with a stillare for a day and was blown away how much better it was than my current setup. Thanks again!

WarbossChoppa

Nov 3, 2014
USA
thank goodness for this forum! I just decided I needed a dripper for testing juice mixes cause the tank thing is getting too weird for me soooooooo I just went and bought me a 454 Big Block style atty after doing zero homework, no clue how to build a coil, barely know what wicking is etc. etc. etc. LOL I know you all are going to get me through it :D

I just bought one as my first RDA ever and compared to some other ones it can be a bit crammed to work on the deck but once I started building dozens of coils to practice I learned all the tricks to this thing and I am very happy with my purchase.

I'm glad I got this bad boy authentic, now to find the right authentic mod to place it upon.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
Man I've read all the way since your swastacoil post, it was great to see your post where you pulled the trigger and hoped it was nice after the last let down, all the way up to now through being happy with it, then flourishing with your beautiful builds. I'm really glad it worked out for you, and appreciate all the info you've posted. I'm loving this atty myself.

Does anyone happen to know where I can find this image in fullsize, View attachment 372247

Edit: replaced link with screenshot, I think the link might be against the rules
Thanks man! I don't get on here very often. I work at a vape shop and I needed a break from vape talk. I still love the 454 I've been migrating toward box's and tanks for everyday use but I still use my 454 on a daily basis. Mainly Just to save on juice lol I don't own any of the newer rdas that have been coming out so I can't honestly compare it to newer stuff. I don't like clones, ill try the ones we get at my shop but I just try to be patient and save for something good. I have seriously used and abused my 454 for a long while now and it still works like the day I received it, that to me alone makes it more than worth the 65$ I spent on it.

It is really nice to here that someone is even just reading my post so thanks! !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread