A Beginner's Guide to Snuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Snusdog of snuson forum fame gave me permission to copy his guide to nasal snuff on this forum. I thought it was a good place to start for those interested in giving what I call "snus for the nose" a try. The original thread is here. A few of the links are not working but am posting as is. Hopefully that can be corrected in the future.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God made two kinds of dogs in this world. You are either a lap dog or a scent hound.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nasal Snuff. I hope you will find this Guide both helpful and informative. I have tried to pool together information and resources that I have collected over my time using snuff so that you can have them all in one place.

I. Types of Snuff
There are a gazillion different snuffs out there. Below is a breakdown of the major categories or types of snuff as well as a few representative examples of each class.

1. Plain Snuff- is unscented and relies on the expert blending of various types of tobacco for its flavor. Don’t let the name fool you there is nothing plain about this snuff. When done right plain snuffs offers some of the most complex, flavorful, and exquisite snuffs around. Examples:
Samuel Gawith Blue Crest
Dholakia Sparrow (Green)
Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown

2. Toasts- like the plain snuffs, toasts tend to be made from unscented tobacco (not always but usually). The difference is that here the tobacco has been toasted giving it a nutty and often times slightly smoky character. Toasts tend to be dry and finely ground and thus can be challenging to take. Challenging or not they are well worth the effort and represent some of the best snuffs around. Examples:
Fribourg & Treyer (F&T) High Dry Toast,
Wilsons Irish High Toast #22,
Toque Toast and Marmalade

3. SPs- SP stands for Spanish and harkens back to the way snuff first came to Europe. These snuffs tend to be flavored with Bergamot and/or other citrus flavors. They represent some of the most popular and skillful blends in the snuff world and are often a snuffer’s all day or go to snuff. Examples
Toque Original,
Wilsons Best SP,
Samuel Gawith No1 High Mill

4. Floral Snuff- are more typical of the French influence. These tend to be perfumed snuffs and feature blends of such scents as geranium, lavender, Rose, and Jasmine to name but a few. Examples
F&T Kendal Brown,
Toque Berwich Brown,
Wilsons Jockey Club

5. Dessert Snuff- dessert snuffs tend to be sweeter and flavored with everything from mint to chocolate to coffee. Examples:
Wilsons Crumbs of Comfort
Toque Peach
Wilsons Irish Coffee

6. Medicated Snuff- medicated snuffs use menthol and often eucalyptus in their blends. Examples:
McChrystals Original and Genuine
Hedges L260 The Snuff

7. Schmalzler- Schmalzler Snuffs are traditionally German snuffs made of fermented tobacco. Thus they tend to be very moist, coarsely ground, and rich in flavor. Often they smell like a Christmas desert from the old world. Examples:
Bernards Klostermischung
Bernards Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert

8. American Scotches- American Scotches tends to be dry, finely ground, and varying in degrees of smokiness and molasses undertones. American Scotches come in two basic varieties Sweet and Plain. Each of these shares the basic characteristics of American snuff with the sweet being sweeter and the plain being smokier and a bit harsher as a general rule. Examples:
Navy Sweet
Railroad Mills Plain
W.E. Garrett Plain

9. Everything Else- There are a whole host of outstanding snuffs that do not fit neatly into any one category. Some share characteristics with two or more groups. Others are in a class by themselves. A few outstanding examples of this group are:
Bon Bon
Prins Regent
Macuba
(all Molens De Kralingse- Dutch Windmill)
Toque Spanish Gem
Wilsons Best Dark

II. Methods
To get the snuff into your nose, you will need to develop a workable method. Method involves two parts: (a) controlling your breathing and (b) taking the snuff (pinch it, spoon it, thumb it, or take it off the back of the hand). The point is that you need to develop your snuff taking skills. I know of no better introduction than Snuffhouse’s Beginner’s Guide. Check it out: snuffhouse-guide.pdf

In the meantime there are a couple of basic things that you can do to get started

1. Get the right snuff. Snuffs that are dry and finely ground are not the best place to start. Packard’s Club snuff is amazingly easy to handle as are most Toque Snuffs. When buying, just read the reviews or ask.

2. Breathe right. Do not snort snuff, don’t even sniff it. Rather, relax and just smell it. Snuff is light and it will not take much to get it into your nose. Many folks find it helpful to take a full breath before they begin taking the snuff. Regardless, half the battle is remembering to SMELL and not SNORT

3. Right placement- you don’t want the snuff deep in your nose but rather closer to the front. Notice the space where you finger is when you pick your nose. That is where you want the snuff to go

4. Be patient- we all had those sneezing, eyes watering, and head blown off moments. It will take a little time, practice, and experimenting but you will get it down.

III. Storage
Because snuff is dry it has a extended shelf life (it will keep until gone with just moderate use). The moister the snuff the more care is needed. Also tap boxes may not keep snuff long term. The snuff I have in rotation I have on my desk. No special care is taken. Everything else I wrap in cellophane, Zip lock, put in a Tupperware container, and freeze. The main thing is to thaw it gradually in the refrigerator for a day and then bring it to room temperature before using it.

IV. Nose care
Do I need to take any special measures to clean my nose? No. I find a good hot shower in the morning is all that is required. However, some like to use a saline nasal spray especially during the winter when the nose tends to be dry. Others swear by something called a Netti pot but I don’t find it to be necessary at all.

V. Ammonia
The fresher the snuff the more it will smell of ammonia. This has to do with the way snuff is produced. Thus, if you get a new tin and it smells like cat piss don’t panic and don’t throw it a way. Instead, take the top off and let it air out, stirring it occasionally. This may take anywhere form an hour or two to a whole day.

VI. Resources
A] In addition to Snuson’s growing snuff section, there are a few on line sites that you will find indispensable.

1. Snuffhouse.org- a wonderful forum full of great folks and fantastic information. Many of our members take part there as well. Snuff House

2. Snuffreviews.com- a great resource to learn about various snuffs. The snuffs are listed by manufacturer. snuffreviews.com

B] Shops
1. Northener.com- Northerner has a wide range of nasal snuffs. Northerner. Buy Swedish Snus & American Snuff Online. The #1 Smokeless Tobacco Store Online!
2. Mr. Snuff- Wide selection. Great service www.mrsnuff.com.
3. Toque Snuff- Order directly from Toque and the shipping is free. Snuff Store | 55 Flavours Available | Toque Snuff
4. Molens- Old school, hand crafted snuff http://www.snuifmolens.nl/winkel/winkel_en.html
5. The Snuff store- Snuff | Buy Snuff Tobacco | Snuff Store
6. Buy Snuff- A decent selection and Samuel Gawith in Bulk Snuff Buy Snuff Tobacco Nasal Tobacco Online Retail Shop

I hope this Guide has been of some help. May your nose and lip be ever full.

Reactions: muslum baba

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Last edited:
Reactions: muslum baba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread