Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Do women start vaping at higher levels of nicotine than men do ?
Yes, I am a cranky old fart, but I don't consider myself a chauvinist. Please allow me to explain the reason for this thread:
Last winter my daughter (age 35) wanted to try vaping. We discussed flavors, and she said that she wanted to try tobacco flavors. So I mixed up five or six DIY using home made NETs, and ordered eight flavors from Heather's Heavenly Vapes. All of these were at 18mg nicotine. Within a week or two she was back to smoking full time.
Last week my son (age 38) asked me about vaping. So I mixed up five various DIY flavors and ordered seven more from HHV. Again, all were at 18mg nicotine, and my son loves it.
I related my helping my son on a couple of other threads, and out of eight or nine responses something stuck out at me;
Women seem to Start vaping at higher levels of nicotine!
Granted, this is based on a very small sample size. But did I do my daughter a disservice by starting her at too low a level of nicotine ?
So I am posting this thread to find out if women use stronger nicotine levels when starting out with vaping. This way, if my daughter does try vaping again, maybe I will be better prepared to help.
I'll go first: Male, started at 18mg of nicotine.
Any assistance / information would truly be appreciated in this matter.
Thanks, Papaw

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I started at 18-24 MG and lowered my level to 6MG and then to the current 3MG. It might be that men will chain vape because my sweetie gets annoyed at my clouds at times. Just a thought from what I experience personally and I know some of the ladies from the forums are chain vapers also.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Might just be the way some people vape. I've been making juice for Mrs Rule for years. It's a Menthol/Mint concoction that is the only thing she vapes, and she loves it. She has been vaping it at 15mg on a Kanger SubTank forever. She has expressed absolutely no desire to lower the nic, although I've mentioned it many times.
But she doesn't vape like I do. I vape almost constantly. She doesn't. She vapes like most people smoke. She'll take a couple drags, put it down, and might not pick it up again for a while. Then she'll repeat. Pick it up, take a few drags, put it down.
Meanwhile, I'm rarely without a mod in my hand, or at least within short reach, and I vape 6mg/ml.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
Me: Started on a crappy pen at 24mg, down to 18 and stepped all the way down to 6mg. Currently sub-ohm at 3mg.

The Mrs: Started at 18mg menthol. Still on Menthol at 6mg (but she didn't know that til I told her!).

Could it possibly be a psychology thing? My Mrs is quite happy with her 6mg menthol but still buys fags on nights on the sauce.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Though the years I'd say no, women haven't started at higher levels then men. In fact 6 years ago a poll might have found that men needed a bit higher level then woman, but not by much. Back then the recommended starting level was often 24 mg juice for everyone.

I suspect that today women's starting needs might be a bit higher then men but only because men seen to start subohming a bit sooner then some women do and therefore need less nic levels sooner because of their of their style of vaping.

I started at 20 mg and was at 3 mg 5 months later.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
Female. Started at 24 mg about four years ago. About a year and a half ago stepped down to 18. Started subohm a little over a year ago and went from 12 to 6. Started diy in May this year and went down to 3 but I do chain vape now with the lower levels whereas I didn't before. I have arthritis and I have noticed a significant decrease in inflammation with nic use so going without is not an option for me. I hope you are able to find something that works for your daughter...

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
female: started at 24 with a cig-a-like. Quickly moved on to better equipment and lower nic. was at 18 for a couple of years. Started lowering it as my body let me know it was time.

It could very well be that your daughter just wasn't ready yet and your son was. I was ready whereas my hubby wasn't. He vapes occasionally but mostly smokes. :( I have been smoke free for just over 5 years now.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
(snipped)
The Mrs: Started at 18mg menthol. Still on Menthol at 6mg (but she didn't know that til I told her!).

Could it possibly be a psychology thing? My Mrs is quite happy with her 6mg menthol but still buys fags on nights on the sauce.
I don't want to derail this thread but was just curious. Did she do that when she was still vaping 18mg?

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
Like Rule, I think nic needs are based on vaping style. I began tootie puffing at 18mg but now do long-slow-lung inhales at 3mg. And I always have a Reo of some sort in my hand. I'll vape 24mls most days. My wife did not like vaping and quit cigs basically cold turkey easily. I could not do that.

I have to say, since I started vaping, I've never had a nic fit like I'd get when I smoked Marlboro Lights.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I started vaping at 12mg, and haven't had a cigarette since. That was a little over two years ago. I have had a few 6mg bottles throughout that time frame. Now I am mainly buying 6mg bottles of juice. I will probably stay at 6mg for a long time. Oh, and I am a female.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Female, my first juice was 12mg but with subohm equipment I found it too strong - even though I was a heavy smoker. I'm at 6mg now and happy with it. Husband is a duel user, he vapes using 12mg when he's around me or the kids and smokes at other times.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Female, started with 24mg. Bought better equipment dropped down to 6mg, after a year. By the end of my first year vaping, I started making our juice. Now me and the hubs vape one flavor strawberries and cream @ 2mg.
Sometimes flavors aren't complete without a lil nic in them.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
My wife and I started together 4 1/2 years ago. Normal progression of cig-size, ego, box mods. Cartomizers, clearos, tanks.

I started a bit higher than her 24mg vs 18mg. I dropped faster, but she ended up lower. Now she is at 2mg while I'm stuck at 4mg.

She has never left her NET tobacco flavors. I've bounced around but ended with mostly unflavored.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
A male here, started at 24mg, went up to 30mg then 36mg for quite a while. Currently at about 10-12mg with my DIY.

The level of your liquid depends heavily on how much you use per day. Someone, male or female using 5mL of 10mg liquid is getting the same dose as one doing 10mL of 5mg. So if men are taking more and longer 'vape breaks' they are not actually ingesting more nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread