Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Don't worry, this thread won't last long ...
Six and a half years ago I started with 18mg nicotine Vendor Flavors, and was vaping 5- 6 ml per day on normal days, maybe more on long, hectic days (which do happen in the trucking industry)
Now.. I mostly DIY at 10mg of nicotine and vape maybe two or three ml / day.
I started vaping because I wanted to quit smoking, but I enjoyed the 'hobby' and the people here at the ECF. Notably the old REOville crowd, HHV 'The Big Thread' and the old Naturally Extracted Tobacco crowd.
But now I find myself slowing down considerably.
Where are you at with your vaping ? Are there any 'Old Timers' out there who are also vaping less ? or More?
How about the Younger Vapers ? Still vaping higher Nic and Volume, or are you finding you need to Vape less ?

I am just being curious ....

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I'm at the 4-5y mark in my vaping journey. Started at 24mg commercial juices and chain vaped; now I mix 8mg diy and my gear is completely different and some days I frequently chain vape and other days I may just take a few hits here and there. I most often vape pretty steady throughout the day with several hits an hour.

eandrews53

Mar 16, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I started vaping to quit smoking about 6 years ago, maybe close to 7. The older I get the faster time goes and it's harder to keep up. We, my wife and I, started with 24mg liquid from the corner vape/smoke shop but I quickly fell off the edge and became consumed with vaping as a hobby, being recently retired from civil engineering. It worked. We haven't smoked since and wouldn't even consider smoking a cigarette. Today we vape 3 and 6 mg vape fuel from a few select makers we've come to enjoy very much. Custards, baked goods and desert flavors trip our trigger. As far as quantity, probably like one of Mooch's battery curves. Some days are more intense than others. 3ml's being a heavy day making about 2-2.5mls an average day. I've really come to enjoy the people I've met along the way. Thanks for asking.

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
I'm a couple months from 5 years. My nic has decreased from 18 to <3. My time spent vaping has increased because I retired and have more time. Wattage has given way to TC. Clearos have been replaced by newer, better designed MTL tanks. I have a couple squonkers I enjoy. Recently acquired my first high wattage DL device which I am avidly playing with. Been doing DIY juice for a couple years.

So I'm all over the place, mostly seen driving in the left lane with my turn signal on for 5 miles.

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
Different perspective, I was a cigar smoker (expensive to cheap cigars), vaping at times "gets old", but I try and switch things up. I've always stayed at 3mg nicotine, but I used to consume liquid like crazy to supplement the nicotine in cigars. These days I've slowed down a bit and bottles of liquid are lasting a lot longer.

To switch things up I go from mod to mod in the collection but switch off from a standard RTA or RDA to a MTL setup. On MTL I find I use A LOT less liquid because in my subconscious, I'm vaping the same number of puffs. MTL uses a lot less juice and wattage.

Then there's times I go crazy and build something at 200+ watts to vape Jam Monster because it tastes amazing at high temps. I've got a pod mod too, if I feel like I'm in need of a lot of nicotine I hit that. 35+mg scratches the itch pretty quick.

I'm more in a run-and-maintain mode for nicotine now, but still exploring every corner of the vape world as a hobby. Most days I switch between three or four liquids. The only day I fear is cleaning day :thumbs:

I'm also an MMJ patient, I've noticed my vaping cut back considerably after that as well.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Newby here who enjoys the PapawBrett threads. I am an old schooler by nature yet enjoy new tech as I can figure it out.

A few years back I vaped what was available at my local tobacco store. Junk, but it helped me cut waaaaaaaaay back until it gave out. It was not the device, but the cartridges. Refillable hadn't been invented yet. Somebody told me they were 24ml strength. All I know was 2 puffs and I was good to go for an hour.

A few years later I returned. Again to cut back on smoking, not stop entirely. That was in July this year. Again I opted for a device from a tobacco store. Again I cut waaaaaay back. But this time it was because that device choked me so badly I could not smoke for an hour or two because my throat and lungs were still irratated.

I tried a refillable device. A Penguin. Better. It used an NET tobacco at 3ml strength. Yet a new hobby was born thanks to the plethora of options available. I spent afternoons in vape shops sampling flavors and evenings reading at vape sites. A Dolpin replaced the Penguin early on.

One day I tried a grape and liked it. But the Penguin was not the best at flavor satisfaction. The Dolphin was a bit too tight for me. I spent a few paychecks searching for the right device. Frustrated with leaks I was growing weary of this whole idea of vaping.

I flood air chambers with unspent juice as I take light drags. It was obvious after a while that it was not the fault of the devices. It was me. With each drag I saw leftover vape in the air chamber that always leads to a flooded, gurgley vape in time. If only they had a way to clean out the chamber of leftover steam like a water pipe has.

I discovered a refillable pod device that 'hits' just like my first e-cigs did those years back. A simple pluck of the pod unit and suck out the leftover every few drags and the flooding is all but gone. I'm a happy vaper now. It's reliable, lasts all day, which ends up being 2-3 days between charges and refills.

I had resolved to be tobacco free by Christmas, or at least down to a couple a day. I'm not there yet.

Regarding more or less, I've increased my nic to a 6 to avoid chain vaping like hot boxing a cigarette. My smoking is down and so is my vaping. Back in August I was staying all jacked up on nicotine from constantly puffing on a device or tobacco.

The hobby is still there, yet it's more of a passive thing than actual purchaser. No longer obcessed with finding that perfect experience, I now enjoy what I have.

I just took a few drags from a Dolphin loaded with that grape I experienced a few months ago. No wonder I got so caught up in the search for flavor. Good grief that thing was tastey.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm a toddler vaper - 11 months smoke free. Dropped my nicotine from 18mg to 15mg after 2 months, down to 12mg at month 3.

Stayed at 12mg since then (mtl). I still chainvape for 2 hours first thing, but less as the day progresses.

I've noticed the main change is I don't get that 'I need nicotine and I need it NOW' feeling anymore :thumb:.

Anise

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    I started vaping almost two years ago and my purpose was to cut back smoking. I vaped using an ego and 18mg of Nic. Two years later I got serious about vaping. I bought better gear (started with a Smok procolor oh my!) and switched to 6mg of Nic. I chain vaped like crazy but within a couple of months I was able to quit smoking.
    5 months later I mostly squonk altho I have a couple of dl mods set up. I also use a couple of pods for a quick nic hit. I don't chain vape anymore either. It may be interesting to see what happens to my vape habits in the next two years.

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Don't worry, this thread won't last long ...
    Six and a half years ago I started with 18mg nicotine Vendor Flavors, and was vaping 5- 6 ml per day on normal days, maybe more on long, hectic days (which do happen in the trucking industry)
    I started vaping because I wanted to quit smoking, but I enjoyed the 'hobby' and the people here at the ECF. Notably the old REOville crowd, HHV 'The Big Thread' and the old Naturally Extracted Tobacco crowd.
    Where are you at with your vaping ? Are there any 'Old Timers' out there who are also vaping less ? or More?
    How about the Younger Vapers ? Still vaping higher Nic and Volume, or are you finding you need to Vape less ?

I am just being curious ....
    I'm 30 days shy of my 10th vaping anniversary. It's been a bumpy road, I'm vaping less nic, more or less same volume. I started with 18 mg, went up to 24, went back smoking, back vaping at 16, and nowadays I'm vaping 12. I prefer more nic, less volume, at that I vape 240ml a month, sometimes less, sometimes I sneak a 10 pack of cigarrettes whenever I'm with a lot of stress or I can't find supplies. I love smoking, I vape because I must not smoke. But if someone tomorrow told me "you can smoke freely now" I would go back in a wink.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    There are probably not to many that have followed a similar path, so I consider myself kind of an oddball. Besides a few month go with cig a likes 8 years ago, I basically haven't changed much after that cig a like go. Over 7 years ago I started with a rebuildable genny and 24mg nic vaping a couple MLS a day and haven't done anything much different since. Instead of vaping rebuildable gennys, I now vape rebuildable rtas and instead of using mechs, I now use reg mods, but still vape 24mg and 2mls a day. I have also squonked and done some rdas, but always vaped mtl, low ml and hi nic and because that has always worked, i was never enticed to try or switch to dtl, high power, juice consumption .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    A bit over seven years here, vaping very close to the same as I did once I hit my mark, which was approximately six months into it (6.5ish years ago).

Started at 18mg, am currently at 15-18mg, and best guess has me consuming 5-7ml per day. Both level and consumption have remained fairly constant.

My goals haven't changed either though, which may play into it. I started vaping to not smoke, and that remains the only goal I have (related to vaping).

^ Subject to change, obviously. ^

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Am 3 days shy of 5 years... started at 24mg and down to 5ish. It's an easy number to calculate for DIY. I have not bought anything in a bunch of months, maybe 10-12. I just do low watt and rebuildables now. I really use vaping for the purpose of taking breaks and the minimal affect that the Nic gives. I vape 3-4ml on a weekday and 4-6ml on a weekend day. Things have been real stable. I was doing temp control for a month or two, but...meh.

I think I found my groove. :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Speeding up? Slowing down? Neither really. Five and half years in. After beating down the cravings, settled quickly into MTL mech/unregulated 1.5 ohm(ish) and 18mg(ish). A couple years later, I re-settled on MTL mech/unregulated 1.0 ohm(ish) and 10mg(ish) ... basically cruise control since then.

Not that I don't switch things up now and again, take a sight-seeing detour here and there, and swap vehicles when it suits me.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Started somewhere between 4 and 5 years with 50/50 and 18mg but generally never used more than 2-3 mls/day. Now VG only and zero nic and have some old DIY mixes with some PG that I liked to drip in a few drops in my VG only RDA's. I have fun adding one drop of old max VG/PG DIY mixes here and there. It helps me use up some of my mixes I thought I could never vape again. I MTL vape about the same but mostly VG only.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Started vaping in 2013 using 24mg liquids. Was going through 4-5ml per day. Gradually started decreasing the nicotine levels, but started getting into more RDA and RTAs and vaping at higher wattage settings. Around the time I started subohm vaping I was down to 3mg liquids, but probably going through 7-9ml per day. Eventually I stopped using nicotine entirely. Have been nicotine free for almost two years. Now I vape out of habit. Haven't stopped entirely, but since there is no more physical craving I can go half the day or more without touching my vape and not even noticing.

In fact the tank I'm vaping on now I filled at almost 24 hours ago, and I've only vaped about 1ml out of it.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    1yr 2months vaping, 1yr 1month tobacco free.
    Started up around 18 and 24mg and about 8-10ml a day.
    Now, 3mg to 6mg and about 1.5 to 2ml a day. Every 10 -14 days I go nic free for a couple of days.
    Pretty similar to @AngeNZ in that I do the bulk of my vaping in the first couple of hours of the morning. I dont vape in the afternoon from 3-4pm until about 10:30pm most days.
    I now no longer have any urgency for nicotine, there are no cravings during the times Im without it.
    I cant see vaping as a long term thing for me at this stage but will continue to explore it while it is still relevant and of use to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread