Tried sub-ohming and maybe it's not for me. Interested in your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNight

Verified Member
Sep 10, 2014
NY USA
My main go-to setups these days are Nautilus tanks (both sizes) with 1.8ohm BVC's on mini boxes like Eleaf iStick and Heatvape Defender, but since I got the Defender and it can go down to 0.5ohm with it's 25 watts I decided to give it a go.

So I recently purchased a 22mm Peakomizer 2 Mega tank with Aspire Atlantis 0.5ohm coil and just recently tried it out around 25 watts with my favorite 70/30 vanilla flavor juice.

Now maybe this is partly to do with the tank I bought but even on the tightest airflow setting I feel like it's just too much. It seems to kind of force me to do deep straight-to-lung hits and I'm just not into the experience. I like mouth-to-lung hits focused on flavor more than anything else and I don't typically inhale too deep, for more of a smooth creamy vape. But this experience was more like harsher throaty big airy inhale and I didn't dig it.

After literally just 30 minutes of checking it out I went right back to my Nautty's with 1.8 ohm BVC's between 7.5 to 10 watts and that's a happy place for me, so I'm probably going to sell the barely touched Peakomizer 2 tank and brand new Atlantis .5 coils (looking forward to getting access to Classifieds section here soon).

But still I'm interested in other vaper's thoughts on this. I'm curious to know if sub-ohming is mainly geared toward heavy lung hits and the airy experience I had or if there are ways to do it / certain gear to use so that it's a similar experience to what I'm used to.

As always, I'm just really curious to read the opinions and experiences of others. It helps me learn something new every day!

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
Sub-ohming uses more power, makes coils hotter, thereby necessitating more airflow to keep things from burning. I subohm in the .25-.4 ohm range and have plenty of airflow, else my wicks will burn and coil life will suffer. If you are happy with your Nautilus with the 1.8 ohm coils, stay with it! Subohm vaping definitely isn't for everyone. Stay with what you're happy with.

Sent by REO vapor

greenmonster714

Jan 10, 2015
Alabama
+1 on what @pwheeler said.

In addition, if you did not lower your nic level when using sub-ohm coils it's not surprising that your vape was harsh.

I agree with you guys. Sub ohming is not for everyone. Ya might add nicotine sickness if you don't drop the mg's to 6 or below. I messed up one time and loaded some 18mg into a subtank mini. After 3 hits on it I thought I was going to throw up. Then I realized what I had done...lol

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Stick with whatever you like.

Subohming generally involves direct lung inhaling once you get into the .5ohm range and lower. At .7-.9ohms, however, you can MTL inhale quite decently (being mindful of enough air to keep the wicks from burning, per above). I'm not sure of any prebuild coil units in that range, but using RBA's would let you build to that.

Above all, though, if you like your Nauti experience, cool beans.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
Thanks! Forgot to mention - I used only 6mg nic which I thought would be low enough.

I usually use 6 to 10 mg nicotine, depending on my mood when I am mixing but for in a dripper I cant use anything more than 3 mg. I will gag if I use more than that. My throat and lungs cant handle that much volume with the higher nicotine. But 3 mg is a very pleasant vape doing lung hits with a RDA.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Failing at a sub ohm attempt is not an indication you will not like it. It simply means you may not have had everything working together correctly.
You also do not need to jump straight to sub ohm vaping. Crawl then walk works better for some. I did and am happy with the results.
ProtankII - with aerotank base
Atlantis
Kanger Subtank
and others offer adjustable air flow as well as higher resistance coils. This allows you to adapt to changes at your own rate.

JHDublin

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Ireland
It does seem to work best with direct lung hits which took me a little to get used to, I usually make coils between 0.4 and 0.7 ohm and vape at 18.5 to 22 watts using 6mg juice.
I had gotten some juice where they had messed up the strenght and put 24mg in 6mg bottles, 2 big hits and I was flippin dizzy for the next 20 minutes.
I don't consider myself a cloud chaser or anything I just ended up using what I'm using because that's what satisfies the habit the best

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
You need lots of airflow to effectively vape at sub-ohm levels when using high watt settings.

My problem is that I don't like lots of airflow. And the reason I don't like a very 'airy' draw is because I am used to a tighter draw because of the many years I have smoking cigarettes and cigars.

I also don't like to lung hit because I never did that with cigarettes or cigars .... So, I now just make a single 1.8 ohm coil out of Kanthal 28 AWG wire and feed it between 10-11 watts.

That way I can set the air-draw to something that resembles a cigarette and get a nice cooler flavorful vape ... It's worked for me for 13 months now (not 1 cigarette)

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Like dripping or high wattage sub ohming is something a minority enjoy and shout loudly about so seems more populous then it is that and the fact us higher resistance lower wattage vapers are too chilled out vaping to make a fuss :vapor:. Not being negative towards any of the above they are different ways of getting the satisfaction that we all want and help make the community nice and diverse just sometimes it looks like it's the way people should be vaping. Find your spot once found turn off and be happy with it me I'm a low watt vaper my happy spot is 1-1.8 depending on tank I tried sub ohm and direct lung but not for me thanks but good job for those who benefit from it. Only thing that matters is staying off the analogs and getting the satisfaction from whatever setup to enable you to do that :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As already pointed out by the others, sub ohms is not for everyone. Vape at what is best for YOU.

I also started with cigalikes, to eGos, to simple mechanicals and regulated mods using clearos and cartotanks. Cartotanks with a Provari (regulated mod) was my "go to" combo for nearly two years. I was in a very comfortable place in vaping.

I worked for a vape shop for most of 2014. Nearly everyone on staff there used rebuildable drippers, and most of them used real low sub-ohm coils. I needed to learn to make coils as part of my job, so I got a Kayfun Lite Plus rebuildable tank atomizer (@1.5 ohm single coil/28g wire). An improvement in the flavor compared to my beloved cartotanks. I also then got into rebuildable drip atomizers (0.6 ohm dual coils/28 g wire). Adds more vapor compared to the KFL+.

I don't particularly enjoy making coils like others do. But the nice benefit to rebuilding is that the coils can last almost indefinitely if you dry burn them between wick changes. This is a huge gain in savings. (No need to spend up to $3 each for replacement clearo heads or disposable cartomizers every couple of weeks.) Kanthal wire (coils) and organic cotton balls (wick) are extremely cheap.

I did have to drop my nicotine content after getting into rebuildables. And my juice consumption has increased (a byproduct of more vapor production). The KFL+ has a tighter draw, so encourages the mouth to lung hit. The RDA encourages direct lung hits (took some getting used to). Not a fan of coils below 0.5 ohm -- too warm for me.

Last edited:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
If you are a satisfied with 1.8Ω at lower wattage, I would recommend not even trying to get into sub-ohm vaping. While you may end up adapting to it and enjoying it, it is only going to end up costing you more money......especially in the juice category. There is nothing wrong with vaping like you smoked, it worked for me for some time, and if my curiosity hadn't got the better of me, it would still be working.

Once you adapt to the airflow of sub-ohm vaping, it is VERY difficult to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread