Can't seem to sub-ohm :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
Hi everyone, I started vaping with a vaporfi pro 650 mAh battery with an atty at 1.8- 2.0 ohm. Then I upgraded to a provari with a carto tank from IBTanked, which I LOVE!!! I tried a friends Atlantis and it was so harsh I couldn't believe how hot it was. I actually couldn't get into my lungs choked me up bad. So I bought a subtank mini the other day and tried the 1.2 ohm coil with my provari and again way too hot and harsh. I tried it at the lowest volts and not much vapor and the higher I went the more vapor but couldn't enjoy it (get it into my lungs) I really would like to blow big clouds but how the hell do you do it??? What am I doing wrong?

Second quick question, I'm thinking about buying an e-grip, I like the tank being inside of the mod and it comes with a 1.5 coil but will I still have the same problem as above. I like a warm vape but not a choking hot one!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
It's harsher in tanks than it is in an RDA in my opinion, I rock 0.6 ohms every day with lung inhale. I don't really get a harshness though with it. It could be your nicotine level he was using, that wouldn't cause it to be hot just a throat hit.

As far as the eGrip my dad has one and I think it's set at 14 watts or so and it's not hot to either of us. I just can't use his because he does 18mg.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Actually, a sub-ohm coil requires less power to heat, so a lower watt setting gets the coil going much quicker, and cools much faster too. Your problem may be those 1.5- 2 ohm coils that take so long to ramp up the vapor and then finally get so very hot.
Try a .7 ohm coil on that Mini, with open airflow, and pull the vapor straight into your lungs - like you mean it.
It's a little warm, not hot. And provides a smooth thick vapor.

Lots of misconceptions around here about sub-ohming.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
That's always been one of the things I don't like about many subohm setups. If you can find a good RDA with a ton of airflow they work well, but with a lot of the newer tanks it's just too hot for me. I prefer a cooler vape.

So, instead of subohming I've found that using a higher wattage on a higher resistance coil can give me pretty much what I'm looking for. Similar huge clouds, same and sometimes even better flavor, but a lot cooler vape which is what I prefer. I know that everyone seems to have jumped on the subohm bandwagon lately, but it's not the only way to produce big clouds. Airflow is the main key, not the coil resistance.

While it's not going to win any cloud blowing contests you can get good vapor production out of a simple Aspire Nautilus with the right settings.

That's a Nautilus with a 1.8ohm coil at 19 watts.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi everyone, I started vaping with a vaporfi pro 650 mAh battery with an atty at 1.8- 2.0 ohm. Then I upgraded to a provari with a carto tank from IBTanked, which I LOVE!!! I tried a friends Atlantis and it was so harsh I couldn't believe how hot it was. I actually couldn't get into my lungs choked me up bad. So I bought a subtank mini the other day and tried the 1.2 ohm coil with my provari and again way too hot and harsh. I tried it at the lowest volts and not much vapor and the higher I went the more vapor but couldn't enjoy it (get it into my lungs) I really would like to blow big clouds but how the hell do you do it??? What am I doing wrong?

Second quick question, I'm thinking about buying an e-grip, I like the tank being inside of the mod and it comes with a 1.5 coil but will I still have the same problem as above. I like a warm vape but not a choking hot one!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!

You tried a friends Atlantis and you found it so harsh and hot even though your friend did not?
What was different? Did you borrow just the tank to try and put it on your provari, do did you just try your friends atlantis on the device/setup that your friend was using at the time?

Are you vaping 24mg ejuice?

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I could sub ohm with the best of them ........ just didn't like it all that much. So a Provari with a carto tank is one of my main vapes.

Subohming is definitely not for everyone. I have to fight the urge to get irritated every time I see someone recommend it for a total newbie to vaping. It's really just an old-school way to get big clouds for mech mod users, but it seems everyone now wants one with their first VV/VW mod and hasn't even bothered to learn what they're doing yet.

Doesn't even know what Ohm's Law is, but diving right in to subohming.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
You tried a friends Atlantis and you found it so harsh and hot even though your friend did not?
What was different? Did you borrow just the tank to try and put it on your provari, do did you just try your friends atlantis on the device/setup that your friend was using at the time?

Maybe she just doesn't like a hot vape and her friend does.

And what difference would the nicotine level have on the temperature?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I like the vape on the 1.2ohm subtank. OK, so I only run it at medium power but it still hits harder than anything else I have even at the same watts.

As for eGrip... there are some negative reports now circulating the UK. I would give it another few months myself. Joyetech have a patchy record with longer term use of mods. Evic (v.1) was a fiasco. (Supreme is better, in fairness). Most of the stopgap mods (e-lecton and e-com) were discontinued.

If you can afford it, why not? If you don't like to take risks, maybe avoid.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey

The Atlantis was on her mod and she couldn't use it either. I'm vaping 12mg 70vg.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I tried sub-ohming but found it isn't for me. I hate a hot, hot vape and the increase in flavor is too overwhelming for me.

Maybe sub-ohming isn't for you either? Are you stressing about it because you feel that perhaps you need to "fit in". I would suggest you don't try to "fit in" if that is the case. It's not worth it and gains you nothing. And there is a possibility sub-ohming and cloud chasing is bad for your lungs.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I'm happy with my provari set up as far as vaping. I just occasionally want to blow big clouds, they look cool!!!

You should be able to run your 1.2 ohm coil on the subtank with your provari; maybe the first time you tried to hard and ended up burning something; or possibly just a dud coi I suppose.

I suppose 12mg could be harsh for you at 15 watts.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

IMO it would be a lot easier to achieve what you are looking for with a rebuildable atty with good air flow to allow a cool vape at higher power. You also need the appropriate wire and coil design to keep the watts per square mm of coil surface area (heat flux) low and thus cool.

For example, I sometimes run a Mutation X RDA at 0.20 ohms with a dual coil build using 24 gauge Kanthal on a mechanical mod. The Mutation X has 18 air holes and they are not small, so there is no lack of air flow :). This setup makes about 70 watts on a fresh battery. Here it is modeled in the Steam Engine calculator. Look in the 'Results' window and note the heat flux at 70 watts is 386. I don't consider that warm, but I think you might.

With a regulated mod you can turn the power down without building new coils. If you change the watts beside the heat flux to 40 the heat flux changes to 221, which would be way too low for me but you might like it, or you might like 45 watts, or 50 watts.

The thing is once you find a good heat flux number for the style of vaping you like that will be a guide you can use for other builds in future.

With a regulated mod you also do not need to go as low in resistance as I do. Here is an example of a 0.8 ohm dual coil build using 28 gauge Kanthal that has a heat flux of 388 at 70 watts, almost the same as the first setup.

This works with any power level, so if you chose to vape at 10 watts start there and find the setup that gives you the heat flux you like. The heat capacity number comes into play for coil warm up time, but I've found that it mostly takes care of itself if I have the heat flux right.

Keep in mind also that the more power you put into the atty the faster you will have to inhale to keep the vape cool.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread