I'm probably overdoing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I'm only about three weeks into vaping and I love it. But I think I am overdoing it with chain vaping. I'm retired so I don't really have much to do and for the past three weeks I've been sitting at my computer and researching all kinds of stuff about equipment and juice and DIY etc, sometimes well into the night. It's become second nature for me to vape while I read. Now keep in mind that although I was a PAD smoker till three weeks ago, I never smoked at my computer - didn't want to spend all day in a stinky atmosphere. With vaping I am taking liberties - maybe far too much than what's good for me.

For the past week I have been sneezing occasionally, coughing up sticky mucus, getting a blocked nose. I'm pretty old and never suffered from any type of allergy. It could be a slight head cold but I don't feel sick at all - more like hay fever symptoms. Mostly I vape a 50-50 mix at 6mg but I do have a few liquids that are higher PG.

So will this pass or am I really overdoing things? Should I lay down some rules as I used to do with my smoking?

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Chances are the cough and the crap coming up are just your lungs clearing out from smoking. Not everyone has it start right away and it lasts different amounts of time for different people. So long as you are not feeling ill, I would just make sure you are staying hydrated and listen to your body, it will tell you if you are getting to much nicotine.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I wouldn't worry about the chain vaping part

For about a month I started having all kinds of gunk coming up, congestion. Weird breathing all kinds of stuff as the body cleaned up

I will say I get overly congested on heavy VG juice though I finally settled in around 25-30% any higher and I feel all raspy and congested. For no other reason then its just sticky thick vapor.

But I do the same, sit at the PC and rip through a tank in no time been doing it for years still feel fine. I did lower nic a little so I could keep going without overdoing it

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
Thanks for the responses. It's a relief to learn that this will probably pass and I just have to find my level in PG/VG. I do intend to lower the nicotine level eventually, perhaps not just yet because I don't want to have any cravings but that is the longer-term plan. Not that I have any inclination to go back to smoking. We were sitting in the garden yesterday eating our Easter lunch. Hubby and the boys were smoking and even outdoors the smell of the stinkies was totally off-putting.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'm only about three weeks into vaping and I love it. But I think I am overdoing it with chain vaping. I'm retired so I don't really have much to do and for the past three weeks I've been sitting at my computer and researching all kinds of stuff about equipment and juice and DIY etc, sometimes well into the night. It's become second nature for me to vape while I read. Now keep in mind that although I was a PAD smoker till three weeks ago, I never smoked at my computer - didn't want to spend all day in a stinky atmosphere. With vaping I am taking liberties - maybe far too much than what's good for me.

For the past week I have been sneezing occasionally, coughing up sticky mucus, getting a blocked nose. I'm pretty old and never suffered from any type of allergy. It could be a slight head cold but I don't feel sick at all - more like hay fever symptoms. Mostly I vape a 50-50 mix at 6mg but I do have a few liquids that are higher PG.

So will this pass or am I really overdoing things? Should I lay down some rules as I used to do with my smoking?

Hi mate,
You are doing fine.
The pine pollen seems worse this year then the last few. EVERYTHING has more pollen on it. Pick up some Claritin (loratadine) to relieve the seasonal symptoms and drink a bit more water to stay hydrated.
Have fun

Cheers
I

kkahmann

Nov 6, 2014
Jumbos Cove,On,Can
I was a dual user for 3 months--stopped the analogs completely almost 3 months ago.
I tend to chain vape at the computer--worked late the other nite as I have a fire plan I have to have finished by this thursday and I'm trying to get it done so I can go back into retirement.
Night before last I woke up in the middle of the night with a heavy feeling in my chest and my throat was on fire and I was coughing like I used to when I still smoked.
Yesterday I had no energy at all, sneezing, coughing, head ache and general depression--I'm thinking its caused by vaping and I'm really bummed about that.
Woke up this morning and my sinuses are plugged solid, voice sounds funny and my nose is running like a water tap--I think I have a cold!
Never thought I would be so happy to suffer from a head cold--took a couple of asprin and fix some chaga tea--I'll be fine in a week.
Vape On

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
There's two schools of thought here

1) Cut down your nic to 3mg in order not to over-nic yourself

2) Up your nic (to say 12 or 18) so that you don't feel inclined to vape as much.

I haven't found the right balance yet as I chain vape as well. I do find that if I use 3 or 6, I go through more tanks than if I use 12. Of course, it depends on your gear -- a sub-ohm setup probably wont be that pleasant with anything over 6.

Age has to be a factor too i think, everything degrades in time even us. But it's hard to come to a conclusion without knowing much about the addiction in hand or how long said person has been chain vaping for or how many cigarettes they smoked before,

I still smoke but very low numbers as well as vape too.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
There's two schools of thought here

1) Cut down your nic to 3mg in order not to over-nic yourself

2) Up your nic (to say 12 or 18) so that you don't feel inclined to vape as much.

I haven't found the right balance yet as I chain vape as well. I do find that if I use 3 or 6, I go through more tanks than if I use 12. Of course, it depends on your gear -- a sub-ohm setup probably wont be that pleasant with anything over 6.

I haven't found the right balance yet either. I use 24 mg just since the last few days in the morning, then switch to 18 mg. I have a bunch of great juices in 12 mg and 6 mg and I'm afraid to use them in case I get a cigarette craving. Not sure what to do. Plus I get vapers tongue almost immediately when I switch to a nicer flavored juice.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I would never suggest reducing your nic unless you were having issues (like headaches, queasiness etc.) or you chose to. I think for me the best part of vaping was being able to do it inside instead of going out in the hot, cold or rain. And the second best part was finding ecf and having a reliable place to find information. There are also so pretty special people around here that I just adore. Continued success to you.

If you haven't already, look into joining CASAA CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association
JC_link.gif

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I did look into it but it seems to be only for US citizens. I am not American and do not live there. I did sign in support of the legal action that Totally Wicked (UK) is taking against the EU Tobacco Products Directive though. The TPD will limit e-cigs and liquids very severely as of about this time next year.

viannen_39.gif
Sorry, I did not even notice. I just always try to spread the word about them. I did do a bit of googling and what a beautiful place you live. OMgosh. Gorgeous. Going to have to add that to my bucket list.
good.gif

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Out of all the variables in vaping I found hitting the right PG/VG blend was one of the most important in regards to how I feel

This has a definite effect.

Agree completely. Although it very likely is a symptom of getting rid of years of accumulated crud in your lungs/sinuses (my sinuses actually took longer to clear than my lungs!), if you continue to have large amounts of relatively clear mucus, I'd take a hard look at the VG; 50/50 is still quite a bit of VG, I can't do more than 20% VG or I have so much crud in my sinuses, throat, and lungs, I can't breathe, it's like a hairball I can't cough up. Although it seems more common for people to have uncomfortable sensitivity to PG, inability to tolerate much VG is by no means rare, and the congestion/thick chest/tight chest is a hallmark of that intolerance.

And I see that you're right at 3 wks smoke-free -- good going! But that is notoriously a rocky time (3 days/3 wks/3 mos); a lot of people notice all sort of bad things around those milestones -- depression, anger, sadness, anxiety, panic, cravings... any or all of the above are common. In depression, we tend to notice all the ways we feel uncomfortable, more than the ways we're happy.

Andria

ETA: you're only overdoing the chain vaping if it makes you feel sick, or jumping out of your skin jittery, or maybe headaches -- if you don't have any symptoms along those lines, then you're not overdoing the nicotine.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
To make a point. I gottaa couple new drippers to play with this morning. I am running dual coi!s at .6 .7 been hammering on them all day seeing what i like better. Massive clouds from these things chaining away.

Cept for the whole room spinning thing i feel fine internally lol.

Everything has such a nice fuzzy texture .........

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
To make a point. I gottaa couple new drippers to play with this morning. I am running dual coi!s at .6 .7 been hammering on them all day seeing what i like better. Massive clouds from these things chaining away.

Cept for the whole room spinning thing i feel fine internally lol.

Everything has such a nice fuzzy texture .........

:confused::blink::?::laugh::toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread