Air flow and coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I know a lot of people, particularly those using higher PG mixes, tend to use open airflows. However, coming only recently to vaping from long years of smoking I still pefer my draw to be a little tight. I very often find myself using the lowest possible airflow. I usually vape a 60/40 or 50/50 PG/VG ,mix. Now my question is - am I maltreating my coils, am I flooding them and shortening their life? I ask because I went through two coils in as many weeks on my Kanger Geni. They may have been born under a bad star and if that is the case I will take it. But if I am doing something wrong I would also like to know and be advised about it. Thanks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
IMO, its not unusual to go through a clearomizer coil per week. I don't see how you could be "mistreating" your coils. It all sounds normal.

Manufacturers want you to repeatedly buy replacement coils for their tanks from them. This is how they make money and keep you coming back as a customer. These coils are made by the thousands by hand by their factory workers. Quality control can be hit or miss; as you can imagine it is impossible to inspect each and every coil made. You can't really expect such tiny coils and wicks to last long. Small gauge wire doesn't last long. Silica was never a great wick material.

Perhaps its time to do what I and many other vapers have done, which is to get into "rebuildables". By doing this, you no longer are dependent upon expensive factory made coils. YOU control the quality control. YOU can make larger and more durable coils with heavier gauge wire. YOU can use better wicking material than silica strings (ie cotton, cotton bacon, Ko Gen Do cotton, cellucotton/rayon). And YOU can do this inexpensively - cotton and wire are pennies compared to replacement coils.

More vapor. More flavor. More control. Less cost. Change flavors on a whim.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

I change the wick (easy) in my RDA once a week. I dry burn clean the coils at wick change time; these coils last several months at a time with dry burning. A year supply of wire is about $6. A year supply of cotton is $3. You do the math.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herrick

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
YOU can make larger and more durable coils with heavier gauge wire. YOU can use better wicking material than silica strings (ie cotton, cotton bacon, Ko Gen Do cotton, cellucotton/rayon). And YOU can do this inexpensively.

Thank you. Yes, I have been looking into that but I must say "YOU also need experience" :D Like I said, I am very new to vaping, but definitely I have been researching rebuilding my own coils. But in the meantime.. you don't think that the way I vape is putting any unnecessary strain on my coils?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you. Yes, I have been looking into that but I must say "YOU also need experience" :D Like I said, I am very new to vaping, but definitely I have been researching rebuilding my own coils. But in the meantime.. you don't think that the way I vape is putting any unnecessary strain on my coils?

Nope. Sounds normal to me. Its the nature of the beast.

50/50 Pg/vg ratios are quite common. Tight airflow would not destroy coils prematurely.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Ditto to above - what you're doing (tighter draw, and more PG) doesn't impact the coil life. At least not substantially.
Airflow is important as you go to lower resistance/higher power - which lets you get more vapor, etc... and it's a preference.
As to rebuilding - I avoided it for a while, but also recommend getting something rebuildable. It might take a few tries, but the flexibility is worth the learning curve.
And NO you don't need a torch! I got one, but don't use it anymore - I build with untreated wire, then just "Dry burn" the coil - fire it to red-hot with no wicking while making certain it's in a good position, glowing evenly, etc... That heating accomplishes the same burn-off that any pre-torching would...except for making the wire stiffer to wrap initially, which I don't find necessary.
Especially if you get one of those popular coil-winder-jig thingies...

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I find that vaping my coils slightly higher increases their natural life span. Also washing frequently and rotating heads. I've had heads last me 4 months or more in rotation, although, (and this proves true on the Nautilus) flavor decreases a lot. But since we pay 7 bucks for a head, I might as well give them the best lifespan possible.

Another thing I learned is leaving the base in alcohol too overnight. Buildup of juice can give you wrong readings, and the head you thought was gone, might just be not making connection.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I know a lot of people, particularly those using higher PG mixes, tend to use open airflows. However, coming only recently to vaping from long years of smoking I still pefer my draw to be a little tight. I very often find myself using the lowest possible airflow. I usually vape a 60/40 or 50/50 PG/VG ,mix. Now my question is - am I maltreating my coils, am I flooding them and shortening their life? I ask because I went through two coils in as many weeks on my Kanger Geni. They may have been born under a bad star and if that is the case I will take it. But if I am doing something wrong I would also like to know and be advised about it. Thanks.

Not Doing anything wrong, IMO, maybe EXPECTING something wrong?
Your coil usage is LOW compare to what I was using before I got my Kayfun.. Mini Protank and PT3. I was rebuilding/wicking coils for my protanks DAILY. Still do, on the Kayfun. The cause is the Juice I vape NOT the WAY I am vaping it. Some juices are harder on the coil than others.
PG/VG is 90% PERSONAL preference and 10% wicking ability of the atty. I used everything from 100%PG to 100%VG in my Protanks. Granted being restrictive in airflow and wickability the Protank HEAD does prefer thinner juices, thus higher PG ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread