Why do my coils die so quick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVaper

Sep 27, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm vaping with a Vaporesso Swag and have tested the GT2, GT4, Mesh and Ccell coils so far. I'm vaping 50/50 VG/PG liquid with 3ml/mg nicotine. I always use the coils at the lowest recommended wattage, airflow fully open and my puffs are usually 2 seconds long at max.
Now my problem, I'm going through coils faster than others change their underwear. I'm on my third coil now for 10ml (!) of liquid.
I prime my coils and I let them sit in the tank for at least 30 minutes before I use them. I get muted flavor after maybe 5ml of liquid and it tastes burnt after 10ml of liquid. I've also tried different liquid brands and at least 20 different flavors.
So what am I doing wrong? I'm about to quit vaping because of the immense cost of coils I go through. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Welcome to ECF.

I don't use those products, so can't offer any advice really. Someone will be along to help you shortly :)

I will say that you may want to look into rebuildables. Building your own coils costs pennies, and is very easy to do. Plenty of information here on ECF to help you. If that's something you're interested in learning about, let us know.

Reactions: MrVaper

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hello everyone,

I'm vaping with a Vaporesso Swag and have tested the GT2, GT4, Mesh and Ccell coils so far. I'm vaping 50/50 VG/PG liquid with 3ml/mg nicotine. I always use the coils at the lowest recommended wattage, airflow fully open and my puffs are usually 2 seconds long at max.
Now my problem, I'm going through coils faster than others change their underwear. I'm on my third coil now for 10ml (!) of liquid.
I prime my coils and I let them sit in the tank for at least 30 minutes before I use them. I get muted flavor after maybe 5ml of liquid and it tastes burnt after 10ml of liquid. I've also tried different liquid brands and at least 20 different flavors.
So what am I doing wrong? I'm about to quit vaping because of the immense cost of coils I go through. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I’ve used all the coils that have been mentioned – even on the Vaporesso Swag. The CCELL and Mesh last the longest, but even the GT2 and GT4 where not that bad – certainly got more than 10ml out of them. And using 50/50 juice. So bit puzzled as to why yours are not lasting.

Where are you buying your coils? Have you confirmed their authenticity?

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
I don't use those specific coils either, but if you're vaping sweets or dessert flavors, those tend to gunk up any cool fairly quick. I second Sloth's advice from above to look into building your own, but I understand a lot of people don't want the hassle of that and I respect if you happen to be one of them. I will say that I used to be, I have arthritis and thought there was no way I'd be able to build my own. I found out it's really not that hard, there are tools available that make it easier (I use a Coilmaster), and I have not had to deal with the frustration of a nasty tasting, overpriced drop in coil for almost four years now. YouTube has plenty of videos posted demonstrating how to do this.

I'm really sorry, I have to run right now. I'll peek in on this thread later tonight, hopefully someone else here can give you some more help. I just didn't want you to give up.

Welcome to ecf, and good luck!

MrVaper

Sep 27, 2019
I’ve used all the coils that have been mentioned – even on the Vaporesso Swag. The CCELL and Mesh last the longest, but even the GT2 and GT4 where not that bad – certainly got more than 10ml out of them. And using 50/50 juice. So bit puzzled as to why yours are not lasting.

Where are you buying your coils? Have you confirmed their authenticity?

When I started out vaping occasionally I was also pretty satisfied with the GT2 coils. But since I'm exclusively vaping my coil life goes down massively. But is 3-4ml of juice per day really too much? How long should pauses be in between puffs? Am I inhaling too much/less?

I got my coils from different vendors and I've confirmed their authenticity with the scratch off sticker.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
My first guess was you got coils from e-bay (I made that mistake once... never again!) Sounds like you are doing everything right. Priming coil, filling tank and waiting, thin juices, short draws. How many watts are you using? It helps to start low and "break-in" new coils, then slowly increase wattage. 3-4 ml a day is not that much at all (that's about what I go through and I'm doing MTL) Might try closing down the airflow a bit (too much and coil doesn't get enough air to cool, not enough and juice doesn't get into wick as well) Try doing "primer puffs" between draws (draw air without hitting fire button) I can't afford to keep buying coils so I do this all the time. After you prime coil, you do fill tank then let it sit, right? Just priming but not filling tank won't work. Are you sure about the wattage you are using? Do you "lock" the mod so setting won't change?

Reactions: toneman2121

MrVaper

Sep 27, 2019
Might try closing down the airflow a bit (too much and coil doesn't get enough air to cool, not enough and juice doesn't get into wick as well) Try doing "primer puffs" between draws (draw air without hitting fire button) I can't afford to keep buying coils so I do this all the time. After you prime coil, you do fill tank then let it sit, right? Just priming but not filling tank won't work. Are you sure about the wattage you are using? Do you "lock" the mod so setting won't change?

I'll try closing the airflow down a bit. Yes I fill the tank up and let it sit. I'm sure about the wattage, I look at the screen everytime I take puffs.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Stock coils are:
1-hit or mess. Never had luck with'em. 4ml of juice on a head and I'll consider myself lucky. I chain vape, so this might be the extreme. But you get the point.
2- expensive.
3- I like to change cotton daily. Not possible with stock coils. If I show you my wicks, you'll wonder how people keep vaping on a head for days let alone weeks.
4- At some point the manufacturer will stop making your favorite stock coil. There is a new tank every week. No way they can continue supporting the old models.

Did I manage to convince you to move on to rebuildables?
I did. No regrets. Seems intimidating at first. But really not that difficult. Few threads here + some videos and you're good to go.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
When I started out vaping occasionally I was also pretty satisfied with the GT2 coils. But since I'm exclusively vaping my coil life goes down massively. But is 3-4ml of juice per day really too much? How long should pauses be in between puffs? Am I inhaling too much/less?

I got my coils from different vendors and I've confirmed their authenticity with the scratch off sticker.

4ml a day is not a problem. I was vaping 5x that amount, and even chain vaping at times. So I do not think your frequency is the problem.

There is High, Normal and Low setting which determines the pre-heat. Ensure you have it set to Normal or Low. I forget how to set it, you will have to look it up. Doubt this is your issue but worth a try.

How does the coil look once you start noticing the burnt taste. What juices have you tried?

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US

• 0.4ohm GT 2 Core - rated for 45-80W
  • Are you starting at 45 watts? Even though that should be OK, try 20 W, then 30W, then 50W (I doubt you need to go over that but after a day or so go ahead and try 70W... don't push it to 80W)
  • No difference between different juices? Some are just "coil killers"
  • Are you using simple wattage mode... nothing fancy?
  • Honestly, it sounds like you are doing everything right... we must be missing something.

MrVaper

Sep 27, 2019
How does the coil look once you start noticing the burnt taste. What juices have you tried?

The cotton still looks pretty good, the wire is very dark. Let me ask, how quick does a wire change color? Is it normal to be dark after a few ml?

I'm starting a bit lower than recommended wattage, then stop at minimum recommended or 5 Watts higher. I can't say that some juices are better or worse. Simple wattage. Also tried a Wattage curve at some point, starting at 45 watts and then going down 10 watts...seems like this was a BIT better.

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
My first guess was you got coils from e-bay (I made that mistake once... never again!) Sounds like you are doing everything right. Priming coil, filling tank and waiting, thin juices, short draws. How many watts are you using? It helps to start low and "break-in" new coils, then slowly increase wattage. 3-4 ml a day is not that much at all (that's about what I go through and I'm doing MTL) Might try closing down the airflow a bit (too much and coil doesn't get enough air to cool, not enough and juice doesn't get into wick as well) Try doing "primer puffs" between draws (draw air without hitting fire button) I can't afford to keep buying coils so I do this all the time. After you prime coil, you do fill tank then let it sit, right? Just priming but not filling tank won't work. Are you sure about the wattage you are using? Do you "lock" the mod so setting won't change?

'My first guess was you got coils from e-bay (I made that mistake once... never again!'

UH OH!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The cotton still looks pretty good, the wire is very dark. Let me ask, how quick does a wire change color? Is it normal to be dark after a few ml?

I'm starting a bit lower than recommended wattage, then stop at minimum recommended or 5 Watts higher. I can't say that some juices are better or worse. Simple wattage. Also tried a Wattage curve at some point, starting at 45 watts and then going down 10 watts...seems like this was a BIT better.

Coils may turn colour almost instantly. All depends on the juice you are using. Sugary juices, or one that use high levels of sweeteners will yield a lower coil life than ones that do not use as much sweeteners. Problem is, we do not know until we vape the juice.

One of my absolute favorites juices was from a Toronto company called Cold Turkey’s Mistress line. Banana Bread with walnuts and cinnamon. I’d drink this stuff if I felt it would not make me sick. But I would get a couple of days max of use out of it before it gunked up my coils. Price I payed for what I thought was excellent tasting juice (I did not find it to be too sweet).

You can take one of your spent coils apart. If the metal coil is gunked up, that is due to the sweeteners in your juice. If the cotton is burnt, that is due to lack of saturation. Cotton that has changed colour due to the juice can be rinsed under warm water to get ride of the excess juice and reveal any burning. Try this with any coil but the CCELL.

Below is a picture of a gunked coil and burnt cotton (bottom row). Ignore the mesh strips and wound coil on the top.

Mesh.jpg

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I've use two Revenger with GT2, GT4 and mesh never were happy with any of them. To hot for my taste. Just don't taste the same as my DIY coils I use. Ran them below the suggested wattage at 25 to 40 watts tops matter what. Just don't like them but I love the take top fill and air slots.

Like someone else said set it at the soft or norm setting for VW MODE. One other thing I vaped all the coils in the VW MODE.

Am a Chain vapor, vape 60% PG // 40 VG from 15 to now 7 mg nicotine all my own tobacco flavors. I get 20 - 30 to ml before I need to wash the coils under clear water.

The mesh worked the best for taste and amount of time used. Also much easier to clean.

Something serious wrong if your getting 10 ml out of a coil suggest you start off at the lowest wattage your comfortable with and stay there, ignore they suggest wattage.

IMO: if your getting limited use out the GT and mesh it is because of the liquid and wattage setting more then likely the liquid then the wattage.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    One relatively easy test is to put in some unflavored juice, and use a thin version like lower VG % and higher PG if you're not PG sensitive. And add a few drops of distilled water, that will thin it too. Not too much though...you don't really want steam either.

This eliminates many of the wicking issues...thin juice.

If that works better, it's a thick juice wicking issue and/or combined with the flavorings. Like others have said, "sugary" juice (caramels, RJ4's, etc) and often tobaccos will gunk wicks and coils up fast.

As for wattage, always start low and work up to workable vape level.

:2c:
    3- I like to change cotton daily. Not possible with stock coils. If I show you my wicks, you'll wonder how people keep vaping on a head for days let alone weeks.
    OK this. I'm going out on a limb.
    You don't want to burn through cotton...that basically means that you have a wicking problem or are running too hot.

BUT...cotton will char.

Now, I fully expect that INSIDE of the rig, my cotton is a bit carbonized right by the coil due to juice and/or toasted cotton. Now, if I were to change that constantly to try to keep it bright-white, I'd actually be burning MORE cotton than I'd want to. Does that make sense? If you're trying to keep bright-white or even light-brown cotton, and you're constantly changing it out, I'm wondering if that's part of your...problem...and you may be doing more harm than good, as that char layer acts as kind of an insulator if it still allows juice to wick in. Kind of like a carbon layer that keeps the rest from burning all the time.

OK pros, let me have it.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    My first guess was you got coils from e-bay (I made that mistake once... never again!'

UH OH!
    You might get lucky. I got 2 coils out of a 5 pack that were almost useless! Try direct vapor.com next time (free shipping) I've only had 1 bad coil from authentic packs of coils... there will always be that occasional bad one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread