Health Problems with Ecigg..advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evokazz

Sep 12, 2012
UK
Hiya guys, I was a heavy smoker for a fair few years, and went cold turkey on real ciggs and jumped directly to E-Ciggs. I used the small ones for about 6 months (where they actually look like a real cigg) until I discovered tanks and refills.

I have used exclusively through my journey an EVOD battery, and EVOD clearomiser, along with a 1.8ohm coil. Which I replace regularly.

Now I am a chain vaper, I have it on my persons at all times, and am constantly puffing away on it. 10ml of liquid lasts me about 5-6 days.

I never had issue with vaping, I used VIP USA Tobacco liquid for about a year, and then they stopped making it, so I switched to The Alchemists Cupboard, and vape their Coconut Caramel Hazlenut Honey liquid.

Towards the end of my run with VIP, I noticed almost overnight, I had a feeling my throat was blocked with phlegm and kept having to swallow to relieve the feeling. I am now almost 8 months in using TAC Liquids and the blocked throat feeling is there 24/7, it seems to go after eating something, but returns within an hour. It's like I have food or something stuck in my throat, that wont go down. It actually feels like phlegm. Now when I wake up in a morning, it's almost completely gone, but after vaping it returns.

Has anyone else who vapes heavy ran into this after 2+ years of vaping? Is there anything I can do short of stopping to make this go away?

My liquid is 50VG/50PG, and I have been constantly using 18mg.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I was a heavy smoker for 35 years or more. Switched to vaping 4 months ago and like you I vape Evods and tend to chain vape. I had issues with artificial ingredients in bought ejuice giving me problems, I am one of the few that artificial sweeteners taste horrible to. I make my own juice using no artificial ingredients flavorings and 50/50 mix. And so far no issues. Perhaps your issue is with smething in the juice you are smoking? Also some report similar issue th what you are experiencing from PG. Some say it took a while to manifest itself and when they switched to high VG juices it went away. The Indoor Smokers video guy on youtube says he is this way.

Reactions: khalidmna

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Hi Evo.

Personally, I find that high VG juices do that to me - the phlegmy feel at the back of my throat. Lots of hydration can help, but other than a couple of commercial flavors that I really like that only come 50/50, I get and mix my own at 70/30 PG/VG.

Most of the online juice vendors will let you specify the ratio. Most in B&Ms seem to be 50/50, a reasonable compromise between throat hit and vapor quantity.

Certain flavors may also do that, especially creamy and sweet ones.

(And 2 ml a day isn't a lot :) )

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Part of it I think is your smoke damaged lungs clearing out gunk. It seems to me about 6 months ago I was coughing a lot, especially first thing in the morning.

Also I have seasonal asthma. Its spring now so its back. I'm having some issues with my higher vg liquids now. So in my case I'm better using more like 50/50.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Now I am a chain vaper, I have it on my persons at all times, and am constantly puffing away on it. 10ml of liquid lasts me about 5-6 days.

10ml over 5 to 6 days would be low for a chain vaper. I think some of the others are right about changing your juice since juice wise, you aren't over doing it.

I think it might be the juice you're using. Maybe you're sensitive to something in it. Try an experiment: get some different juices from different vendors, different flavors and different concentrations of VG/PG. Some people have weird reactions to PG (I was one of those, after a while it sort of made me feel like my mouth was burning, I switched to higher VG juice and that fixed it) and other people have weird reactions to PG or certain flavorings.

It could also be your lungs clearing the crud out. It could also be that you're not hydrated enough and your throat is drying out and your body fluids aren't thin enough. I know it's a vaping cliche but you should drink more water, even if you think you're drinking enough.

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida

As said above, that's not chain vaping. I kill 10+ mil a day and that's having to take smoke breaks at work to go outside....

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hiya guys, I was a heavy smoker for a fair few years, and went cold turkey on real ciggs and jumped directly to E-Ciggs. I used the small ones for about 6 months (where they actually look like a real cigg) until I discovered tanks and refills.

I have used exclusively through my journey an EVOD battery, and EVOD clearomiser, along with a 1.8ohm coil. Which I replace regularly.

I never had issue with vaping, I used VIP USA Tobacco liquid for about a year, and then they stopped making it, so I switched to The Alchemists Cupboard, and vape their Coconut Caramel Hazlenut Honey liquid.

Towards the end of my run with VIP, I noticed almost overnight, I had a feeling my throat was blocked with phlegm and kept having to swallow to relieve the feeling. I am now almost 8 months in using TAC Liquids and the blocked throat feeling is there 24/7, it seems to go after eating something, but returns within an hour. It's like I have food or something stuck in my throat, that wont go down. It actually feels like phlegm. Now when I wake up in a morning, it's almost completely gone, but after vaping it returns.

Has anyone else who vapes heavy ran into this after 2+ years of vaping? Is there anything I can do short of stopping to make this go away?

My liquid is 50VG/50PG, and I have been constantly using 18mg.

Almost certainly the VG. If I use as little as 20% Vg, I get that exact feeling -- if I use even more VG, I can't breathe at all. I stick to 84% Pg and have no issues, except occasionally very late at night, something very mild along those lines.

Andria

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
10ml over 5 to 6 days would be low for a chain vaper. I think some of the others are right about changing your juice since juice wise, you aren't over doing it.
This what I thought when I read the OP's post. I vape 10 ml of ejuice a day! If the OP is constantly vaping and is only going through 10 ml a week, then he's inhaling dry hits galore and that for sure will irritate the throat and possibly the lungs.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Wow, 5-6 days lol

I have one dual wick Atty with a 3 ml tank I feel like I'm refilling every 5-6 minutes lol

I'm with everyone else try a diff brand

A good experiment is get the exact same juice in both high pg and high VG. Vape one bottle see how you feel then vape the other

Works best if its not some crazy sweet or complex flavor

Evokazz

Sep 12, 2012
UK
Thanks for the replies guys, I rarely drink water maybe it could be that catching up with me??

What do you guys mean when you say dry vaping? I inhale and there's plenty of smoke.

Another thing I notice is when I try a new flavour it is strong in taste, but after a week I can't taste it, unless I try a new flavour is this normal? If I go back to the liquid I could no longer taste after a few days I can taste it again.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
Thanks for the replies guys, I rarely drink water maybe it could be that catching up with me??

What do you guys mean when you say dry vaping? I inhale and there's plenty of smoke.

Another thing I notice is when I try a new flavour it is strong in taste, but after a week I can't taste it, unless I try a new flavour is this normal? If I go back to the liquid I could no longer taste after a few days I can taste it again.
Hi, that happens to me too. It's vapers tongue. Drinking lots of water or switching flavors can help.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Insufficient water intake may be part of it, Evo. And you don't have to chug glasses and glasses, but keep working on a glass or two (or three, we're all different!) throughout the day. I'll often take a sip and slosh it around my mouth to help hydrate the tissues there.

Um, dry vaping... 2 things come to mind. Dry hits - when your topper has run so low on juice (or you have a wicking problem) and your draw scorches things inside. You'll really notice that!

The other, although how it got stuck with the moniker is beyond me, is a technique used for fresh coils / wicks where you draw a few times without pressing the fire button. That helps to wet the wick by drawing juice into the vaporization chamber without boiling it off.

Your last issue. If you've been using the same head all week, odds are good that the coil is getting gunked up and needs to be changed or cleaned and dry burned. Over use - and it varies quite a bit depending on the particular juice and your vaping habits - coils get crudded up. If putting a new flavor onto the old coil, it may be enough different so you can taste it again, but most put in a new coil with a new flavor, so it's all starting fresh. As the gunk builds up, you may find yourself cranking up the power - usually a pretty good sign that it's time for some coil maintenance. :)

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA
Get it checked out by a Dr. You don't want to have something wrong with you that may need to be caught early. It might be something that is coincidental to your vaping habits. Of course, most Dr.'s will tell you to quit vaping, and if you for whatever reason you feel that you have to, then don't feel bad about it. Your health is more important than anything and not even an ecig should stand in the way of that. If it turns out it's nothing more than a little dehydration, then you can adjust accordingly, but if it's something that is bothersome to you, go see the Doc.

Reactions: YoursTruli

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Mainly it's "fatigue" of the tastebuds/olfactory sense; just as you can't smell what the inside of your own home smells like, unless you go away for some hours and then return. This is why it's a good idea to have more than one mod ready to vape at all times -- so that when you stop being able to taste what you're vaping, you can vape something else for a while; the difference in taste will enable you to taste each of them better -- they should be rather different sorts of flavors, for best effect. The two I keep handy are Strawberries & Cream, and "Smocha", which is coffee/tobacco/choc-vanilla-cream -- they're so entirely different, they each give me a break from the other.

We never really noticed this "fatigue" problem with cigarettes because cigarettes really don't have much taste to start with -- which I never realized until I had been vaping for a while.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread