Reading the coil gage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
I'm not new to rda's, but it's been a while and new to all these different coils. I dont know to read the specs.
Juggernaut (32g/26g): from what i understand it's two claptons wrapped with a ribbon wire. How do I read this?
How do I read the specs for other such as: Alian, interlock Alian, staggered fused Clapton, parallel clapton.?

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I'm not new to RDA's, but it's been a while and new to all these different coils. I dont know to read the specs.
Juggernaut (32g/26g): from what i understand it's two claptons wrapped with a ribbon wire. How do I read this?
How do I read the specs for other such as: Alian, interlock Alian, staggered fused Clapton, parallel clapton.?
A juggernaut will be 2 26g core 32g wrap claptons wrapped in ribbon wire. Fused clapton example might be 2x26/32 meaning 2 26g wire core wrapped with 32g wire. Does that help some?

englishmick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
A juggernaut will be 2 26g core 32g wrap claptons wrapped in ribbon wire. Fused clapton example might be 2x26/32 meaning 2 26g wire core wrapped with 32g wire. Does that help some?

Got a question. Not that I use fancy coils, but I always wondered what "fused" means in that context.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Got a question. Not that I use fancy coils, but I always wondered what "fused" means in that context.
“Fused” means there’s more than one heat wire inside the wrapped bundle. Most often they’re set side by side making for what looks like flat oval shaped wire.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
So it does not tell me the size of the ribbon wire?
I downloaded the Vape Tool pro app. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the way these coils work as far as energy consumption and construction of some coils. This one has stumped me. It has a spot for core, outer, and ribbon. I can add a core so I guess I would add two cores at the same value of 26g. The outer would be the 32g Clapton, which I would have to add and out since there are two claptons. And the ribbon is an unknown value?

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
So it does not tell me the size of the ribbon wire?
I downloaded the Vape Tool pro app. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the way these coils work as far as energy consumption and construction of some coils. This one has stumped me. It has a spot for core, outer, and ribbon. I can add a core so I guess I would add two cores at the same value of 26g. The outer would be the 32g Clapton, which I would have to add and out since there are two claptons. And the ribbon is an unknown value?
Ahh, I got it. The core remains the same, but I had to add a second outer Clapton, but the ribbon wire is still unknown. I finally got the values the app and my mod display to add up.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Ahh, I got it. The core remains the same, but I had to add a second outer Clapton, but the ribbon wire is still unknown. I finally got the values the app and my mod display to add up.
I have an old spool of juggernaut wire are home in the bottom of my old gear drawer. I'll look at it tonight and reply back.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
So I purchased some premade coils. I have the staggard fused clapton 32/26, the Alian 32/24, and the interlock Alian 32/24. Would you explain these. I am a complete novice to these intricate coils. Ive been vaping all this time with tanks, but the last time I used an RDA the simple Clapton was the big thing.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
So the app is assuming I know the make of the coil?
Correct. The app does not teach you how these coils are constructed, it simply tells you the stats of the coil you intend to use/build.

For coil types and how they are constructed, YouTube is an invaluable tool. Pretty much every coil type you could imagine, and some you can't, are on there.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
So I purchased some premade coils. I have the staggard fused clapton 32/26, the Alian 32/24, and the interlock Alian 32/24. Would you explain these. I am a complete novice to these intricate coils. Ive been vaping all this time with tanks, but the last time I used an RDA the simple Clapton was the big thing.
24g core 32g wrap. Aliens are usually a triple core. Fused clapton is going to be 2 or more core wires. The fused claptons will be 26g core 32g wrap. Are you sure that's how it was written?

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
24g core 32g wrap. Aliens are usually a triple core. Fused clapton is going to be 2 or more core wires. The fused claptons will be 26g core 32g wrap. Are you sure that's how it was written?
I purchased them from Maxvape, probably some cheep Chinese made products. I wanted to try them out before I spend the money on US handmade coils. Quote:
Alien Coil (32g/24g): 0.25 ohm
Staggered Fused Clapton (32g/26g): 0.3 ohm
Interlocked Alien (32g/24g): 0.17 ohm
I get that the ohms are for a single coil, but those are the only numbers give.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I purchased them from Maxvape, probably some cheep Chinese made products. I wanted to try them out before I spend the money on US handmade coils. Quote:
Ok. I only use either coils of my own design or fused claptons any more. I only use mech mods and I know exactly what works for me. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Sounds like a waste of wire, money, and juice to me. Of course this is just my opinion, but a single coil single strand wire puts out plenty of vapor to keep you off of smokes. I can fog up a room with my 26ga single strand SSL316 coil at 430F Temp Controlled. Best off all I bought a 100ft spool a few years ago for $7-$8 and with both the wife and I making coils still have a few years left of it. Takes about 45 seconds to wrap a coil with this. All those fancy wires do is cost a lot more money, waste more juice, and drain batteries faster. This is 100% my opinion of course so YMMV.

I purchased them from Maxvape, probably some cheep Chinese made products..

I wouldn't use any wire from a Chinese supplier. I don't trust them not to use lead based wire and claim it's Kanthal or something. They really don't care how many Americans they kill with their products, they have been doing it for decades.

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
Correct. The app does not teach you how these coils are constructed, it simply tells you the stats of the coil you intend to use/build.

For coil types and how they are constructed, YouTube is an invaluable tool. Pretty much every coil type you could imagine, and some you can't, are on there.
Im using it to gauge what kind of stress these coils are going to be put on my batteries.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

If you plan of using 2 coils in a delivery device (dual coil) the resistance is half of that of one coil.
Two .25Ω coils = .125Ω
Two .3Ω coils = .15Ω
Two .17 coils = .085Ω

Wire material & Coil type are personal preference, the accurately measured actual resistance determines safety / battery amp demand when using a mechanical, and power level ~ battery amp demand when using a regulated power device.

Im using it to gauge what kind of stress these coils are going to be put on my batteries.

We'd have to know what type of power device and exactly what cells you're using to give any info about 'stress on batteries'.
And those cells would need to be bought from a known reputable supplier to avoid fake, counterfeit & rewrapped lesser quality cells.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
If you plan of using 2 coils in a delivery device (dual coil) the resistance is half of that of one coil.
Two .25Ω coils = .125Ω
Two .3Ω coils = .15Ω
Two .17 coils = .085Ω

Wire material & Coil type are personal preference, the accurately measured actual resistance determines safety / battery amp demand when using a mechanical, and power level ~ battery amp demand when using a regulated power device.

We'd have to know what type of power device and exactly what cells you're using to give any info about 'stress on batteries'.
And those cells would need to be bought from a known reputable supplier to avoid fake, counterfeit & rewrapped lesser quality cells.
I have the dual cell aegis legend. I bought into the phony rewrapes before I did the reasurch. The Orbtronic 3120/30a seemed to good to pass up. But after looking into them I will only them with my tank atty at 80w. I have a pair of vtc4's manufacture rates them at 30a, but othes have told me there only 23a. Looking at higher quality prebuilt coils, they give all the numbers needed. I am using ea pair of maxvape Juggernaut "32/26". This doesn't make sense because there are two Clapton's wrapped in ribbon so there should be three numbers.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Seems you are confusing yourself with technicalities that really don't make any difference.

No mater what coil type or funky name they're called after ensuring a safe resistance for whatever power source you have,,, all that matters is do you like the vape you get from them.
Your personal impression.
Fancy / exotic coils do not = a better vape in any way, it is a matter of personal preferences.

Coil mass ( how much metal a coil contains, no matter how many strands are wrapped or in what configuration or fancy / exotic names) effects power required to heat in a timely manner / ramp up & ramp down when using a regulated power device.

Why do you think you need to know how many strands of what gauge in what configuration makes up the coil?

You either know they're safe to use on your power source, or not.
You either like the vape you get from them, or you don't, or they aren't quite as good as something else you've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread