bitter taste since morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
my tank's been on a leak streak. relatively new and still on first coil. haven't bought back ups yet, since i'm not sure it's a keeper.

I had to chain at high wattage (for coil) to get the gurgling to stop. might;ve burnt it. no dry hits thus far_ well kind of one... but mainly been bitter after today's fiasco.. i did fire it without inhaling a bit too.

the only discernible thing is a bitter taste sticking. is that an indicator of coil being burnt (didn't happen on my gear)?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You don't provide enough info to give much of an answer.

What power device are you using?
Which delivery device / 'tank' ?
Replaceable head or rta?
How many mls of liquid have you used with that one head?
Temp control? Temp setting?
Or power / watt setting?
Recommended power range for the head you're using?
What power were you using?
Airflow setting?
Inhale style - Mtl / Dtl?
Pg/Vg ratio?
All seals & o ring inplace & undamaged?

Scorched wicking reduces flavor & tastes burnt / slightly burnt. Usually dry, harsh low flavor sometimes hotter.

A full on burnt hit is something you'll remember, when you get one there is no mistaking it.

More likely, you've jacked your sence of taste up / mild vape tongue by chain vaping.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
my tank's been on a leak streak. relatively new and still on first coil. haven't bought back ups yet, since i'm not sure it's a keeper.

I had to chain at high wattage (for coil) to get the gurgling to stop. might;ve burnt it. no dry hits thus far_ well kind of one... but mainly been bitter after today's fiasco.. i did fire it without inhaling a bit too.

the only discernible thing is a bitter taste sticking. is that an indicator of coil being burnt (didn't happen on my gear)?

If you get gurgling it often helps to vape it for a while with the mod upside down. Another technique is to hold it upside down and blow into it. Put a piece of paper towel over the air holes as the excess juice should come out of the holes.

Chain vaping or dry burning would do it too but there's a chance of going a little too far and burning the wick.

Can't guess what the bad taste is, unless you did get the wick too dry and had some minor burning.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
You don't provide enough info to give much of an answer.

What power device are you using?
Which delivery device / 'tank' ?
Replaceable head or rta?
How many mls of liquid have you used with that one head?
Temp control? Temp setting?
Or power / watt setting?
Recommended power range for the head you're using?
What power were you using?
Airflow setting?
Inhale style - Mtl / Dtl?
Pg/Vg ratio?
All seals & o ring inplace & undamaged?

Scorched wicking reduces flavor & tastes burnt / slightly burnt. Usually dry, harsh low flavor sometimes hotter.

A full on burnt hit is something you'll remember, when you get one there is no mistaking it.

More likely, you've jacked your sence of taste up / mild vape tongue by chain vaping.

apologies, so many times i've asked abt the same kit, i imagined the same ppl reading the post and going here he goes again. + thought the bitter thing is a straight forward question: is bitterness indicator of anything?

it's a nunchaku 2 kit. mesh dropp-in .2ohm coil. recommended wattage 50-60. i guess i've gone thru maybe 50ml. it's got only one fill hole on top with silicon cover. coild is bottom dropp in, doesn't screw into tank.

the first time it leaked i used a 50/50 juice. turns out that's not recommended, even the support said. so i went back to 70vg.

then the leaking started with 70vg as well.

didn't check rings etc yet, it's still first coil.

the first few times the flooding happened i blew and fired at above recommended wattage to dry it.

yesterday the flood and gurgle was too much so i couldn't even inhale and i fired on without inhaling.

@CMD-Ky i know the burnt/dry feel. but haven't tried it on this kit. though vic's review did say, a dry hit from this tank would be real bad.

@englishmick that's essentially my suspicion: have i burnt some of the coil? could i have just fried the liquid (is there such a thing?)? i did add liquid from another bottle last night one but the taste is still there. i felt sick after. but no dry hit.

some very old posts discussed unscrewing the glass a bit for the flooding thing... what's the state of our knowledge on that regard now?

reason i'm being less flexible/experimental is that i only have another coil as such. the TCR one. haven't bought new ones yet as i am not sure it's a keeper given all the trouble with the mod and tank.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some might say the solution to a leaking tank is not to chain vape, but o fix the leak.

I am such a person. Now, you just have a cascade of problems and no idea how to fix any of them.

Google your tank and watch a tutorial. Disassemble and check the O rings. It's surprising (depending on manufacturer) how often this can happen. Try again.

The burnt/no taste is probably due to overheated vapor scalding your mouth and yes, you need a new coil. If you must chain vape to fix a leak, probably the TC one would hold up better PROVIDED you know how to set up TC correctly.) Maybe you burned off a few tastebuds, IDK.

Anna

Just letting leaks happen is not good for you or your equipment..

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
some very old posts discussed unscrewing the glass a bit for the flooding thing... what's the state of our knowledge on that regard now?

Actually unscrewing the glass is for the opposite problem, when not enough liquid is getting to the wick.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
@stols001 @englishmick thanks.
I gave it a wash and a look and returned the same coil.
It's better now. There's still a hint of a bad taste bad this might be the Citrusjunkie flavour, we;ll see. Not leaking for now. we'll see.

as i understand it, nothing to the TCR other than inserting the right TCR number and the right start wattage, right?

chained it on the way to the library and i'll try out a different flavour i'm more familiar with.

didn't know you could blow into the tank while firing to puff out thru holes. nice.

i think i'm having a covetous buyer's remorse at this point, and am adding every new bump to the initial uh-oh, which is the firebutton button sticking. there's always a set up out there you think might've been better.

• Optimistic

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Some atomizers will collect condensate at the top of the hole where the drip tip goes...bottom of the drip tip. Check there for liquid. If any, soak it up with the corner of a napkin.

The condensate is more or less just juice. I guess juice has a bitter taste in liquid form. I use a couple of atomizers that regularly collect condensate in that manner. When the condensate collects, it can evoke a bitter taste when one draws on the drip tip.

It is not at all like a dry hit.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
couldn't decide whether to hit 'informative' or 'funny'
thanks.
but why is it bad again?

You are trying to blow excess juice away from the area of the coil. Holding the tank upside down means more juice isn't going to move into the coil area from the tank while you are doing it.

I think if you are firing the coil when you do it you could dry the wick out and burn it.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Incidentally, there has to be a reason excess juice is getting to the coil to cause the gurgling. In my experience the most common reason is bad o-rings which mess up the vacuum. There are things you can do wrong with the wick that cause too much juice to get through. Can't remember if you make your own or use drop in coils.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
If juice is getting in your mouth, it's going to taste bitter. Just put a drop on your tongue and see if it's the same bad taste you had. I would just toss that used coil, but if you want to try and save it, just soak it in grain alcohol (vodka) for awhile, blow out the excess, then let it dry for hours. Sometimes it helps, sometimes just a waste of effort. Don't use 50/50... stick to 70VG. Make sure you are installing coil and rest of tank properly... might have distorted an o-ring or maybe didn't get coil in right. Might be able to save an o-ring by flipping it over. Don't use excessive force to tighten things. Might try to give the coil a break... less chain vaping and wait a few moments between draws (not because of leaking, just good to do anyway) Did you get juice in the fire button on your mod?

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
after cleaning everything, wiping and setting the coil to dry on a papertowel for a few minutes and two changes of liquid taste is gone.

it didnt leak the first two fill ups. then again with the leaking.

havent used 50juice since one of the ladies here gave me the scolding.

i might have gotten juice to the button indeed. could be the cause of it sticking-jamming. alas i could swear it got stuck once or twice before id tried the 50juice and dont recall a leak before.

[[the key disappointment is id thought by now the technology reached a no-leak status quo. further thought drop in coils would be more practical and that UWell-s 'patented juice recycling technology' meant no leaks thru air holes either. i'm far enough from analogs now and securely deep-in vaping, so it's not a threat per se; but i will say it was the leaking thing that was the last straw that turned me back to analogs couple-of-years back (i'd mistakenly started direcltly with a DL and salts weren't common, so it really had no chance ggiving me enough nic).
thought nunchaku 2 would be reasonalby portable, handle two tanks for the MTL when i need it, and heard great things about it as a great DL with great flavour, cloud, and engineering to use thru the day at leasure. now i keep thinking how nice it would be to have a gen with two hellbeasts...]]

anyway, i recall from one of the reviews someone complaining about there being only one slot for top juice fill, which also had a silicon cover. said it would've been better to have two for the air and suggested one can take the silicon off (unless i'm mixing up with a review of another tank, still... could that be the reason?)

• Optimistic

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I watched a review of your setup. Nice tube mod (not sure I like the "tilt" adjustment but as long you pay attention and it's set correctly I see no problem) Inserting coil look straightforward enough (some like Innokin coils ahve flat spots that have to line up just right but doesn't apply to this one) Did you say you removed the silicon at the top???
All tanks can have issues with getting too hot/warm. In a car on a hot day is bad, or even in you pocket. If you chain vape and then put it in your pocket it could be warn enough to thin the juice and cause issues. Personally, I would get something else for carry around device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread