Age Verification inconsistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilkHammer

Jul 13, 2020
Hi all, I apologize if there is a similar post existing here somewhere, as I thought there surely would be but for whatever reason it appears not.

So I recently made two purchases form two sites that both use the same age verification service (Veratad). The one that I ordered from first passed with no issues, however, the second site, from which I ordered about 10 days later, did not clear. I found it odd that the same verifier, with the same info, etc. made two different calls and in such a short frame of time.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation and/or know how such a thing works?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
It may have just been a communication issue. I'm thinking that the vendor off loads to Veratad checking over the INTERNET. I'm also thinking that if that communication to check on age does not get an answer or if Veratad is really busy and does not respond quick enough (if fails). Just like trying to use your CC or ATM card when the connection/communication is down. (Do you have cash, they ask)
I've had one issue where it worked once on a site and then month(s) later I had to provide a driver license. Never needed it since. Just a thought.

Checking on the Vetarad website, It says that

We can also offer heightened age verification options including KBA, document verification, and a mobile phone 2factor authentication.

So I guess the vendor can choose to make the age verification process stricter, which explains your situation.

SilkHammer

Jul 13, 2020
It may have just been a communication issue. I'm thinking that the vendor off loads to Veratad checking over the INTERNET. I'm also thinking that if that communication to check on age does not get an answer or if Veratad is really busy and does not respond quick enough (if fails). Just like trying to use your CC or ATM card when the connection/communication is down. (Do you have cash, they ask)
I've had one issue where it worked once on a site and then month(s) later I had to provide a driver license. Never needed it since. Just a thought.

True, that does make it more "hit or miss". Good point.

Checking on the Vetarad website, It says that

So I guess the vendor can choose to make the age verification process stricter, which explains your situation.

Thank you for bringing that up, as I saw that on the service's website, but was of the mind that it was more of a verification progression they were describing as opposed to the ability to select a higher screening level from the start. Ahaaaa... That does give a new perspective.

Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Does anyone have experience with a similar situation and/or know how such a thing works?

No, but I mostly order from vendors who already know me. But going through the initial process of AV was a hit or miss often.

The best solution I can offer is to email the vendor and ask what the problem is. If they are unresponsive or just generally difficult, go someplace else. Let them lose a sale and let them know that they have lost your business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread