"high drain" battery for 14 watt vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowgli76

Mar 29, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi
I'm usually vaping at just 14 watt (mouth to lung, nothing heavy).

Now I'm soon getting a new mod that takes 21700 batteries, so I'm searching for the best batteries without spending too much or too little.
(aiming for Samsung, LG or Sony, to be safe)

I see some batteries hold 5000 mah, like the Samsung 50E (cyan).
But it only has about 10 amp discharge rate.
So less than half than "regular" 4000 mah batteries for example.

Is 10 amp more than enough for vaping at just 14 watts, or should I find a more "high-drain" battery?
I want to be safe and avoid risks or heat.

Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Hi
I'm usually vaping at just 14 watt (mouth to lung, nothing heavy).

Now I'm soon getting a new mod that takes 21700 batteries, so I'm searching for the best batteries without spending too much or too little.
(aiming for Samsung, LG or Sony, to be safe)

I see some batteries hold 5000 mah, like the Samsung 50E (cyan).
But it only has about 10 amp discharge rate.
So less than half than "regular" 4000 mah batteries for example.

Is 10 amp more than enough for vaping at just 14 watts, or should I find a more "high-drain" battery?
I want to be safe and avoid risks or heat.
10A should be enough for up to 30w with most modern mods. I'm not sure if those batteries have been vetted by the local battery expert, Mooch, or not though. There is a list of the tested cells that, if purchased from a known trusted vendor "should" be at least capable of a specific amp load. I'll be back in a minute with la Link to the list.

Here ya go...
D1396A3F-EE88-4726-80A8-E828885E8CFA.jpeg

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I ended up just ordering two Samsung 40T 4000 mah.
Next time I need new batteries, the 5000 mah versions are probably more popular and tested.

How long would you say one battery lasts if used daily (vaping about 5 ml at 12-14 watts)?
A year or so? (300 cycles?)
A 40T if treated properly, should see at least that

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
Is the mod you just purchased a mech mod? Or is it regulated?

I vape at 11-12 watts, and the 9.8 amp 50e has been an awesome battery for me. Lasts for days in my regulated mods that I use most often. When I did the math, which was not recently, I know that it was at least double what I'd be operating at in terms of amperage. I wouldn't allow myself to buy a battery that didn't at least double where I'd be vaping at.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I suppose I should clarify that when I say "I did the math," I was looking at using the battery for a mech mod as well. I typically use a 1.3ohm coil, so that ups my wattage in a mech to about 17. But the amps are down in the mid 3s even if my build slightly higher or lower on the ohms. Still less than half of what the 50e can handle.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Mooch says you get most of the capacity benefit of 10 A 18650's only if you stay under 21 watts (about 7 amps), even though they should theoretically be good for up to about 30 watts. Assuming that's also true for the bigger batteries, the 10 A options should work well for you at 14 watts.

I also agree with @HigherStateD that you should get at least 300 cycles from a well-treated (meaning don't let it get overheated, charge at or below 1 A to maximize lifespan) battery of the type we're discussing. After 300 cycles or so the drop in capacity might start to be noticeable, but as long as it's not too bad you can continue using the batteries unless you notice other problems like heating up during use or charging.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread