How do I tell the CDR of a rewrapped battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I started being interested in mechs I had rewrapped my collection of batteries.

How do I find the CDR of a battery if it has been wrapped. Do I need to purchase new batteries for mechs?

I have mostly Fogstar batteries but cannot find Fogstar CDR's for 18650s or 21700s in the battery tables I have found.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You generally can't find a reliable CDR for rewraps. It sounds like you've looked at Mooch's tables, which is certainly the right place to start, but the problem remains that rewrappers can change the cell they're rewrapping at any moment. You can never really be sure.

It's best to stick with manufacturer's batteries: Samsung, LG, Sanyo / Panasonic, Sony / Murata, or Molicel, which isn't one of the big four but is reliable. Then buy them from one of Mooch's recommended shops to reduce your risk of getting a counterfeit:

In case a link to Mooch's recommended battery list would be helpful, you can always find the latest version here.

ETA: I don't know how old your batteries are, but it's also important to remember that a battery's CDR will drop as it's used and as it ages. That's part of the reason we need a good safety margin in all calculations.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I think the OP means s/he rewrapped the batteries themselves. I do agree about the bit on older batteries. Even if you knew the original CDR, that will have dropped with time and use. You are better off starting anew with fresh batteries.

ETA: I agree also with sticking with the brands that @Hawise listed.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Before I started being interested in mechs I had rewrapped my collection of batteries.

How do I find the CDR of a battery if it has been wrapped. Do I need to purchase new batteries for mechs?

I have mostly Fogstar batteries but cannot find Fogstar CDR's for 18650s or 21700s in the battery tables I have found.

First, keep a running list of what batteries you've changed the wrap on and what the wraps are - for instance:

(2) Samsung VTC5A = cartoon pickle wrap, purchased 9/1/2019

(2) Samsung 25r = green Camouflage wrap, purchased 2/5/2020

And always wrap the same brand/size from the same purchase batch the same... and other batches differently.

For instance you DON'T want

(2) Sony VTC5A = green Camouflage wrap, purchased 9/1/2019

(2) Samsung 25r = green Camouflage wrap, purchased 2/5/2020

If you must wrap all your batteries the same then use a label maker to label each battery directly, on the wrap itself.

As far as factory rebranded re-wrap seconds, you can't know what they were originally, it's why people tell you all the time to buy the actual batteries (Sony, Samsung) from reliable wholesalers...especially when using mechs...

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I think the OP means s/he rewrapped the batteries themselves.

Oh bother. Reading comprehension failure on my part.

I think it would be best to get new batteries for your mechs (and keep track of them when you rewrap them - @Opinionated's tips are good, I have a cheap label maker I use for rewrapped batteries, and some people write on the wrap in sharpie).

I don't think there's any sure way to identify a battery you've rewrapped. Some batteries have markings or serial numbers on the can that identify the model, but many don't. Besides, if they're older the CDR may not be accurate anymore.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Relatively speaking, batteries are cheap. Best thing to do is get new, more reputable OEM batts (not rewraps) and relegate your Fogstars to your 18650/21700 flashlights. Don't have any of these flashlights, you say? Well now you have a reason to buy one :lol:

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Oh bother. Reading comprehension failure on my part.

I think it would be best to get new batteries for your mechs (and keep track of them when you rewrap them - @Opinionated's tips are good, I have a cheap label maker I use for rewrapped batteries, and some people write on the wrap in sharpie).

I don't think there's any sure way to identify a battery you've rewrapped. Some batteries have markings or serial numbers on the can that identify the model, but many don't. Besides, if they're older the CDR may not be accurate anymore.
    I buy clear wraps. THen write what the battery is on the case and wrap over it LOL.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread