What to expect with salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4tn

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
I’m a long time vaper. I have been vaping 83/27 PG/VG juice with 12-16 mg nic. I use an avacado tank with dual Clapton coils at .3 ohms and around 50-60 watts. With this config I can get my most desirable lung hit but only with certain juices and I tend to chain vape. Whenever the shop is out of my regular juice I’m always Leary picking something new because a lot of times even at the same nic level I don’t get the satisfying lung hit I crave and end up with a sore throat from hitting it so often. Soo... I moved to Hawaii and my system is all screwed up. The juices here are all 50/50 so super watery, the juice is also double the price, I burn through it twice as fast, the lung hit is barely there, and it pops and crackles really loud which drives my wife nuts and has cuased many arguments about my “stupid crack pipe”. So in an effort to make my wife happier, spend less money, and maybe vape less I decided to venture into the salts realm.

I started with a geek bar to test the waters and lung hit was phenomenal! But at $20 a pop and only lasting a day that just wasn’t going to work. So after much research I just picked up a SMOK NORD 2 and some 48mg juice. I set it for 50 watts and took my first drag. Good god almighty! One hit and I caught a buzz. I have NEVER caught a buzz from a vape before. After some messing around I dialed it down to 25 watts and so far seems like the sweet spot and I don’t have the urge to chain vape... so success? I don’t know yet? It’s for sure a lot quieter and 1/4 the size of my tank MOD. Does going from chain vaping 16mg to 48 salt nic seem excessive or about right? I may try the 24mg juice when this one is out but any other suggestions? I’m a little worried I’m going to give myself nic poisoning after that first drag lol

Last edited:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
Though you probably won't get nic poisoning from 1 puff, 48mg e-liquid wasn't made for vaping at high Watts. Juuls started the salt stuff & they're only 7W, i think. Also, you didn't set a Nord 2 for 50W; they only go as high as 40. Maybe a typo but 40 is still high for salts so you're better off at the 25 or lower. Are you DLing? That's not recommended w/ high nic concentrations.

Suggestions...
Use the higher Ohm Nord coils for your Nord 2 when using such high mg e-liquid & stay within or close to the coils' Watt rating. The 0.8 Ohm Nord coil that came in your kit is rated for 16W. You can get 1.2 Ohm Nord coils, too, which are what's usually recommended for high mg salts.
Listen to your body; the start of any unpleasant feeling (headache, queasiness, lightheadedness, etc.) means put down the vape.
Remind your wife that your 'stupid crack pipe' is a lot less risky than cigarettes. :)

Don't understand why you'd say 50/50 e-liquid is 'super watery' when you said you were vaping 83/27 PG/VG. Higher PG is more watery...?

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I’m a long time vaper. I have been vaping 83/27 PG/VG juice with 12-16 mg nic. I use an avacado tank with dual Clapton coils at .3 ohms and around 50-60 watts. With this config I can get my most desirable lung hit but only with certain juices and I tend to chain vape. Whenever the shop is out of my regular juice I’m always Leary picking something new because a lot of times even at the same nic level I don’t get the satisfying lung hit I crave and end up with a sore throat from hitting it so often. Soo... I moved to Hawaii and my system is all screwed up. The juices here are all 50/50 so super watery, the juice is also double the price, I burn through it twice as fast, the lung hit is barely there, and it pops and crackles really loud which drives my wife nuts and has cuased many arguments about my “stupid crack pipe”. So in an effort to make my wife happier, spend less money, and maybe vape less I decided to venture into the salts realm.

I started with a geek bar to test the waters and lung hit was phenomenal! But at $20 a pop and only lasting a day that just wasn’t going to work. So after much research I just picked up a SMOK NORD 2 and some 48mg juice. I set it for 50 watts and took my first drag. Good god almighty! One hit and I caught a buzz. I have NEVER caught a buzz from a vape before. After some messing around I dialed it down to 25 watts and so far seems like the sweet spot and I don’t have the urge to chain vape... so success? I don’t know yet? It’s for sure a lot quieter and 1/4 the size of my tank MOD. Does going from chain vaping 16mg to 48 salt nic seem excessive or about right? I may try the 24mg juice when this one is out but any other suggestions? I’m a little worried I’m going to give myself nic poisoning after that first drag lol

I wouldn't worry about it.

If you get nauseated and feel off stop vaping for a while, but you've been vaping long enough to know when something is wrong. (E.g. such as knowing you shouldn't have gotten a buzz from vaping)

If your not getting sick or buzzed and not craving nicotine and vaping a reasonable amount of puffs it sounds like you found the spot that works for you with this juice and mod combination.

Nothing else matters but that. Just don't vape that juice @ 50 watts..

If you want to understand more about salt nicotine versus free base nicotine I just posted this in another thread and it may help you understand more about the topic:

Nic salts and DL hits?

^^ link to more informative post

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    A few notes from my own experience:

- PG is like water, VG is like syrup. I use %100VG and add water to it
    - Salts/freebase: at the same nicotine concentration, salts will be smoother and have less throat hit but will be absorbed easier by your body. I regularly vape 18mg freebase and once mixed up a batch of 18mg salts and noticed I got a buzz off of it.

- Last but not least, while salts was invented for low wattage and output devices to be used at high MG nicotine concentrations, there is nothing wrong with using high MG concentrations in higher wattage and output devices - you just have to be careful. I would not recommend chain vaping 50mg salts in a high output DL device. :)

(my morning vape is 50mg salts %100VG @400F with a Eleaf Lemo2.)

g.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread