DIY Salt juices and DIY coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
So I've got a bit of a convoluted question. I've been vaping for about 8 years and followed most of the trends. Spent a fair amount of time in deep subohm territory with freebase juice, low nic levels, lots of thick flavorful clouds. Over the last two years I've gravitated towards the salt juices with the tiny mods and PIP coils. The cost of replacement coils is getting annoying when combined with the cost of salt nicotine juices in comparison to the freebase bottles I used to buy. To address this I've tried building my own high ohm coils on the SMOK Rpm rebuildable head. Results have been less than satisfactory.

For what ever reason, even when I can block the airflow and build a high ohm coil..the flavors in salt nicotine always taste awful, nothing like what they taste like in the rpm 1.0 coil. As near as I can tell, the only reason I can think of is the different style of wicks..inner cool wick for a DIY vrs outer wick for the smok prebuilts.

This got me thinking of building a juice that's a bit heavier and smoother with a higher vg content and flavor content to work in a DIY coil (prob something simple like a single 26-28 gauge spaced wrap) but still pack some of the nic punch (sans throat hit) as a salt based juice..and will still work in a pod device. I'm thinking it would probably need to be in the 12-15mg nic range to get a similar buzz as the 25-35mg nice I usually vape at low power.

Is this even feasible..or are the flavors and thickness of the old style free base juices incompatible with salt based nicotine? A 40pg/60vg juice with a 12-15mg salt nic level that will work on a .8 single coil at 10-15 watts or so I think. And not taste awful.

In my state it's becoming problematic to source flavors other then basic tobacco.. so it might be time to go strictly DIY with a pod type device.

Thoughts?

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I have been pleased with the mechlyfe rpm rba coil and salt nik. I use 28 ga. kanthall 2.5mm at about 1 to 1.2 ohms. I tried one and liked it so I got a couple more. The bottom unscrews so you can screw into a 510 to preheat the coil too. I never tried the smok one, but these only cost me $5 a piece. I mix the salt nik at about 50/50 pg/vg

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While I have both freebase and salts based nic in stock (both use a %100VG base) and mix with both (one at a time) I find that even with unflavored %100 VG blend I can only hit/vape 18-24mg of freebase while I regularly vape 50mg unflavored salts. (these are with normal RTA's with subohm coils that are temperature regulated)

The salts nicotine has much less throat hit than the freebase nicotine does.

I'd suggest going pure DIY as it gives you complete control over the mix. When I use flavoring most of my mixes have less than %5 flavor added (one or two have up to %10) so a bottle of flavoring from stores like bull city last a long time.

I'd also suggest going temperature regulated (TC) so you can control your vape.

g.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread