Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
did you mean acetone? as in the paint and finger nail polish remover? I personally wouldnt use it in a vaping senerio. As far as being toxic, it can be at the right dosage... but then again, everything can be toxic in the "right" amount.

Dont you mean Wrong Amount?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
what brand of liquid are you using? That might help, and are you sure of the actual chemicals name?
There is Acetone and then there is a food additive called Acetoin

according to wikipedia
Acetoin, also known as 3-hydroxybutanone or acetyl methyl carbinol, with the molecular formula is C₄H₈O₂, is a colorless or pale yellow to green yellow liquid with a pleasant, buttery odor. Acetoin is a chiral molecule.Wikipedia

Here is another page I found, guess its common in foods and fragrances

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Someone know study/know more about acetoin and acetylpropionyl in liquids?

There aren't any conclusive studies on acetoin and other diketones, especially when used in juice, and realistically there won't be any time soon. Epidemiology is hard, and there are things about this question that make good epidemiological studies very difficult to undertake. The most conservative choice would be to avoid diketones in all but trace quantities, and that's not very difficult to do.

My (very much layman's) take on this is that diketones are probably not a very significant hazard even to vapers who do not try to avoid them. But I have been wrong before (on a number of occasions ;) ,) and I must admit that I am probably biased toward that conclusion. It's really the sort of thing you'll need to do your own research on, and thinking about, if you're concerned about it.

Reactions: Str8vision

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
If these members are that concerned then don't vape!

Or, y'know, don't vape things that contain significant amounts of diketones. Of the flavorings I have for DIY I'd guess that less than 10-20% contain more than trace amounts and I did not go out of my way to avoid them. If I were concerned I would still be able to happily mix lots of good things without those flavors, even without their DX/V2 variations.

I think you're right though- an acquaintance of mine (a heavy smoker to boot) came by my house while I was mixing on my patio, a while back. The next time I saw him the first thing he said was "I've been reading about vaping. Have you heard of Popcorn Lung?" SMDH. I wasn't even using CAP VCV1 that day!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Or, y'know, don't vape things that contain significant amounts of diketones. Of the flavorings I have for DIY I'd guess that less than 10-20% contain more than trace amounts and I did not go out of my way to avoid them. If I were concerned I would still be able to happily mix lots of good things without those flavors, even without their DX/V2 variations.

I think you're right though- an acquaintance of mine (a heavy smoker to boot) came by my house while I was mixing on my patio, a while back. The next time I saw him the first thing he said was "I've been reading about vaping. Have you heard of Popcorn Lung?" SMDH. I wasn't even using CAP VCV1 that day!

Obliterative Bronchiolitis
is a real thing and my father suffered from it due to Emphysema and it caused a collapsed lung. So I had to run Oxygen lines through the house for him but you do not get it from vaping and the amount of exposure to the chemicals that could cause it is way more than you can vape in your lifetime.

Reactions: go_player

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA

Obliterative Bronchiolitis
is a real thing and my father suffered from it due to Emphysema and it caused a collapsed lung. So I had to run Oxygen lines through the house for him but you do not get it from vaping and the amount of exposure to the chemicals that could cause it is way more than you can vape in your lifetime.

I was not suggesting that it was not a real thing, and I'm very sorry to hear about your father. My point was that my friend, who smokes very heavily, had gone on an internet hunt and decided that vaping was terribly dangerous, because "Popcorn Lung." There was an unpleasant smirk in how he said it... like "hey, you think what you're doing is safer than what I'm doing, but: Popcorn Lung!"

I've also had some experience with illness. My Mom died of lung cancer a few years ago. She'd quit smoking fifteen years before, and I kind of thought she was out of the woods, but... I think it likely that if she had vaped juice containing diketones instead of smoking for all those years she'd still be alive.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have all my flavors on a spreadsheet in a list and then in the recipe. I took that list, went to two on-line flavor dealers that indicated ingredients in the flavor and wrote down what my flavors had in them.

Looking at the recipes, I am considering if a better quality flavor, from a different maker, can replace the flavor that I am using.

It is slow, but, I am working on making my recipes a little better. It is a part of the hobby. A chef, as compared to a simple cook, does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread