Acetion

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
What brands I mean? candy caramel from Flavor west or caramel candy from TPA, much more brands have it in flavor.

Well, TFA has detailed ingredient lists available here: Perfumer's Apprentice . IIRC FA claims to not use diketones in any of their flavors anymore, but I might be mis-remembering (or maybe thinking of FLV.) Capella's V2 flavors are supposed to be free of diketones. Inawera won't tell you a thing in this regard, so if you want to avoid diketones don't buy INW flavors that seem like they might contain them.

That said, they have a pretty distinctive taste (which is why they are used.) Get a couple of CAP v1 flavors, a couple of the corresponding v2 flavors, make small testers of them and compare side-by-side. You'll learn their taste, and will probably always have a pretty good idea of whether or not they are present in any juice you later vape.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I was not suggesting that it was not a real thing, and I'm very sorry to hear about your father. My point was that my friend, who smokes very heavily, had gone on an internet hunt and decided that vaping was terribly dangerous, because "Popcorn Lung." There was an unpleasant smirk in how he said it... like "hey, you think what you're doing is safer than what I'm doing, but: Popcorn Lung!"

I've also had some experience with illness. My Mom died of lung cancer a few years ago. She'd quit smoking fifteen years before, and I kind of thought she was out of the woods, but... I think it likely that if she had vaped juice containing diketones instead of smoking for all those years she'd still be alive.

I was not saying you said it was not a real thing but many think it is only for popcorn factory workers. Since I have dealt with it in real life so writing it off, nothing bothers me more. (He never worked in a popcorn factory!)

Thank you for the concern but he is still with me and doing well! Making me crazy but that is what the big guy upstairs put him here for, right?

Reactions: go_player

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I was not saying you said it was not a real thing but many think it is only for popcorn factory workers. Since I have dealt with it in real life so writing it off, nothing bothers me more. (He never worked in a popcorn factory!)

Thank you for the concern but he is still with me and doing well! Making me crazy but that is what the big guy upstairs put him here for, right?

Ah, I'm glad to hear he's still around to drive you crazy ;). My Mom was... well, she was a sort of impossible person in many ways, and definitely made me and my sister a bit crazy at times. She was a lovely person for all of her insanity though, and I do miss her.

I take your point about the disease itself, and I'm not casually dismissing it, and certainly not denying its existence. Lung diseases are a serious matter, whether cancer, obliterans, emphysema, or the diseases the West Virginia coal miners on one branch of my family tree so often died of.

That said, I think it important that we keep these risks in perspective. Honesty should compel us to to note that there might be some real risks associated with vaping, and that that might be particularly true when vaping diketones. We can't rule that possibility out. But I think we should not lose sight of the fact that very little, if any, measurable harm has been observed in vapers in the decade or so people have been vaping, diketones or no. OTOH, millions of people have very observably died prematurely just in the US from the effects of smoking (and drinking, etc.) over that period.

I know I'm preaching to the choir- I don't imagine we disagree on many substantial points. I just don't like the fact that my acquaintance went off, searched the Internet, and came back talking about "Popcorn Lung," with a cigarette in his mouth. Obliterans is clearly a real condition, but it is not one that has been tied to vaping, and I must admit that I resent the association, as well as the libel against CAP VCV1 ;).

EDIT: And just to reiterate, read this post: Popcorn Lung and the VA . SMDH when medical professionals can't be bothered to know much about what really is the most significant question in "public health," and in the health of many of their patients, especially since my guess is that the VA deals with both more smokers and more vapers than average.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread