Adding distilled water to Diy e liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
hey guys, wassup!
So, I've been mixing up my own batch of juice lately. Things have been working out fine but its still not as good as the retail e liquids.
I use the steam engine calculator for juice mixing. I add 20% flavour from flavorah, I've tried a 80/20 vg/pg, I've also mixed 70/30 the pg seems to hit too hard. At a higher vg content, it becomes too viscous and heavy.
Should I mix in some de-ionized water see if it helps, I'm guessing the juice would wick better.
I wonder if this is a common for amateurs, it'll be smashing if anyone can help.
Thanks in advance

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
hey guys, wassup!
So, I've been mixing up my own batch of juice lately. Things have been working out fine but its still not as good as the retail e liquids.
I use the steam engine calculator for juice mixing. I add 20% flavour from flavorah, I've tried a 80/20 vg/pg, I've also mixed 70/30 the pg seems to hit too hard. At a higher vg content, it becomes too viscous and heavy.
Should I mix in some de-ionized water see if it helps, I'm guessing the juice would wick better.
I wonder if this is a common for amateurs, it'll be smashing if anyone can help.
Thanks in advance
I used 80 VG/10Pg/10water a while ago. All this thing about high VG juice... It was not bad. Water definitely helps with wicking.
However I am using 50VG/50PG now, and for me it's much (MUCH) better.

Reactions: ENAUD

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I tried distilled water but the throat hit's kind of brutal.
A few people suggested saline for inhalation and it has almost no added TH IMO.
I've been using 3-5% saline in my 85-87VG/10% flavoring(PG) mix since last year.
I asked my doctor about using saline and he said it should be no problem.
The amount of salt in my mix should be insignificant.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I used 80 VG/10Pg/10water a while ago. All this thing about high VG juice... It was not bad. Water definitely helps with wicking.
However I am using 50VG/50PG now, and for me it's much (MUCH) better.
I'm interested in your opinion... Why do you feel it's better? Better flavor(because heigtened PG) or better wicking?

I used 50/50 for over a year when started vaping, but the PG taste can be tasted easilly in this ratio imho(ethanol'ish/bitter)...

For me, PG and VG dries me out equally(sorry, unrelated ;) ), which isn't that bad and pretty rare and I just go by taste-preference.... Alot of the young crowd just goes for max-vg because of clouds i'm sure, without even knowing which they would specifically prefer when tested thoroughly...

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
hey guys, wassup!
Thanks in advance
I have to wonder if the harshness you're getting is due to too much flavoring. 20% Flavorah is a very high percentage since most of them are recommended at about 2% to start.
As for adding distilled water, I routinely add it up to 10% for mid to high VG. IMO it helps the flavors meld together better.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I'm interested in your opinion... Why do you feel it's better? Better flavor(because heigtened PG) or better wicking?

I used 50/50 for over a year when started vaping, but the PG taste can be tasted easilly in this ratio imho(ethanol'ish/bitter)...

For me, PG and VG dries me out equally(sorry, unrelated ;) ), which isn't that bad and pretty rare and I just go by taste-preference.... Alot of the young crowd just goes for max-vg because of clouds i'm sure, without even knowing which they would specifically prefer when tested thoroughly...
Much better wicking.
No coughing. With high VG I started to cough, may be twice a day (phlegm in my throat...) My wife was becoming antzy, because I never coughed when I was smoking.

Reactions: mhertz

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I tried distilled water but the throat hit's kind of brutal.
A few people suggested saline for inhalation and it has almost no added TH IMO.
I've been using 3-5% saline in my 85-87VG/10% flavoring(PG) mix since last year.
I asked my doctor about using saline and he said it should be no problem.
The amount of salt in my mix should be insignificant.
To clarify - I use 10% flavoring from a different company.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
I have to wonder if the harshness you're getting is due to too much flavoring. 20% Flavorah is a very high percentage since most of them are recommended at about 2% to start.
As for adding distilled water, I routinely add it up to 10% for mid to high VG. IMO it helps the flavors meld together better.
Yeah I thought mixing 20% flavour would be OK seeing its pg based. I end up mixing it down considerably ( I can usually fix the strength) with vg and pg. plus I definitely must have got the numbers mixed up.
I don't mind experimenting a little on this side of things, at least I don't have to worry too much about the batteries blowing up in my face! Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread