Always wondered what causes crackling/popping during vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocterum

Nov 17, 2016
I've noticed that with the new istick 200w (i run it really low, using a .3 atomizer non modded, 3 samsung 25r batteries) crackles and pops to the point that it is slightly painful. I've had different vapes over the past two years but I don't "mod" and am not extremely knowedgable about all this stuff.

Not all my mods do this. Maybe my coil is old? Or getting oil? There's enough juice and everything too.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've noticed that with the new Istick 200w (i run it really low, using a .3 atomizer non modded, 3 samsung 25r batteries) crackles and pops to the point that it is slightly painful. I've had different vapes over the past two years but I don't "mod" and am not extremely knowedgable about all this stuff.

Not all my mods do this. Maybe my coil is old? Or getting oil? There's enough juice and everything too.
Coil overheating or part of the coil getting hotter than the rest or not enough liquid in contact with the coil to keep it cool because of slow wicking. I want some sizzle off the coil but not popping and cracking. To get that I clean and rewick every couple of days. I use temp control which prevents overheating so long as the coil resistance is read properly and there are not hot spots.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I've wondered about the same thing myself and my best guess, based soley on my logic, is as follows;

Firstly the popping and cracking are likely 2 different things happening, though they may happen for the similar reasons.

The popping is easier to figure out I think. Obviously it happens due to heat, it is the sound of expanding gas escaping quickly. The only place I can think of that would trap such gas for any amount of time, thus giving it the ability to expand quickly enough to actually pop would be in the wicking inside the coil. Ideally only the juice in contact with the coil should be being heated but realistically some of that heat will be transferred to the juice still inside the wicking but not in contact with the coil. Enough build up of heat and the juice turns to gas and with no place to go it builds pressure until in can escape, with a pop. How it escapes, through the coil ends or sides I don't know but given this logic it suggests there are several factors that can contribute to more or less popping and maybe someone some day could run tests to determine how to minimize the problem. These factors would include;
- size of the coil, both length and diameter
- tightness vs stretch on the coils of wire
- wicking material
- tight vs loose wicking
- volume of juice actually in the wicking of the coil
- ramp up time of the wire itself
- time of power on vs off
- frequency of firing
Well that's all I can think of at the moment though I'm sure there is more.

The sizzling, cracking, and spitting is most likely also effected by many of the above factors. It appears to be more related to the interaction of the juice in contact with the coil wire itself. I suspect its presence suggests there is too much juice there but I'm sure it is also directly related to both heat/power and heat flux.

One of the reasons why a big solid atty like a Billow or a Boreas is nice is that the popping, crackling, sizzling, and spitting dosen't bother you very much because it is all very much muted. Unlike say a Theorem where with the close proximity of your mouth to the coil and where a good loud pop can scare the bejesus out of you and put lots of juice on your tongue (which is not necessarily a bad thing if you like the taste).

Reactions: TheTinMan

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
For some reason tanks such as the Cubis do spit a lot.
The coils used are likely to blame for whatever reason(design).
I find it worse when the device has been sitting for an extended period, running low power, or when the device has been in a warm place (direct sunlight).

There are many ways to minimize spitting and one will need to employ numerous solutions to minimize it.

As well as trying to avoid the previously mentioned,
we want to keep any excess liquid out of the chimney. Drawing for an extra couple seconds after releasing the fire button will help evacuate any left over vapour in the chimney. There are also anti-spitback drip tips available that may help.
A narrower tip may also help if you don't mind a little tighter draw.

You did not mention which tank you are using? Cheers.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Crackles and occasional pops are fairly normal. Sizzling is more the sound to expect.
When you say you run it low, how low? A 0.3ohm coil is going to be a juice-sucking coil and really wet coils can pop and spit. If I juice up a dripping atomizer and really wet those coils, I press the fire button and keep away for the initial burst!
So, for me, given my experience with RDAs I am saying too much liquid on the coil is the reason for pops and spits.

Nocterum

Nov 17, 2016
Coil overheating or part of the coil getting hotter than the rest or not enough liquid in contact with the coil to keep it cool because of slow wicking. I want some sizzle off the coil but not popping and cracking. To get that I clean and rewick every couple of days. I use temp control which prevents overheating so long as the coil resistance is read properly and there are not hot spots.

I don't build my own coils though. Is there a way to rewick premade ones?

Nocterum

Nov 17, 2016
For some reason tanks such as the Cubis do spit a lot.
The coils used are likely to blame for whatever reason(design).
I find it worse when the device has been sitting for an extended period, running low power, or when the device has been in a warm place (direct sunlight).

There are many ways to minimize spitting and one will need to employ numerous solutions to minimize it.

As well as trying to avoid the previously mentioned,
we want to keep any excess liquid out of the chimney. Drawing for an extra couple seconds after releasing the fire button will help evacuate any left over vapour in the chimney. There are also anti-spitback drip tips available that may help.
A narrower tip may also help if you don't mind a little tighter draw.

You did not mention which tank you are using? Cheers.

Eleaf Ijust 2 and thanks for the info.

Nocterum

Nov 17, 2016
Crackles and occasional pops are fairly normal. Sizzling is more the sound to expect.
When you say you run it low, how low? A 0.3ohm coil is going to be a juice-sucking coil and really wet coils can pop and spit. If I juice up a dripping atomizer and really wet those coils, I press the fire button and keep away for the initial burst!
So, for me, given my experience with RDAs I am saying too much liquid on the coil is the reason for pops and spits.
I run it (since its a kanthal) on the VW setting, anywhere from 25-40 watts. I fire it frequently as well and vape very frequently

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Some popping/crackling is normal, if it's getting into your mouth and/or burning you that's an issue. This is what's going on inside your atomizer potentially so it's not surprising really. Follow the advice already given.

ZrWdbrg.jpg

Reactions: mongo74

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I run it (since its a kanthal) on the VW setting, anywhere from 25-40 watts. I fire it frequently as well and vape very frequently

I would say it's possible that is not strong enough for a 0.3ohm coil.
Put it this way... Eleaf make a tank for the iJust2. It uses the EC 0.3ohm head and runs at 59 watts off the charger.
I'm not saying this for sure, but they design these coils for certain power ranges and those power ranges are often 'optimistic' at both ends of the range. It could be too soggy... it really could.

Oh... it IS an iJust2 tank you are using (just read).... well, there could be something in my theory. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Funny I don't remember my Ijust2 tanks to ever do much popping or spitting and I normally run the .03 coil in them, they're usually pretty smooth & quiet. Good clouds but muted flavor.

Do you use them on the iJust battery? This is my question really... they are designed to work at up to 60w. I had the pleasure of sampling 40+ e-liquids at Vapefest UK 2016... all of them were in brand new iJust2 e-cigs. The liquids were great and the iJusts were flawless... but they were all new and fully charged of course.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Popping and crackling is caused by the water expanding when it reaches boiling point.
As PG/VG are both thicker than water they they will tend to inhibit this expansion.
Think of a pot of thick sauce coming to a boil when the bubbles pop at the surface.

As explained wicking and,coil construction and alleviate this. Adding 1 or 2% distilled water
to very thick juice helps. Not topping off standard ce5's and iclear16's type cartomizers
seems to help immensely for me.
Regards
Mike

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Do you use them on the iJust battery? This is my question really... they are designed to work at up to 60w. I had the pleasure of sampling 40+ e-liquids at Vapefest UK 2016... all of them were in brand new iJust2 e-cigs. The liquids were great and the iJusts were flawless... but they were all new and fully charged of course.

I used them only on their own mods up until the switches died and they became garbage. Now I put them on any mod and adjust the power to whatever seems best given their performance. I agree they are surprisingly good little tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread