Why do my coils/wicks pop & crackle like crazy? (mini explosions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Dallas,Tx
Go get a cheap meter so you *know* what your resistance is. Really, they're cheap.

I suspect you're boiling your juice instead of vaporizing it, but not knowing your resistance means nobody here can help you.

Yea I got a Vamo on order which I will then be able to check my ohms once it comes in. However I noticed that Harbor Freight has cheap multimeters on sale for $4.99. So I am gonna stop after work today, and pick one up just to play with to see what the ohms on my coils are.

Though I have never checked ohms with a multimeter. Can anyone tell me the proper way of checking the ohms on my coils with a multimeter?

Last edited:

MJMcMahon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Boise, ID, USA
Yea I got a Vamo on order which I will then be able to check my ohms once it comes in. However I noticed that Harbor Freight has cheap multimeters on sale for $4.99. So I am gonna stop after work today, and pick one up just to play with to see what the ohms on my coils are.

Though I have never checked ohms with a multimeter. Can anyone tell me the proper way of checking the ohms on my coils with a multimeter?

Just touch the leads to the posts on the RBA and you should get your reading.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Red lead (which is positive) to the very center post, and black lead (negative) to the threads... Make sure the DMM is set to ohms (resistance), in correct range, if not autoranging.

At least, that's what I've been doing, LOL.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373481984.633665.jpg

sk8mdw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Texas
Red lead (which is positive) to the very center post, and black lead (negative) to the threads... Make sure the DMM is set to ohms (resistance), in correct range, if not autoranging.

At least, that's what I've been doing, LOL.

View attachment 229578

And before you do this hold the black and red leads touching each other until the number stabilizes on your meter. You will need to subtract this number from the resistence that is measured when you test by touching the positive and negative posts of your atty.

So if you hold red and black together and get 0.5 on your display, then test your coil and get 2.0, your actual resistance is 1.5. I hope that this makes sense! :)

Reactions: DaveP

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
And before you do this hold the black and red leads touching each other until the number stabilizes on your meter. You will need to subtract this number from the resistence that is measured when you test by touching the positive and negative posts of your atty.

So if you hold red and black together and get 0.5 on your display, then test your coil and get 2.0, your actual resistance is 1.5. I hope that this makes sense! :)

Ok, I did forget that tiny detail... Thanks for the catch sk8! I'm used to the Flukemeters I use at work, don't have to do that on those when testing components. Yup, what sk8 said, touch them together to find out the internal resistance first, subtract that from what you measure on your setup. Good luck!

Exile

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Dallas,Tx
Finally!!!

10/12 wrap micro coil with 28g Kanthal & 100% cotton wick

It seems like the lower I kept positioning the coil down in the atomizer in front of the air flow hole the better things started to get. So after positioning the coil down as low as I cold possibly get it, and then drilling the air flow hole out bigger with a 1/16 drill bit, I am now blowing monster clouds of super smooth vapor! Success!!! :vapor:

Reactions: Packer Rob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread