And it begins... Motion to begin the perpetual ad-hoc meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this to Webby in a PM, but I think it needs to be shared here as well: We might need to have some discussion about what it means to be a "supplier" on the CASAA board. Obviously things are going to change dramatically as the legal status is determined, but although I am not currently in any e-cig industry I'm strongly considering keeping some extra product on hand for when people ask questions and I have some marketing ideas that if nobody steals I may someday have to start my own e-cig business...so if I am elected to the board, I want to make we have a clear line as to what is a true "supplier" or manufacturer, versus pretty much anyone who could be an "independent distributer" by typing their name into a web form somewhere.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
so if I am elected to the board, I want to make we have a clear line as to what is a true "supplier" or manufacturer, versus pretty much anyone who could be an "independent distributer" by typing their name into a web form somewhere.

I think you're pretty safe on that call, but we can certainly have some sort of documented reasonable level. I would think a large portion of users may buy a few extra kits and resell them, that hardly makes them suppliers.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Can we use the term "vendor" vs. "supplier" please? I know it's semantics, but that's half the battle - public perception. I would like to avoid the use of "supplier," "cigarette" and "juice" if at all possible.

Anyhow, you have manufacturers (make them) and you have vendors (sell them only), right? One makes them, one sells them. Did you want to distinguish them by volume of sales or something?

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
The important thing to me is that the board not be comprised of any more than 3 persons currently selling, distributing, or marketing e-cigarettes. If a status of a board member changes from consumer to reseller, it may not be in conflict with the current rules, if they are not also involved in the marketing or advertising of e-cigarettes.

My thoughts are that if a board member becomes someone selling and marketing electronic cigarettes, that would create conflict with our rules.

So, supplier/distributor/vendor could be defined as someone who sells and markets e-cigarettes?

I like "vendor" too.

Last edited:
I think you're pretty safe on that call, but we can certainly have some sort of documented reasonable level. I would think a large portion of users may buy a few extra kits and resell them, that hardly makes them suppliers.

There are some obvious extremes, and mtndude made a good point that if a board member became a reseller it does not have to affect their status. Since being a vendor has a tendency to make you an advocate, it seems that being an advocate makes one a prime candidate to be a vendor.

I hope I'll be forgiven for the negative backlash the following statement could draw, but it occurs to me that e-cigarettes are a strong candidate for alternate marketing plans including "multilevel marketing". In these cases, the idea is to turn nearly every user into a distributor.

Perhaps this concern is premature since if there is a vendor using an MLM model, it is not yet a major player...but the business side of e-cigarettes is so very young that significant paradigm changes should be expected. For example, we could possibly get legal protection established for using PV's as a freedom of religion if anorganization were to incorporate vaping in a faith-based ritual.

What I would then suggest is that the "line" determining if someone is an industry professional might be related to whether or not a candidate is working full-time at an executive level for a business that generates a significant portion of their their profit from products covered by the CASAA mission statement. By this I mean I don't think we care if a board member works on a tobacco farm or mixes their own liquid and sells it at a flea market on the weekends, but we want some "checks and balances" protection from undue bias from more than 3 board members having professional ties that could constitute a conflict of interest.

Along with the limit of no more than 3 board members working full-time in a directly related industry, I would also suggest that the board should consist of no more than one person from any given vendor.

It has been previously suggested that CASAA might offer vendors a "Seal of Approval" if they can show their business practice meets our safety and ethics standards. I would suggest that an official endorsement like that should require a unanimous vote, so no more than one member at a time should need to recuse themself from such a vote.

The marketing models established by businesses like Amway, Mary Kay, Primerica, and Mona Vie seem a natural fit for personal vaporizers. PV's effect lives in such a way that home meetings, direct shipping, and subscribed refills might be more effective than retail space, online ordering, or behind the counter refills. If we get an unfavorable ruling in a legal case, the MLM subculture mentality (if you follow my meaning) would be ideal for disseminating information and making corrections to marketing materials, for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread