Another eCig Blew Up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
Google has just informed me that someone experienced an ecig blowing up on them... again. It seems like there have been a lot of these kind of reports over the last couple months, I'm not sure if it's because Google Now on my phone has decided I'm interested in them (and is showing me them more often), if the media is just talking about them more, or if there are truely more of these incidents recently.

At first I just assumed they were due to user error. Using a bad/cheap battery charger, bad/cheap batteries, or the wrong batteries for their build, but with the number of incidents I've read about, now I've started to wonder if that's true or not.

So to all the ecig vets and safety pros, what is your take on this? Are these explosions, fires, etc. generally all caused by one of the following?

Using a cheap/bad battery charger that doesn't stop charging when full, or charges at too high of a rate

Using bad batteries (from a bad manufacturer)

Using the wrong batteries (wrong amperage for the resistance of their coil)

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm sort of wondering about my own safety now. If the recent incidents are due to the things above, then I know I should be fine now and what to be careful about in the future. However if there is something else that can be causing these problems, I would like to know about it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not aware of any charger that's capable of charging at too high a rate, i.e. a current level that's dangerous to the battery. But using the wrong charger or a defective one can charge a battery to an excessive voltage and that IS dangerous.

Some incidents are probably due to excessively low ohm builds on batteries that can't handle the discharge current, but it's pretty difficult to get a battery to fail catastrophically by pulsing it as we do, and you'd have to ignore the obviously overheating battery for a while before things got critical. I suspect most in-use (as opposed to while charging) failures are due to people doing stupid stuff like using "hybrid" top caps with atties that aren't suited to them.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
He might be refering to this story. Dad reveals horror after e-cigarette exploded and set his face on fire
There is a photo of a burned mod that appear to be an iStick. It looks like it burned for a prolonged period, enought to burn through the case but no explosion per se. Time for some accident forensics.

I would like to understand an event like this better. I have an iStick 50 that is still in occaisional service. My brother has an iStick 20 and an iStick 40 that are inservice.

Going forward I'm only geting mods with repalcable cells and any overnight charging will be in an external charger. Any onboard charging will be limited to when I'm present.

Last edited:

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Google has just informed me that someone experienced an ecig blowing up on them... again. It seems like there have been a lot of these kind of reports over the last couple months, I'm not sure if it's because Google Now on my phone has decided I'm interested in them (and is showing me them more often), if the media is just talking about them more, or if there are truely more of these incidents recently.

At first I just assumed they were due to user error. Using a bad/cheap battery charger, bad/cheap batteries, or the wrong batteries for their build, but with the number of incidents I've read about, now I've started to wonder if that's true or not.

So to all the ecig vets and safety pros, what is your take on this? Are these explosions, fires, etc. generally all caused by one of the following?

Using a cheap/bad battery charger that doesn't stop charging when full, or charges at too high of a rate

Using bad batteries (from a bad manufacturer)

Using the wrong batteries (wrong amperage for the resistance of their coil)

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm sort of wondering about my own safety now. If the recent incidents are due to the things above, then I know I should be fine now and what to be careful about in the future. However if there is something else that can be causing these problems, I would like to know about it.
It comes down to simple battery charging safety, you should always monitor batteries while they are charging, if you can't there's fireproof battery bags and boxes for charging, the guy was overnight charging while sleeping with it beside his bed...

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Fireproof-Storage-Material-30x23cm/dp/B00B5QF9YU

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The media is certainly exploiting these incidents as well. They don't run stories about all the other battery failures (cell phones, lap tops, etc) unless a child gets hurt or a house sustains substantial.fire damage.

So 10 e cig incidents end up with nationwide coverage while thousands of cell phones do not.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
He might be refering to this story. Dad reveals horror after e-cigarette exploded and set his face on fire
There is a photo of a burned mod that appear to be an iStick. It looks like it burned for a prolonged period, enought to burn through the case but no explosion per se. Time for some accident forensics.

I would like to understand an event like this better. I have an iStick 50 that is still in occaisional service. My brother has an iStick 20 and an iStick 40 that are inservice.

Going forward I'm only geting mods with repalcable cells and any overnight charging will be in an external charger. Any onboard charging will be limited to when I'm present.

Read; put on to charge next to his bed..

Never leave charging batteries unattended or overnight. This one could have been avoided

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    and any overnight charging will be in an external charger. Any onboard charging will be limited to when I'm present.
    All battery charging should be 'done in one's presence' and never overnight while Morpheus visits..

Reactions: EBates

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I've now read a couple of stories of mods with built in batteries catching fire. It's time to understand what's happening. Platitudes about don't buy them or always be present during charging don't address causes. Does anyone in the forum have a technical understanding of the factors that push these batteries to fail during charging?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    I've now read a couple of stories of mods with built in batteries catching fire. It's time to understand what's happening. Platitudes about don't buy them or always be present during charging don't address causes. Does anyone in the forum have a technical understanding of the factors that push these batteries to fail during charging?
    I'm by no means an expert, but here is the way it breaks down in my head. Which would you trust more to properly regulate the charging of your batteries, including cutting it off at the proper voltage, and not continuing to try to charge it when full?
    1. A chip in a device whose sole purpose is to charge batteries.
    2. A most likely smaller and cheaper chip on a board within your mod.

Yes, cell phones have onboard charging, but my iPhone has probably $50 worth of parts, whereas an Istick probably has $5. I'm hoping Apple didn't skimp on the charger.

I believe there are a number of issues that can happen while charging. Overcharging, over current, over heating.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    I do think the OP is genuine/has genuine concerns - the same story has just popped up on my Google Newsfeed. That said there is a lot of "jumping on the bandwagon" in the rush to demonise vaping.

I did think, however, just about everyone knew by now not to charge batteries unattended and certainly never in the bedroom overnight while sleeping

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    The precautionary advice comes up over and over but doesn't answer the question of just how it happens. May be it's usually the battery that fails, not the charger. My limited understanding is batteries experience charging and discharging as similar stresses. Lower rates of charging and discharging are preferable other things being equal. When we discharge a battery vaping it's for a few seconds at a time. Charging is continuous for some hours. Prsumably the recharging circuit is supposed to limit the power suppled to the battery so it doesn't overheat. When a battery fails in charging perhaps the charger was delivering the proper power, the onboard chip was regulating it property but the battery overheated never the less. May be what failed is the onboard temperature sensor that's supposed to interupt power over a certain temperature. Does that sensor regulate re charge or only discharge?
    I know from watching pbursardo videos it's possible to get a device that displays the power being delivered to a battery during charging. Would that information be enough to spot every problem or can batteries fail during charging even though cables, chargers, etc. are as they should be. I finally want to know more about these things.

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
    or a defective one can charge a battery to an excessive voltage and that IS dangerous
    Yes sorry, I think this is what I was remembering. Not necessarily a charger pushing out too much current during the charge like I originally said, but not cutting off the charging process when full.

There is no reference/validation for the OP's post.
    Being a new member, I'm not allowed to post links ATM until I have more posts, but I was mainly talking about incidents in general. I'm more interested in reasons why an ecig could explode, catch fire, or otherwise do something "catastrophic", not so much the cause of the specific incident I saw this morning.

New member, first post, exploding batteries............................does make one wonder. :rolleyes:
    Good point :) Yes I'm a new member, but a fairly long-time guest :) I've used these forums a LOT in the past (my Google searches relating to vaping typically begin in "ecf" :)). Whether you guys know it or not, you have helped me solve issues with my original ego constantly leaking, giving bad (weak/dull) hits, advice on box mods, vendors for different purposes, battery chargers, battery types, tanks/cartos/clearos, coil building, and the list could go on. I guess I just felt it was time to jump in on the discussion, and getting more information on these catastrophic incidents was something that has been on my mind for a little while now (especially since this is happening with a device that I carry in my pocket all day long and hold up to my face frequently - not something I want exploding). Yes, similar questions may have already been asked and answered before, but I wanted to ask specifically what's causing these problems, and confirm whether or not I'm aware of the causes so I can take proper precautions. For example, I like saving money like many others here do too, however there has been strong advice against being cheap when purchasing batteries and battery chargers. As a result, I didn't buy the $8 charger and some FastTech batteries. I like saving money, but I also like my face and home :) Had I not been informed of the dangers of being cheap with these things, I would have probably gotten something cheaper. I just want to make sure there aren't any other fire/explosion hazards that I'm not aware of.

The media is certainly exploiting these incidents as well. They don't run stories about all the other battery failures (cell phones, lap tops, etc) unless a child gets hurt or a house sustains substantial.fire damage.
    Good point. A little while back the charging cable to my laptop had a recall on it because apparently a defect was causing fires. Of course that didn't make national news or show up in my Google news feed, though... that wasn't related to vaping :p

All battery charging should be 'done in one's presence' and never overnight
    Can you (or anyone) provide some more clarification on this? It seems like this is one area where there's some somewhat mixed information. For example, you say "never charge unattended or overnight" (which I have seen before). Other people say as long as you don't have a cheap charger, and it is designed to stop charging when the battery is full then you should be fine to charge overnight/unattended (as long as your batteries aren't hot when they're done charging or you notice any other somewhat obvious signs of problems). So what's the right answer? Also, you were clear to specifically mention ALL battery charging should be done while attended and not overnight. My guess would be that most people (or at least many) leave their cell phone charging unattended overnight. Is your post implying that doing this with an ecig is no more dangerous than doing this with a cell phone (provided both are of good quality and not dirt-cheap knockoffs from China)?

I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth or offend anyone, so I hope none of what I have said is taken that way, and yes I am being genuine and have genuine concerns. I'm trying to get a better understanding of these things so I can make well-informed decisions. I should also say that I'm not trying to push my device/setup to its limits and be on the edge of safe and dangerous, I'm just trying to understand what to look out for. For example, I've recently been getting into building my own coils, and it was good to know that with lower ohms, I might need a different battery with different amperage ratings. Granted my coils are at 1.2 ohms and my batteries are fine for the coils I am building TODAY, but if I decide to go with lower ohms in the future, I know that I need to be sure my batteries can handle it.

Also, just to sort of summarize my concerns, the causes of these problems that I've already mentioned seem like they are fairly straightforward and are things that you are commonly warned about. When getting a charger or batteries, people always say don't go cheap. When building coils, people say know Ohm's Law. That being said, it seems like all of the events in the media basically come down to those people should have known better, should have known the risks, and they made the conscious decision to ignore them. If that is the case, then my own safety should be fine, as I'm aware of these risks and I choose not to ignore them. If, however, one can have quality chargers/batteries/ecigs, be cautious of all of these risks and be sure to do "everything right" but still an incident like this happen, then I would like to know that is a possibility.

Would that information be enough to spot every problem or can batteries fail during charging even though cables, chargers, etc. are as they should be. I finally want to know more about these things.
    I think that's exactly what I'm wanting to know. If I do everything right, am I safe or still at risk of a potential fire/explosion? I'm glad an ECF vet has the same concerns that I have :)

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread