Another new guy might be a cloud chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
I have a Kanger Topbox mini that I'm still learning to use. I struggled a bit learning about the color of the seals on the coils but settled on the red seal. I tend to choke quite a bit for no apparent reason which is frustrating; I've smoked for 40+ years so I'm used to inhaling smoke. I tend to chain vape so that may be part of the problem.

I'm not trying to quit smoking, I just enjoy the juice flavors and making clouds. This is more of a hobby than a habit for me. Any advice on cloud making would be appreciated.

The only problem with my topbox is that the battery doesn't seem to last very long. Are there any longer lasting batteries available? Does anyone make a stand alone battery charger for these batteries? Is it ok to vape with the mod connected to a charger?

I'm also looking for recommendations on a stick style for a backup. I already have a cheap one that is just unacceptable so I'm looking for a higher quality even if it costs a little more. There's probably a thread for that and I'll go look for it but I look forward to any replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Ideas.

Get a 2 x 18650 mod. (or a 3!)
Kanger mods aren't exactly know to be kind on the batteries.
Stick style batteries are unreliable and not generally liked by most.
Vaping made me cough. I smoked any old junk tobacco too.
Stand alone chargers are the way forward.
USB charging is unreliable and not generally liked by most.
I like Xtar and Nitecore chargers.
My favourite batteries right now are Samsung 30Q.
(except yesterday I bought 4 x 25R)

Welcome @ExtremeDooty :)

Reactions: Izan

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Definitely invest in a standalone charger. It's safer, it doesn't rely on the ruggedness of that little USB port and it lets you use one battery while charging one or more others.

I use an Efest LUC 2 bay charger, but the Nitecore and Xtar chargers are excellent, too.

As @djsvapour says, the 30Q and 25R batteries are well suited for that device.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Get a stand alone charger. Xtar and Nitecore are my faves too. Also go to a 2-3 battery mod will make the charge last longer. The Wismec Predator is cheap right now, as is the Reuleaux 2/3 or the RX200. The various multi-battery Smoant mods are fairly well thought of and are not high dollar. And I also do not care for stick-type mods (except tube mechanicals, which I do not recommend to you). It will be cheaper to buy a pair of mods, or one of each or something, than a new mod and a stick-type. As to cloud, think high-VG, high watts and low ohms. Any or all of the above may be why you're coughing, BTW. If you really want cloud, something like a Smok Alien with one of the TFV tanks-- there are several mod/tank combos available-- should get you moving. Those are really powerful in the multi-battery configurations, though: they'd make me cough too. I am personally partial to the LG series batteries; the LG HE4 is a good choice. Also the HE2, but there's some counterfeits running around now and I am not comfortable recommending them to a newbie. My personal favorite batteries are the LG HD2C and the Sony VTC5A, but they're probably overkill for you and more money than you need to spend. Welcome to the board.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I knew I'd like this site. I've learned more about vaping in the last two days than the past year. Thanks for the replies.

You'll have to forgive me for the unusual response @ExtremeDooty

I had a load of things to take care of after Vapefest 2017.

and a badly behaved Penguin. (That's only understood by vapers who like Joyetech....)

:)

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @ExtremeDooty !

+1 on a stand alone charger, 4 bay for future proofing.

Want a decent (I didn't say great :)) stick? A Smok Stick V8 works fairly nice and comes with the Big Baby tank at a price not much more then the tank alone. Decent clouds too.

Then take a look at the Smok GX2/4 mod. The kit comes with another Big Baby tank if you are liking the V8. The mod runs in dual 18650 mode (good battery life in a small, comfortable size) or quad mode when you want/need multi day batter life or get an atty that needs more then 120 watts. It should get you as far as you can imagine going.

Reactions: Mike McVape

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
You'll have to forgive me for the unusual response @ExtremeDooty

I had a load of things to take care of after Vapefest 2017.

and a badly behaved Penguin. (That's only understood by vapers who like Joyetech....)

:)
No apology needed, I understood everything in your reply. (Well I did have to look a couple of things up). Now I'll have to search Joyetech/Penguin.

Thanks for all the other replies, too. I thought this would be an easy hobby to pick up, just buy something and start blowing big clouds. I'm just glad I'm retired so I have time to devote to all the research.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if you are chain-vaping clouds and dual using, I would expect a bit of coughing... How much nicotine are you using? (I apologize if I missed that answer already). If you are using nic at all, I might consider reducing the levels if you are vaping mainly as a hobby rather than to quit... I started out too high on DL vaping, and it made me cough a great deal, mainly due to nic overload. If you are vaping at high wattage, too hot a vape might make you cough as well.

Best of luck making a setup to work for you!

Anna

Reactions: QcVaper

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Most of my juice on hand is 3mg nic and 65/35 Pg/Vg. I generally start out at 18W and increase up to 22W unless I start coughing. I just ordered some 30/70 and Max Vg juice from Ohm's Vapes. I'll also try not to vape like I'm smoking a Winston. Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting to find what works for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sounds like it. Maybe for a smoother throat hit, you do want to try higher VG, and see if that aids the coughing. It's fine to vape something like a Winston, but if you are vaping the equivalent of say 5--6 in a row, you COULD try adding a bit of VG to the juice you have to reduce the nic level slightly (you want USP grade, can get at most pharmacies or walmart, even to 2 or 1.5, and see if that helps you in the short term...

I don't think you are too far from resolving your issues, just need to play with some variables a bit!

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Most of my juice on hand is 3mg nic and 65/35 Pg/Vg. I generally start out at 18W and increase up to 22W unless I start coughing. I just ordered some 30/70 and Max Vg juice from Ohm's Vapes. I'll also try not to vape like I'm smoking a Winston. Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting to find what works for me.

I'm not that familiar with your gear, so not sure how it will handle higher VG juice. But something that may help with that as well as your coughing:

When I started vaping, I tried to vape like I smoked. That was taking 15 or so hits in a 5 or 6 minute stretch. I soon found I just couldn't do that, it was just too much. Since I didn't have the same restrictions with vaping, I found stretching those 15 or so hits out over an hour or more was actually more satisfying then waiting that hour for another smoke break. I'm sure your situation is different then mine, but see if stretching those hits out a bit works for you. It will also help with keeping your wick soaked.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread