Anyone tried the NEW kanger-Subtank VERTICAL OCC coils??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
OK. A buddy of mine that owns a local b&m hooked me up with a pack of the 0.5 ohm vertical coils from his limited stock. He says his shipment should be in by the end of the week. Anyways, I put one in my Subtank Plus, one in my Mini (using the new base with two slots and swapping to the old base with one slot), and one in my Nano. Couple of things I noticed. First, the air flow seems pretty well identical to the old coils. It might be a smidge better, but nothing phenomenal. Also, there's no appreciable difference in air flow between the old Mini base and the new. Makes sense. Your two bottlenecks in air flow are the air slots at the base of the coil (identical in size to the old coil) and in the shaft in the tank. So airflow volume is the same, for all intents and purposes. Here's how the flow is different. In the new Mini base (and the Plus base), air comes from both sides and doesn't need to wrap around the afc ring to get to the coil. It doesn't improve air flow, but it DOES reduce air turbulence and air noise. That's good, but has nothing to do with the new coils. Air in these new coils shoots straight up the center of the coil and has better exposure to the vapor the coil produces. These things do allow for better simultaneous vapor production and wicking, as these features aren't fighting each other. Speaking of wicking, these things are beasts. The holes have about twice the surface area as the old coils. Max VG? Yep. 100% VG cut with 1.5% distilled water (roughly 90% VG consistency) vapes like a champ. No dry hits with ten consecutive, rapid 7 to 9 second hits at 45 watts. Nice. Pretty toasty, though (for my taste). I'd imagine I can vape 100% VG at 45-50 watts with little to no issues. Flavor and vapor production are better than the old coils at 30+ watts. Between roughly 20 and 25 watts, the older coils perform equally to these. Below 20 watts, the old coils perform noticeably better.

On a side note, these are going to be a pain in the tuckus to rebuild. Unlike the old coils, the top doesn't pop off... there is no separate top section, actually. That's going to make a vertical rebuild really challenging, as I've had to do my rebuilds with the old coils by wicking the outside of the coil before I install it, then insert the wicked coil in the top of the chassis before reinstalling the top of the chassis and attaching the coil leads to the right spot. Then came adjusting and adding to the wrapped wicking. Too tight to do that here with no removable top section. Must reformulate my methodology.

So, performance in the Plus and Mini are about identical. The level of performance and flavor I get from the new coils in my Nano is impressive. The vapor seems denser and thicker and flavor is noticeably improved as compared to the other 2 tanks. I noticed this with the older coils too... that's why my Nano is generally my every day driver. Guess the shorter chimney makes the vapor more intense.

These coils rock... definitely ordering some this coming week. Can't wait for the ni200 TC variants (hopefully coming very soon). Also curious about the 1.5 ohm coils with the reduced wicking hole size and coil diameter for the mouth to lung crowd. Possible Nautilus Mini killer with the Nano?

Last edited:

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
OK. A buddy of mine that owns a local b&m hooked me up with a pack of the 0.5 ohm vertical coils from his limited stock. He says his shipment should be in by the end of the week. Anyways, I put one in my Subtank Plus, one in my Mini (using the new base with two slots and swapping to the old base with one slot), and one in my Nano. Couple of things I noticed. First, the air flow seems pretty well identical to the old coils. It might be a smidge better, but nothing phenomenal. Also, there's no appreciable difference in air flow between the old Mini base and the new. Makes sense. Your two bottlenecks in air flow are the air slots at the base of the coil (identical in size to the old coil) and in the shaft in the tank. So airflow volume is the same, for all intents and purposes. Here's how the flow is different. In the new Mini base (and the Plus base), air comes from both sides and doesn't need to wrap around the afc ring to get to the coil. It doesn't improve air flow, but it DOES reduce air turbulence and air noise. That's good, but has nothing to do with the new coils. Air in these new coils shoots straight up the center of the coil and has better exposure to the vapor the coil produces. These things do allow for better simultaneous vapor production and wicking, as these features aren't fighting each other. Speaking of wicking, these things are beasts. The holes have about twice the surface area as the old coils. Max VG? Yep. 100% VG cut with 1.5% distilled water (roughly 90% VG consistency) vapes like a champ. No dry hits with ten consecutive, rapid 7 to 9 second hits at 45 watts. Nice. Pretty toasty, though (for my taste). I'd imagine I can vape 100% VG at 45-50 watts with little to no issues. Flavor and vapor production are better than the old coils at 30+ watts. Between roughly 20 and 25 watts, the older coils perform equally to these. Below 20 watts, the old coils perform noticeably better.

On a side note, these are going to be a pain in the tuckus to rebuild. Unlike the old coils, the top doesn't pop off... there is no separate top section, actually. That's going to make a vertical rebuild really challenging, as I've had to do my rebuilds with the old coils by wicking the outside of the coil before I install it, then insert the wicked coil in the top of the chassis before reinstalling the top of the chassis and attaching the coil leads to the right spot. Then came adjusting and adding to the wrapped wicking. Too tight to do that here with no removable top section. Must reformulate my methodology.

So, performance in the Plus and Mini are about identical. The level of performance and flavor I get from the new coils in my Nano is impressive. The vapor seems denser and thicker and flavor is noticeably improved as compared to the other 2 tanks. I noticed this with the older coils too... that's why my Nano is generally my every day driver. Guess the shorter chimney makes the vapor more intense.

These coils rock... definitely ordering some this coming week. Can't wait for the ni200 TC variants (hopefully coming very soon). Also curious about the 1.5 ohm coils with the reduced wicking hole size and coil diameter for the mouth to lung crowd. Possible Nautilus Mini killer with the Nano?
Thanks for the detailed impressions on these! I'm looking forward to them now. I have literally 17 unused original occs right now, so I'll wait until they're readily available. Also waiting on the vertical ni200.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Something else I noticed while vaping on these... the new coils' wicking isn't flush with the outer wall of the coil head like it is with the older occ coils. This is likely due to the wick literally being wrapped around the exterior of the coil and not being pancaked into the wells. This is actually a good thing. The little recessed well actually pulls juice into the wick slightly better. Paired with the larger size of the hole, this makes for a beasty wicking machine. Ran 100% VG in the Nano today at 45 watts with zero issues, chain-vaping like a chimney. Running at 50 watts with 100% VG, I didn't get a dry hit, per se, but the wick did dry SLIGHTLY while I chain vaped, and after the seventh long pull. VG diluted with distilled water to 90% consistency chain vaped great at 50 watts. That's the recommended max wattage for these, so I wouldn't take it any higher, even with a thinner juice... 50 watts is pretty damn warm on these coils. Come on, ni200 vertical coils... I'm a-waitin' for ya.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Oh yeah... I'm vaping a custom NET DIY that I put together with a mixture of honey caramel black cavendish, cherry vanilla cavendish, chocolate hazelnut perique, a full bodied cuban cigar, and a smooth dominican. Sounds complex, but is GREAT. It's also got 3mg of a nic/wta base. All of this with 100% VG, thinned to 90% consistency with 1.5% distilled water. This juice is a thick, dark, sweet (naturally, no added sweeteners or flavors)NET, and like all NETs is a proper coil killer and burns through the old OCC heads in a week... sometime 5 days. These coils handle the juice just fine and wick like a monster.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
I've only had the chance to use the one that came with my subox kit, and I like it but I think I got a wonky coil. It burns super hot, I use it at 12 watts and it's as hot as my arctic on about 30. I tried to go to 25 and it burned my throat. I'm not talking about a "warm vape" I'm talking unbearably hot. But like I said it's wonky, has a weird kink in the kanthal towards the bottom. Vapes great at 10-15 watts though lol

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
image.jpg
Ah also, tried the 1.5 ohm vertical occ (also in my kit) and the thing floods instantly. The center tube is very very misaligned with the outer casing:
Dunno if this is the cause but definitely another wonky coil. 0-2 on my first two kanger occ coils :( but I understand that with more quantity comes more mishaps...unlucky me

(Before anyone suggests user error, I primed them both correctly using this forum as a guide, and then took out the 1.5 whem it flooded (after One Pull) and soaked juice from it with paper towel until the wick was practically dry, put it back in, one pull and then gurgle gurgle again, gentle mouth pulls, air wide open, no way for it to not flood)

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
saw where theyve come out with the vertical occ coils.. just wanted to see if anyone has tried them yet before i purchase them. or if you think they would be better than the original ones for any reason?
They are freaking amazing. I use 100 VG (allergic to PG) and they have never dry hit on me. Ripping it at 45 watts, and that would have killed me on the old coils. I also use the 1.5 ohm with the lowest setting draw for MTL when stealth vaping. (Movies etc) It performs just as well as I could ever hope. Great flavor or both, great vapor on the .5, and probably the most comfortable and flavorful MTL hit I've ever gotten from anything since my Nautalis mini.

Reactions: hashtag

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio

I would say definitely so. I usually use my Nautilus mini for MTL Stealth vaping, and have since moved to my new Subox kit with the 1.5 coils. Phenomenal. Genuinely phenomenal. Comfortable, flavorful, dense, exactly what I would want from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread